• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:40 PM

I was looking, in our manuals section, at a file from MAR73 Popular Science. Its an article about LTs and GTs. One table shows that a brand new Bolens HT-18 was over $2700 new. I remember my local Chevy dealer having a sale on green Chevy C-10s that spring. They were $2700. This got me thinking as to what are the GTs really worth(not market value).

My tractors do work for me, allowing me to stay independant. My tractors are my toys that I play with, which can be a great stress reliever. I take pride in fixing them myself especially when I have to make a part. Its a good old working partner.

What tractor today is equivalent to my 1250? What would it cost for a new one? I suspect an equivalent tractor would be over $10,000. I sure could not afford that.

One of the other threads was talking about the prices on old tractors. I figure that as long as the benefits are greater than the cost, its a good deal. Whether I have the money is a different problem. For many of us the stress relief alone is worth alot. I'm curious what others think. Good Luck

#2 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,717 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:06 PM

yes it is a delemma, they certainly dont go up in value like cars do, which generally cost more to maintain, it would be nice if there was a blue book out like cars to refer to. i have fallen into the frame of mind its worth what someone will pay, until then its worthless, i have seen gts in auction that i think would be better off as scrap go for big bucks, then again i picked up a 1974 john deere 140 h3 for $175, i probably could have got it cheaper as the auctioneer was asking 350 and i gave him the half sign, i was the only bidder, oh well, the tractors that i have sold lately ( i am only going for wheel horse now) i put out with a minimum, i print my ad saying offers over $500 will contact person with highest offer, it seems to elimanate the guys wanting to give you $50 and waste your time, and if he really wants it he will offer more, or you just keep it for another 10-20 years and go on collecting ha ha!!
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Old GT's are worth their weight in gold to the person that loveingly restored them and use them. As for market value, you will never recoop the dollars and hours it took to restore, and try and sell a 25 - 30 year old GT to a throw-a-way market.

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:37 PM

... What tractor today is equivalent to my 1250? What would it cost for a new one? I suspect an equivalent tractor would be over $10,000. I sure could not afford that. ...

Looking at some specs on the John Deere site, I'd say that a 1250, or any of the single cylinder Large frames, could go head to head with their X500 series with no problem, and might be treading into X700 territory.

The 1886 and the HT large frames should compare with the X700 series.

In fact I'd put my HT20D and HDT1000 diesels up against any of the equivalent powered/engine displacement scuts on the market.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Yes unfourtanetly we will most likely never get back out of them what we have in them and yes, this deff is a "throw-a-way" world we live in today sadly. However my plan is this.......I love the oldest tractors I can find, 1- because of the way older tractors look and 2- because of their history....ex- father-to-son, father-to-son....everything was passed down back then. So, mine will all go to my kids and they will have strong durable machines built to handle anything they'll need done while starting and raiseing a family of their own.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Like I tell people, you go out and plow your garden with one of these new GT's, then next week you'll be replacing the transmission. But if you plow with one of these, next week you'll be planting.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well, an equivalent tractor to my 420 is about $17,000 (Cdn) at the dealership, w/loader and 3 point, but not including other attachments. It is a slightly better unit, but the smaller ones don't have/do what the 420 does.

My dump truck is like that too, and I include it because it's pretty much an accessory to my tractor. You can't get a dealer to install a dump box on a standard one ton anymore because safety regs (at least here) require a fancy bumper attached to the frame. You certainly can't get one with no options not necessary for work. So suddenly you're looking at a 3 ton and I don't even want to know what that'd cost new with a dump box and hydraulic system.

Those prices put these things waaaay out of my range.

Then there are the intangibles.

Given all the work I do with these two old pieces of equipment, the pain relievers I don't have to buy, the work I don't have to miss, the money I save not paying for delivery of soil, rock and lumber, the beer I don't drink because the last one got warm (or froze) because I was having too much fun to finish it, the lack of alimony because projects were done and I was out of the wife's hair, and all those other things, I'm going to go ahead and say that my tractor and dump truck are worth at least a million bucks apiece.

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:45 PM

I can only imagine what it would cost me at JD to replace the 318 with something that has all the options it does,

I think I was looking at like 12K or something,

So if my motor dies, I'm just going to save up for the honda,

But the tractors don't ask for alot of resources for what they do around my house, they don't need plates, or insurance, unlike some other toys. I find its an affordable hobby. I've even got a couple buddies converted over from other hobbies because they're more affordable.

Once the house and Kids come along..... Well we know that story,

I traded my H14 for the labour for putting my roof on, this contractor and his buddy went up there and just slammed it on, He was tickled pink to get that tractor, and it was something I saved from the scrapper, wasn't running when I got it