• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:06 AM

the guys making the twinkies took a pay cut, the guys delivering the twinkies took a pay cut. the guys making money off of the first two got a raise and a big bonus for saving money. I'd strike too!

#32 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:20 AM

If you want to bust the unions, start with the UAW, a new car would be half the price. But the other end would be a $8 an hour guy reroofing your house, for the 3rd time and it still leaks. Unions have gotten a bad rap lately, but they wont use anyone willing to work for $8 an hour and cant climb a ladder

#33 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:40 AM

the guys making the twinkies took a pay cut, the guys delivering the twinkies took a pay cut. the guys making money off of the first two got a raise and a big bonus for saving money. I'd strike too!

If you do a bit of research, you will find that the top 4 execs had their pay dropped to $1.00 a year. I'd hardly call that a bonus. It was set to expire in Dec this year.

#34 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:45 AM

My bad, I only know what they show on the news. They tend to slant it one way or the other.

Several local guys out of a job. I know a few other "skilled/ non skilled" unions who went on strike in the last few years, only to go back to work for less money and a pension cut.

A 3% raise with 4% inflation is no raise union or non union.

Edited by rat88, November 18, 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#35 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:23 AM

I heard in an earlier report this summer that Hostess was closing because of competition and people eating Better foods and not this junk they made. Never cared much for products in last 10 yrs. Didn't taste as good as I remembered when younger. They say a twinkie would last in a Nuclear war, just like the Cockroaches. Must be all the chems for preservatives they used??

#36 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:25 AM

rumor I heard is that they've filled bankruptcy and theyr done. I barely eat the stuff anyway and if I have a craving the no-name brand will do.....now if Makers Mark decides to go under...ther MAY be a problem........ :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#37 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Does anyone remember that classic book "The Jungle"? It's a story about the working conditions in the Chicago Stockyards in the good ole days. In the beginning, the Unions were started to address bad/unsafe working conditions and unfair practices. Only later did they begin to control wages.
Is anyone aware of the children in India who work in small factories smelting metals such as brass wearing rags, in their bare feet; working long hours 7 days a week? Would you complain if they organized to overcome this?
But, like anything else, corruption gets involved and turns a good thing into something else.
I remember back in the 80s (?) when Volkswagen was on hard times; the German auto union actively was involved in reorganizing and volutaarily took a paycut to help. Not all unions are bad and not all unions are the problem. You don't hear about the good ones.

#38 GTTinkerer ONLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:52 AM

My bad, I only know what they show on the news. They tend to slant it one way or the other.

Several local guys out of a job. I know a few other "skilled/ non skilled" unions who went on strike in the last few years, only to go back to work for less money and a pension cut.

A 3% raise with 4% inflation is no raise union or non union.

Tell that to the military folks and retirees.

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 18, 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#39 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:33 AM

I am a member of a union. In my experience, it's the national / international leaders who call the shots. The locals guys are only led to believe that their agendas and opinions matter. I simply can't understand why the national bakers union would endorse this strike when they were privy to the fact that the company was filing for bankruptcy. They will lose the dues money from their members among those 18,500 employees. That can't be good for their bottom line.

#40 RoosterLew ONLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:00 AM

A few years ago I took a 10% pay cut to keep the company I work for afloat. Was not happy about it, but at least I wasn't part of the majority in the company that got laid off.
Last week I got a $900 bonus for the excessive overtime I worked the month before when the company was in trouble and asked its employees for help.
Thanks to the owners and management making tough decisions and the right calls, we have come through a period of financial struggle to a point where are only struggle now is being able to ship our product!
We cannot hire enough skilled employees. The ones that are skilled enough, want to sit on their but and play with their cell phones. The saddest part is what we need the worst is about 5 good CNC machinist. With all the airline layoffs, dozens of shops within a few hours having closed or reduced person ell in the last few years, we cannot find 5 good machinist?

My son in-law made the statement:"I'm voting for the guy that will pay me more"

The problem is the American worker no longer wants to work for his money. The American CEO no longer cares about the companies financial health, the American Union no longer cares about truly looking out for the long term good of the Company or it's employees!

Your right Rat, we don't hear about the good unions. A good union understands that the company must survive for the employees to survive. A good union makes a company stronger and healthier, it keeps the employees happy and the company happy, and happy doesn't make the news!

We, as employees and voters as a group have lost site of the fact that the "company" is us, the employees. The " Govt" is us, the voters. When we say the "company" should pay, we are the ones paying. When we say " the Govt should pay" , It is Us who pays.

Taxes levied on businesses are non-productive and hurtful to the business. They hurt the economy and we all feel that in our pockets.

I say Bravo to the decision makers that said close the doors. Let failing businesses fail.…the businesses who take care of business will thrive. Let those who don't want to work for their money go home and not work.

Btw , when I did not get laid off, some called me lucky? That pissed me off! I busted my hump for years. I worked hard to learn a valuable trade. When the boss asked me to do something I did it. I treated my job as if it were important to me and my way of life. I earned my pay and my position. Luck was never involved.

The new American way of more for less is biting us in the ass. Work for what you want, earn what your paid and America can survive. Vote for those who will do the same!

Most of all… something we all here are good at… preserve American history and ideas, they are what built this Awesome country and what will Save it!
  • olcowhand, broken2, larrybl and 6 others have said thanks

#41 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:16 AM

The part that's not being reported is that with the 8% cut, that they were going to get 3% back next year, and another 1% after that.

#42 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:26 AM

May we all bow our heads in prayer..

402399_438732926186383_894717416_n.jpg
  • RoosterLew said thank you

#43 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I can't remember the last time I ate a snack cake. Used to buy them all the time

#44 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:54 PM

The previously mentioned roofers showed up today to fix the leak. I wanted to be here when they did the job to check their work. They showed up early and left a pile of flashing and nails on the patio, I guess they are coming back to clean up later? http://gardentractor...O_DIR#/mad2.gif

Upon inspecting the work, this is what I found:

This was warranty work from a fly by night contractor that popped up after a hail storm. This guy wont even climb the ladder to look at it and I dont think he knows what end of the hammer to grab a hold of. He will hire anyone that will work for $1 above minimum wage and this is the proof

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#45 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:00 PM

The previously mentioned roofers showed up today to fix the leak. I wanted to be here when they did the job to check their work. They showed up early and left a pile of flashing and nails on the patio, I guess they are coming back to clean up later? http://gardentractor...O_DIR#/mad2.gif

Upon inspecting the work, this is what I found:

This was warranty work from a fly by night contractor that popped up after a hail storm. This guy wont even climb the ladder to look at it and I dont think he knows what end of the hammer to grab a hold of. He will hire anyone that will work for $1 above minimum wage and this is the proof

WOW! What idiots!