• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 01:06 AM

Really neat, thanks for posting this, never heard of one before. Now, if I can just put it to use using the ~ 300 to ~ 2,000 cfm river on my property, I could water the lawn for free ( kinda)

#17 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 01:46 PM

If the drive pipe is too long, there becomes too many pulses in the pipe and can crack the pipe or the pump. The stand pipe gives the pulse a place to escape. The stand pipe can be the same ID as the drive pipe and the height of the pipe needs to be above the height of your source. If the stand pipe is not tall enough, the water will just run out of it. The end of it needs to be open to allow the pulse to escape. You could put a screen over it to keep leaves out.
  • twostep said thank you

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:53 AM

I plan to let it run all winter...

Thanks for posting this. So will you shut it down when a hard freeze comes along?

Even though I doubt I'll ever use it (all of my water sources are very flat) it's still interesting. Keep us updated on it.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:11 PM

This very interesting,i am not sure if i can use this and may have to wait a year or so to see.
I had a spring that ran all year last year i was hoping to tap. But with the drought this year it dried up, so am not sure if i have enough water to make something like tis work.

#20 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for posting this. So will you shut it down when a hard freeze comes along?

Even though I doubt I'll ever use it (all of my water sources are very flat) it's still interesting. Keep us updated on it.

A "hard freeze" here is a heavy frost elsewhere. :smilewink: As long as the pump keeps pumping, the water should not freeze. The stream has never froze.

If your water source has a current, you may want to look at building a waterwheel. There are folks that have built a waterwheel and wrapped tubing about the axis creating an Archimedes screw that looks to work quite well. I think the cost to build one is quite a bit more than building a ram pump unless you have materials available .
  • KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:48 AM

The spools from the cable TV line crews made quick and easy water wheels when they were wood years ago. They lasted about 7 years before rot got them.

#22 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I like finding ways to "repurpose" things that are available. The cable spools would make cool looking waterwheels.

I think that if one is to use a waterwheel with hose wrapped liked an Archimedes screw, the intake for the screw (when it is at the 12 o'clock position) should be higher than where the water is to be delivered. I may be wrong, but that is what makes sense to me.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 03:05 PM

If my physics class memories is right, you can achieve up to 4' of lift.

EDIT: I did a little googling and one test claimed a lift of nearly 30'.

#24 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Are you looking at the ram pump or the water wheel?