16 replies to this topic

#1 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Wish I were there. Nice looker. Sweet price!

Anybody have any idea if that shroud paint job is factory. Second time I have seen a picture of a shroud like that.

http://boston.craigs...3410526169.html

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 01:21 AM

That is a cool looking unit! The thing that really caught my eye was the MM (108) I think. I wonder if he's selling it to?

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Chris I saw the same thing! Be nice if he would sell the MM!

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:17 AM

After spending a lot of time chasing a plow, drag and cultivator behind the family's horses as a kid I am not looking for a walk behind GT but if this was closer I would be real interested. What is the engine horsepower of the twin?

#5 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:19 AM

The ST engine is 5 HP.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Anybody have any idea if that shroud paint job is factory. Second time I have seen a picture of a shroud like that.

I'm not sure they were ever painted like that at the factory. Seems like that logo is shown in some of the advertising. The problem with early advertising is that most are artists drawings and not actual pictures of the machine. I have seen the decals like you bought off ebay on the shroulds. Saw your post on the stack about carbs and checked one last night. A large 3 screw float bowl flo-jet from a model 23 had the same spacing but the throat is bigger. Looks like it would bolt up OK though.
  • mrf1002u said thank you

#7 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Doug T,

I am having a little trouble with the whole small, medium and large thing. The data I CAN find and a reply I recieved from a post somewhere, seems to suggest that the medium flojet has a 3 bolt bowl and that the large had a 4 bolt bowl. That may be totally false, but I do not know. It is further confused by the fact that at least some flojets came in 1 AND 2 piece versions and seem to have had changes in the design as time went by.

The one I bought was said to be for a 5 hp model 14 briggs, so I think it will be able to handle the twin. Of course, the the model 14 briggs was a single and the Standard is a twin, so that could be a factor. I do not know the CFM of either carb, so that is no help. I know the Zenith on the Standard has a 3/4" throat and this flojet has a 7/8" throat but there seems to be enough meat in the intake to handle an extra 1/16" on all sides. Also the Zenith on the Standard has a 1-3/4" bolt pattern where the flojet is 1-13/16", but I am sure there is enough slop in the bolt holes to accomodate that too.

When I started this process, I was hoping to hear back from Mark Green (member of this forum) as to what he had on the twin he has, but I got impatient and bought one. I was really hoping to find a specs page that would compare the small, medium and large models and show measurements or identifying characteristics, but no soap. This whole small medium and large thing is very vague when all you have is a picture. Those sizes mean more when you are holding it.

#8 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Correction,

Getting my forums mixed up. I meant to say that Mark Green is a member of the "stack" forum. Forgot where I was for a minute.

Since Doug brought it up, here is that post if someone wants to check it or give input on either site.

http://www.smokstak....ad.php?t=112489

(Hope it is OK to post this here.) If not...sorry about that. I guess if it disappears, I will know.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm not sure what's being referred to by the medium flo-jet. I've always heard big or small, 3 or 4 screws. The 4 screw ones were newer and had the elbow for the aircleaner made in with the bowl. Check out the info here http://www.rucenterp...gs/carbtyp.html
This only deals with the 3 screw carbs scroll down the page and look at the type K and Type Q carbs.

The other thing you need to watch on these carbs is that the throttle works the right direction for the governor. Nothing like firing an engine up and having the throttle go wide open. It shouldn't bother you on the twin unless yours has the governor.

#10 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Mine does have the governor, and I hadn't thought of that, but the carb may only be temporary. Wouldnt be impossible to rig a bellcrank to switch pull direction if needed though.

Check these sites. As I said, there is a lot of conflicting info out there and for me it is also clouded by the era these carbs may be from and the fact that I do not have any of them in hand.
http://outdoorpoweri...ece_flo-jet.asp
http://outdoorpoweri...m_two_piece.asp
http://outdoorpoweri...ece_flo-jet.asp

The Zenith will probably go back in service, but I need to spend some time on it. Cork float is a little iffy and I want to see if I get similar results with a different carb. Haven't nailed it down to a carb or mag issue yet.

Thanks for the reply! :D

#11 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:54 PM

I forgot, thanks for the site link...i had already been there many times trying to figure out some scheme to these sizes. Not to mention nearly every other link on the web! LOL

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here's my take on this. The first Briggs models were letters, commonly called letter series engines. In the late 40's they went to a number system. The number was the cu-in of the engine. Today they are referred to as the number series. In those time frames the biggest engine they had was the Z or 23. There were big and small 3 bolt flo-jets that fit these era of engines. The switch was around the 14. That's what is shown on the asecc site. Now, looking at the site you posted, look at the model of engines they fit. In 66(?) they changed the model numbering to six digits and the first 2 are the cu-in. About the same time frame they also expanded the engines up to 32 cu-in. The small flo-jet shown is a 4 screw version. The medium flo-jet is the large 3 screw version. It has the removable air horn elbow. Its shown fitting 14-23 cu-in engines. That was probably the carb that got me with the backwards governor! The large flo-jet they show is the 4 screw version and its shown fitting up to the 32 cu-in engines. It may flow a little more, I've never seen any spec sheets on them. I know if your buying kits you only have 4 choices, at least where I get them.

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Another thought on your Zenith carb. Those seem to be bad for warpage on the flange where they mount. Try taking a nice flat file easy across the top of it.

#14 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:54 AM

I will check the mounting flange when I get around to building the Zenith.

So here is the one I bought from a model 14.

So if there is no medium, then this should definitely be a large 3 bolt flojet and should be fine for the 5 hp twinCarb02.jpg Carb03.jpg Carb01.jpg .

#15 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:57 AM

This one appears to have been sand or bead blasted. I may have to take it apart and verify it is clean. I do not have it in hand yet. I used to work in a carb shop and I know it is a bear to get all of the sand out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standard twin