• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:33 AM

No, really!!! OT, if you need someone to hold your elbow and help you down the stairs, please ask. It's no problem. Some day we'll be 55 yo and need help, too.

Gosh, thank you ! Could I have your cell phone number so I can call you when I reach 55 ( for the second time )

#47 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 03:13 PM

DONE ! snowblower on, soft cab on, wheel weights and chains on, and rear bweight bracket with 55 lb. weight on. Now southern Massachusetts is quaranteed no snow. HH, no pics 'cuz mine isn't as purty as yours. BUT, it is functional. I might try to make a set next summer that will have a litttle more space between the cross links so it's easier to jockey things into position. Thanks for the pics, they were a big help. :thumbs:
  • ggsteve said thank you

#48 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 03:58 PM

OT, how much space would you allow for the cross links if you make a new one?

#49 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:12 PM

OT, how much space would you allow for the cross links if you make a new one?

I'm not sure shorty. I think I'd measure instead of just eyeballing like I did this time. I'd try to get it so the cross link was in the middle between the blocks; also I think it might help to make the blocks higher These were 1" high.because i just bought the square dowels. In the summer I'll take my time and see what I can come up with. HydroHarold might have a better suggestion though, since it was his brainstorm.

#50 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'm not sure shorty. I think I'd measure instead of just eyeballing like I did this time. I'd try to get it so the cross link was in the middle between the blocks; also I think it might help to make the blocks higher These were 1" high.because i just bought the square dowels. In the summer I'll take my time and see what I can come up with. HydroHarold might have a better suggestion though, since it was his brainstorm.

ORRR........ maybe if I put the block right beside the crosslinks, going in one direction. Wouldn't that give me more slack to work with ?
Maybe there is no easier way....

#51 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 05:48 PM

DONE ! snowblower on, soft cab on, wheel weights and chains on, and rear bweight bracket with 55 lb. weight on. Now southern Massachusetts is quaranteed no snow. HH, no pics 'cuz mine isn't as purty as yours. BUT, it is functional. I might try to make a set next summer that will have a litttle more space between the cross links so it's easier to jockey things into position. Thanks for the pics, they were a big help. :thumbs:

OT you inspired me. I got the cab and lights hooked up and I put on the blower itself. It got dark so I didn't put the chains and weight tray on yet, but I plan that for tomorrow (when it's 20* colder)!
  • oldtimer said thank you

#52 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Even though my "system" looks oh so simple in the detailed photographs... There IS some science involved in the form of an accurate ruler or tape measure. One "should" lay their chains out ever so carefully on the floor and compare them to the scales on a good tape measure or ruler. Laid out flat with all the crosschains centered in their corresponding side link attachment points merely measure the center of the end of one crosslink to the very same point on the next crosslink. This measurement is your "Slot Spacing Guide Number" (SSGN).

One should try to repeat the SSGN as often as possible on the flat board for a more professional looking finished product. (See previously posted pictures for professional appearing finished product for comparison.) The further your chains are spaced such as "3 link" and "4 link" spacings will require wider (lengthwise) lugs to support the tire properly and allow the chains to slide though.

Redundant I know, but this review might save someone a few days of wasted effort and utter disappointment with a failed or worse yet, dangerously flimsy finished product.

EDIT: IMPORTANT! Before driving tractor onto block(s), lay chains out into spacers.

:D :dancingbanana:

Edited by HydroHarold, November 23, 2012 - 09:42 PM.

• oldtimer said thank you

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Even though my "system" looks oh so simple in the detailed photographs... There IS some science involved in the form of an accurate ruler or tape measure. One "should" lay their chains out ever so carefully on the floor and compare them to the scales on a good tape measure or ruler. Laid out flat with all the crosschains centered in their corresponding side link attachment points merely measure the center of the end of one crosslink to the very same point on the next crosslink. This measurement is your "Slot Spacing Guide Number" (SSGN).

One should try to repeat the SSGN as often as possible on the flat board for a more professional looking finished product. (See previously posted pictures for professional appearing finished product for comparison.) The further your chains are spaced such as "3 link" and "4 link" spacings will require wider (lengthwise) lugs to support the tire properly and allow the chains to slide though.

Redundant I know, but this review might save someone a few days of wasted effort and utter disappointment with a failed or worse yet, dangerously flimsy finished product.

EDIT: IMPORTANT! Before driving tractor onto block(s), lay chains out into spacers.

:D :dancingbanana:

Do we need to post pics of our creations so you can certify them as to being a copy of yours? Then we would all have HH 'certified' clones.

#54 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Do we need to post pics of our creations so you can certify them as to being a copy of yours? Then we would all have HH 'certified' clones.

Hey there you go. :D

#55 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Even though my "system" looks oh so simple in the detailed photographs... There IS some science involved in the form of an accurate ruler or tape measure.

Funny, the ancient Egyptians managed to build huge stone edificies with only their fingers and arms to measure with. How many pyramids do you suppose they discarded until they got one right?

#56 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:20 AM

EDIT: IMPORTANT! Before driving tractor onto block(s), lay chains out into spacer

Good point HH, the laying out of the chain "ever co carefully " took almost as much time as it did to put the thing together. Usaully I would be careful storing the chains, but last Spring I was interrupted when taking them off and just tossed 'em in a b ox instead of hanging them neatly on he wall. Fortunately, i eyeballed the centers close enough to work. Your addendum is a good point. Something so obvious might be missed. lol !

#57 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:25 AM

OT you inspired me. I got the cab and lights hooked up and I put on the blower itself. It got dark so I didn't put the chains and weight tray on yet, but I plan that for tomorrow (when it's 20* colder)!

THAT's why I wanted to get everything done yesterday, ggsteve ! Today I'll leaf blow the lawn once again and pick up the tons of branches that seem to mutliply with each gust of wind. I can wear gloves while doing that. I hate working on things w/o gloves in the cold. Stay warm !

#58 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Just use the ingenious rig and you will be done with it. If you have the rig-why not use it.

Dick

#59 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:52 AM

A good idea HH thanks for sharing!  Got to get the chains on the blower tractor yet and I always have scrap lumber laying around.  Good timing :D

Side note:  Typical of GTTalk, an informative thread takes a detour and shows the "I care" and "willing to help" attitudes shared by us all.  You guys are GREAT!!

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Wanted to bump this so guys trying to put on chains might have an easier time with this great idea from Hydro Harold
(Thanks for helping me find the post Kenny, was coming up snake-eyes)
  • KennyP said thank you