sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:33 AM

I am considered adding a AR15 or like model to my gun collection. Any one have any experience with them and any suggestions on what to buy? Thinking 223 ....can't buy top of the line, but must be dependable. Have owned a shotgun that jammed so i have no use for a gun that will not work.

Edited by sacsr, November 17, 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:06 AM

This is my look on it.. IF you have a use for that particular gun then go for it. IF it's just to add to your collection of fire power how about stepping down from a AR to a high end hunting or varmit rifle to get a higher quality gun.. I would hate to see you buy a new rifle and not be happy with it.
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:04 PM

I am not a big fan of autoloading centerfire rifles. For one thing people tend to substitute rapid fire for marksmanship.
They take what I call the spray & pray approach. spray the countryside and pray they hit something.
Secondly centerfire ammo is too pircey to not make every shot count in my opinion.
Owning a .222,.223 and 22 hornet I sure can not fault one for choosing a .22 centerfire.
I have a Savage 10FP .223 bolt action,that was marketed as a police sniper riflle and has the 22 inch bull barrel It in reality is a varmint rifle in black.
I have useed that in factory class varmint benchrest competition.
In my opinion Savage offers the most accuracy out of the box of any factory rifle.
I admit they are not the prettiest rifle, but reliable and accurate performance is a beautiful thing
That rifle is a bit heavy to carry all day, and I sometimes wish for a standard rifle as well.
My .222 is a savage 24vl. 222 over 20 guage and the 22 hornet is a H&R hadie rifle and thats my favorite carry rifle.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 17, 2012 - 05:10 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Having shot the AR in both semi and full forms (I have a friend who is licensed) it's a nice piece of equipment. And the smile after emptying a clip in seconds is harder to supress than the sound of the rifle.
However, I do fully agree on more is not better... One well placed shot is better than 20 wild ones.

Becoming accurate with a semi is difficult for me. Somehow it's harder to get right than my 30-30 brush gun or my 22 short are. Might be the weight, might be the expectation, might just be operator, but I've noticed it personally.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Here is the forum that can help with this.

http://www.ar15.com/index.html
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:39 PM

I have a Rock River AR and i am very happy with it. I have put a few thousand rounds threw it and have not had any problems. I stay away from the very cheap ammo, its way too dirty for me. My other experience was with a M16A2 while in basic. Full Auto is fun when you aint buying the ammo, well 3 round burst atleast. My biggest gripe with the AR family is that it is suceptable to dirt in the locking lug area. I found that it didnt take much sand to keep the lugs from engaging. I dont think you will be subjecting your personal AR to the abuse they see in military training.

I have shot some pieced together AR that functioned flawlessly and some high end that were very picky on their ammo. Do your homework and use your best judgement to find one that will fit your needs.
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:03 PM

I had a short lived experience in college with a m16a1 (pretty sure that was the correct model). I learned very quickly that TV gun battles with the soldier running up the hill and shooting all the way, was not very accurate. Been over 30 years but I do remember the clip did not last long, i am thinking it was about 7 seconds. I handled a Colt recently that a friend of mine has, and was surprised how heavy it was. I may not end up getting one, but gathering info in case I do decide to take that step. I appreciate all the advice that had been given in this thread.b
Thanks!

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Ruger Mini 14 or Ranch Rifle maybe? I'm not much for the assault "look". As stated above, "capacity" ain't everything so learn to control your adrenalin and make one count.

Gun jammed? There's always a good reason why a gun "jams". Rarely design, way more often lack of manintenance or inexperience with the piece.
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:24 AM

AR15's are very dependable guns. For the doomsday preppers out there it's a ideal gun because the availability of parts. These guns are very sought after also because the customization aspects of the gun. You can change everything about this gun. You can buy a flat top (A3) and put EOTech, Red dot, Scope, Flip up rear site, scope or just basically any kind of site imaginable. You can also change the front handguard and mount a vertical grip, flashlight, laser site etc.... You can also buy a buttstock (i prefer a six positon adjustable) and adjust the gun to make it fit you. You can also buy grips and buttstocks that have storage in them for extra rounds and batteries. This gun can be made into a battlefield gun or a gun you can take deer hunting. As in the dependability of this gun. As long as the gas block system is kept clean it shouldn't have any diffuculty firing. A good AR 15 should be able to fire the cheapest steel case FMJ to the most expensive Nylon tip ballistic tip.

I have experience with the Panther Arms DPMS AP4 and it's a very dependable gun. It does the same thing as the Colts and Bushmasters do.
  • sacsr said thank you

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:24 PM

I had a DPMS and enjoyed shooting the few rounds that I shot. I did some trading for it... I would have never paid that kind of money for such an ugly gun. I mean for $800 or $900 you should get a sweet walnut stock and beautiful bluing! I've heard that Doublestar (based just up the road from me) is a really good gun for the price.
  • sacsr said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:56 PM

I will also say that I always wanted an AR and thought it would be cool to finally have one but it didnt take me long to get over the honeymoon... traded it for a Browning .22-250 Medallion.