Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ahh Got To Spill The Beans (new Repower Engine For Bolens 1256)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:50 PM

For you that remember me posting 1256 to 1256D diesel conversion That engine i was going to get the deal went south I posted another wanted add on Kijiji Sure enough a few minutes after posting i get a email i have kubota 2 cylinder $200 i find out where he was (and it was to far to just drive there and back 10 hour trip) so he emailed me saying he is coming down (actually east) and he is going to be with in 100 Km of where i am and he would like a extra $50 for bringing it along I said Sure (to drive there is at least $60) turns out the engine is a z482 off of a reefer and Even better he sent a video of it running and it sounds Good my Dad and i are taking a run up there and picking it up next weekend :) :dancingbanana: i plan to make this a school project and to put this kubota z482 in a bolens 1256 hydro Also i want to build 3 point hitch (there was Never one factory made) so my question is what Dimensions should i follow ? and what class ? also i think that its going to be in the limited class and i am adding Aux hydraulics (should of been optional Equipment) and i am going to try doing this WITHOUT cutting and lengthening the frame from the grill to the back of the Wisconsin engine is 13 inches from the fly wheel on the kubota the the Pto is something like 13 inches It might just get No hood tho Cant wait to get this started
  • twostep said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sorry to hear you didnt want to rebuild the old TRA-12D....

Hope the "re-power" goes smooth for you and you wont have to cut up the hood/frame to install it........

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Sorry to hear you didnt want to rebuild the old TRA-12D....

Hope the "re-power" goes smooth for you and you wont have to cut up the hood/frame to install it........

That Tra 12D is not going any where (I Do plan to Clean it up) but am not going to Bore it over crank grind I might get new rings and hone the cylinder also Acid bath the crank if any thing the kubota engine is going to get Modified oil pan to fit into the frame If worse comes to worse it Will Get No hood or after i get the other hood make up for my h14 i might use the remains (of the Junk hood ) to extend the hood Slightly My family is all mechanical or metal workers and there is one thing i have learned "Unlike wood metal can be cut ground dented or drilled and it Can Always be put back" it all depends on skill level But i Do agree with you its not nice to Cut a chunk of or dent apart out drill a big hole Im the kind-of person that Likes to Tweak thinks for better or if its broke fix it (some times Replace) with that tractor there is No Way i would Cut a Huge hole in the hood for a Smoke Stack or Air cleaner or for the oil cap
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like a good deal you found. Be sure to keep us posted with plenty of pictures! :picsoritsnotyours:
You know how we all love to look at pictures of GT's! :wewantpics:

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:00 PM

not sure how big the 1256 is so it's hard to advise about the hitch. i will tell you that you can get pin sleeves for mounting cat0 implements on a cat1 lift but you can't go the other way around. I can't wait to see this Kubota running the Bolens!

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:52 AM

The F150 is loaded for the 4 hour trip :) i am going to pick up fuel on the reserve's Note the yellow and red cans the straps are loaded we are leaving at 11:30 and what do you know its Snowing :/ Will post pictures when i get back :) :dancingbanana: :wave: :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0599.JPG

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:02 PM

got out there .. With Out getting lost :) got fuel burned $60 in fuel the trip was 4 hours got the engine and the parts (alternator/air filter/muffler and some other stuff Going to try to decode the model and ser number to see what i have but for now im happy Mans version of Cute LOL lmao it has Wicked compression Also he sent me a vid of it running

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0604.JPG
  • IMG_0605.JPG
  • IMG_0602.JPG
  • IMG_0603.JPG

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:12 PM

It appears to be in excellent condition. Glad to see it in your truck, now just bolt it into the tractor and take pics! lol.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:18 PM

She does look good! Hope she runs out perfect! Radiator???

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Even if it didn't come with the radiator (and requires one) you could adapt one out of just about anything without too much hassle or cost.

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:21 PM

He had no rad :( might get one from a honda or a Atv i thought they would be 1 1/4 nipples but there only 3/4 - 1

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I tryed to find the year it was made But no luck how ever the starter is dated 1998 i dont think its got alot of use its from a refer unit and it has the individual levers for stop/run slow/fast it looks Alot better in person its just a Little Dirty The Massive oil pan and Fram filter have to go Also here is the Small hole it going to be Stuffed into IMG_0583.JPG also here is the Thread that the re-power is going to be under http://gardentractor...diesel-repower/
cheers
Ty

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:00 PM

He had no rad :( might get one from a honda or a Atv i thought they would be 1 1/4 nipples but there only 3/4 - 1

An ATV radiator likely wouldn't cool it nearly enough anyway. You need a 3 or 4 core radiator built for diesel for this engine.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:09 PM

That is going to be a tight fit, good luck and have fun.

#15 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:30 PM

An ATV radiator likely wouldn't cool it nearly enough anyway. You need a 3 or 4 core radiator built for diesel for this engine.

I might know where a Rad In a box of parts from a Ford 1200 Diesel tractor is i think it has a perkins / sh i cant rember the rest 3 cylinder diesel