• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:37 PM

I added another Sears today an SS15 looks to be complete other than gas tank,seat and amp guage. I tried starting it but I dont have spark the plug, The plug wire itself has spark as i found out by the grab it test, but when i put a plug on the wire im getting no fire out of the plug even with a new plug??? Is this a wiring issue somewhere else. Im new to Sears tractors so any info would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• ss15.2.jpg
  • ss15.3.jpg
  • ss15.jpg

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Are you holding the end of the plug to a good ground when you test for spark? Sorry but I had to ask, being on the other end of a computer trying to diagnose something is tough, so you always (me) want to start with the simple things that can get over looked. If it is grounded good what type of ignition system does this engine have? If it has points it could just be they are dirty and you are getting a weak spark.

A bit more info on the engine will help. In any case good luck and congrats on the new GT! :thumbs:
  • Brando said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:27 PM

One thing I've been warned about on the Capacitive Discharge Ignitions is to always make sure the plug has a good ground before cranking. A tech told me that the will build up charge until discharge occurs internally and that can cause damage.

Re grab-it test... You're a braver man than I am, I only do that by accident. Then I curse, loudly and creatively.

Was the hit a big one or manageable? It may be weak if it was manageable. I have found that if you have a slow crank speed, the spark will be anemic at best. Make sure you got a good battery in there, will make a difference.

• Brando said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:32 PM

One thing I've been warned about on the Capacitive Discharge Ignitions is to always make sure the plug has a good ground before cranking. A tech told me that the will build up charge until discharge occurs internally and that can cause damage.

Re grab-it test... You're a braver man than I am, I only do that by accident. Then I curse, loudly and creatively.

Was the hit a big one or manageable? It may be weak if it was manageable. I have found that if you have a slow crank speed, the spark will be anemic at best. Make sure you got a good battery in there, will make a difference.

Oh Is this a Solid State Tec engine? And I also want to thank you! I didn't know about the damage that could occur if you crank without grounding. :thumbs:

#5 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

It was a managable hit, so im guessing a weak spark. next step would be to clean the points and try again. The battery is brand new I borrowed from another tractor.

#6 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Its a 15hp cast iron briggs

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Oh, you got one with a Briggs. I would clean the points and then change the condenser.

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:04 PM

bth_congrats.jpg
  • Brando said thank you

#9 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:24 PM

i pulled the battery tray out and found a bunch of disconnected wires after i cleaned the points and swapped out condensers from another engine. still have a week spark.i think i need to get mmy wiring in order. the wire from the condenser to the dash was one of the wires not connected.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Sounds as if someone did a little field engineering on it.

Good luck.

#11 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Yes the 15hp B&S is correct for that GT. Probably bout a 1972?? Pull the flywheel off and clean the magnetto along with the inside of the flywheel. Get all that crap outa there with a wire wheel, wire brush....etc. Just make sure you set the gap right when putting the magnetto back on. (useing a business card in between is perfect), this gets over looked alot but will wipe out your spark if its all rusted up. good luck....