• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:21 PM

I would imagine that all of our tractors have encountered terrain where there is more than a 2" difference in height on the rear wheels. If that did in the transaxle the new tractor business would me more lucrative than it already is!

#17 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks steve, I thought as much, but as I said, neighbor planted the seed of doubt. I'll start working on them tomorrow. No table saw and only a real old circular saw, so it won't be pretty. lol

#18 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:01 PM

I already have a chain on one wheel, and my neighbor put a doubt in my feeble head.... if I use only one of these ingenious rigs to do the remaining wheel, will I put too much stress on the transaxle having one side over 2" higher than the other ? Should i just forget about the E-Z thing for now and wrestle the chain on the remaining wheel ?? Darn! nothin's ever easy :wallbanging:

Gee OT, you still using this "tractor" :bigrofl: :bigrofl: yardbug.jpg

Edited by John@Reliable, November 18, 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks steve, I thought as much, but as I said, neighbor planted the seed of doubt. I'll start working on them tomorrow. No table saw and only a real old circular saw, so it won't be pretty. lol

OT, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. And you can go much more that 2" up with one tire before it will be a problem. Especially if it not running. Go for it!

#20 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:37 PM

Now, you didn't hear this from me... But most lumber yards have in stock the exact size cross sections of wood that anyone might need to make a couple of these. I envision these things could be made much cruder than the finely crafted set I show in the pictures and have them work perfectly.

No saw? How about a hatchet or ax? Got a router (NOT a computer router)? Neighbor got a router? You could have him rout out grooves in a thicker base board instead of adding the cross pieces to a thinner base. And if worse comes to worse you could spend an evening listening to AC/DC, Ozzy or Black Sabbath routing out the grooves by hand with a mallet and a wood chisle. (Which I suspect will have a person out the next morning looking for a cheap-o jack. :D)

You know.... I never gave a thought to straining my transaxle using these blocks. Maybe that neighbor guy's got something there... Yeah he does, he's got "Ball Breaker Syndrome"! :D But, ask him if he'll rout out some wood for you and when he's done tell him "It isn't quite right.... but I can make do with it!" (I love psychological warfare!):D

Edited by HydroHarold, November 18, 2012 - 10:40 PM.

• oldtimer said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:54 AM

If you make 2 blocks, then you can do both sides at the same time. Thus no strain on the rear axle! Think I would use oak or other 'hard' wood so they would last for the next generation to try and figure out what they were for.

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:34 AM

You can make permanent ones out of brick.... or better yet, when you build your new shop; have them cast into the floor. The possibilities are endless.

#23 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Aww........ my neighbor means well. He tries to help the old guy when he can. He didn't fare too well with the chains though :rolling: so I told him "never mind" Waited until the following day ( Monday ) and my wife gave me a hand wrestling with the one chain, We both have physical problems so that wasn't fun so that's why I figured I'd try this. Thanks guys, for the encouragement. :thumbs:

#24 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:04 AM

John, that "tractor" is the wrong color ! lol

KennyP, I intend to make two blocks; I was just thinking that if I got one done I could get the remaining chain on and take my time with the other block., but you rpoint is well taken, just to be safe. I'm not worried about what the next generations think. They already figure I'm a little " touched in da head " lol Pine should last me just fine since they'll only be used once or twice a year.

LilysDad.... out of brick ?? new shed !!??? Did you hear that I'm coming into money ? :D

#25 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Aww........ my neighbor means well. He tries to help the old guy when he can. He didn't fare too well with the chains though :rolling: so I told him "never mind" Waited until the following day ( Monday ) and my wife gave me a hand wrestling with the one chain, We both have physical problems so that wasn't fun so that's why I figured I'd try this. Thanks guys, for the encouragement. :thumbs:

IF need be OT just let me know if I need to head up 495 from exit 2 , more than happy to lend you a hand :thumbs:
  • oldtimer said thank you

#26 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:34 PM

That's mighty nice of you John. Hopefully I'll be able to get somethin' going. Went to HD and got the 2 X 6 the other day, and went back today and picked up some 1" square dowels, #8 screws, and a 7/64 drill bit along with some 1/2" bolts to hold the bench vise better than what I had before. Hoping to be able to use the vise to hold things for cutting. Again, thanks for the offer.

#27 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:23 PM

LOL !! John, my wife just came home from taking her aunt to the Dr.'s I told her of your generous offer. She said " Did you tell him if he lived closer he'd be our best firend !? " LOL ! She thought it was very nice of you to offer just like i did, but hopefully it'll come together. If you're ever going to be up this way please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll have the coffee on for you. ( or beverage of your choice. just let me know what )

#28 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:27 PM

LOL !! John, my wife just came home from taking her aunt to the Dr.'s I told her of your generous offer. She said " Did you tell him if he lived closer he'd be our best firend !? " LOL ! She thought it was very nice of you to offer just like i did, but hopefully it'll come together. If you're ever going to be up this way please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll have the coffee on for you. ( or beverage of your choice. just let me know what )

That's mighty nice of you John. Hopefully I'll be able to get somethin' going. Went to HD and got the 2 X 6 the other day, and went back today and picked up some 1" square dowels, #8 screws, and a 7/64 drill bit along with some 1/2" bolts to hold the bench vise better than what I had before. Hoping to be able to use the vise to hold things for cutting. Again, thanks for the offer.

OT, I thought your prodigy came over on Thanksgiving and helped with the snowblower? Can they help with the chains too?

#29 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:49 PM

gg steve, not anymore. Son's in Austin, TX, and his son isnow a marine stationed in WA state at a naval base. They're both coming here in Dec. for a week; so I want to make sure I can clear the drive if need be to go pick 'em up at Green airport in RI. They won't be here for Christmas, but it'll be great to see them.

#30 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:02 PM

OT, I thought your prodigy came over on Thanksgiving and helped with the snowblower? Can they help with the chains too?

Hey guys, I never meant to sound like I was trying to solicit actual physical help. I was just looking for advice. I appreciate every morsel of info that I get.