• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:35 PM

And here by special request is my answer to the "no jack (dammit!) chain up". I first used it on 11:00 dump truck tires and now my little GT. The construction details are painfully obvious, but if you need written instructions just send $9.98...

The risers must be high enough that your crosschains will slide easily through the slots with the tire resting on the block. X-link crosschain will require more space yet.. Spacing of the risers will be determined by your crosschain spacing.

Mine are pine 2X6's with particle board risers, a woodworking guy worth his salt should be able to lay his hands on lignum vitea for the boards and Bojonegoro teak for the risers (perfect for chaining up sailboat trailers).

Installing chains:

The trick for E-Z chaining is to find the best position to lay the chains on the blocks that will allow you the easiest location of connecting the ends with the wheel sitting on the block.. I prefer the back end of the tractor for the connection as I can reach in and grab the hook end of the side chain easier. (I also made a long hook from a pail bail handle that I can reach in, hook the inside chain end, then work it over the tire along with the outside chain.) Your tractor my have more working room in front of the tire.

If you can't remove the tire and you don't have a jack, this thing is the easiest way I've found to mount chains without driving onto them on the ground and then fussing with the slack. Because the chain can move side to side under the tire, slack adjusting is easy. My 24/12/12 tractor chains are "custom cut" with no extra links inside and only one on the outside. I don't' ever need "spreaders", "tensioners", or springy thingys to take up the slack.

Attached Thumbnails

• block 1.jpg
  • block 2.jpg
  • block 3.jpg

Edited by HydroHarold, November 16, 2012 - 06:36 PM.

• broken2, daytime dave, tractorman604 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Very good idea! It looks to work pretty nice!

Although, I did notice something... in the last picture, I see a jack behind the tire!
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

This is in the category of why didn't I think of that?? Great idea thanks for taking the time to post it.

#4 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for sharing this great idea Harold.

Good eyes Ryan, I missed it the first time.

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Although, I did notice something... in the last picture, I see a jack behind the tire!

Ooops... bus-ted!:D Yeah, many years agoI was at TSC and they had a deal on a 2.5 ton Chinese jack and 4 jackstands for less than $30! Couldn't pass that up. The blocks are hanging forlornly abandoned on the wall now gathering dust... and just waiting for that cheap-o jack to fail! :dancingbanana:

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 04:40 AM

That's a neat idea, HH!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for this. Even if you have a jack this looks easier than fussing with the jack in a freezing cramped garage and then having to wedge the front axle or put up with the tractor tilting back and forth while installing chains. I don't know if i can make that work on my 2320 with the duo traction chains but I can probably make something similar that will work. Pretty straight forward for the GT's though.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Now that is a great idea,double H. :thumbs: :D

#9 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ingenious HH, but I'll stick with the jack. Not to hijack the thread but I'll offer my technique for chaining. Lay the chains out on the floor in the orientation you want them behind the rear wheels of the tractor. Make sure there are no twists or snags. Slide the floor jack under the rear end and lift the rear so that each wheel is about an inch off the ground and the chain will slide under the wheel easily. I then "roll" the chain onto tire over the top from front to back. I then connect the inside hook, and using a couple pairs of pliers I engage the outside hook. If I have loose links after the hook I use a zip tie to secure them. No airing down or up. Even with some slack I rarely lose a chain over a winter.

#10 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:16 AM

My lumber yard is out of "Bojonegoro". Can I use a substitute?

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:22 AM

>tsk< With certain protections in place Harold, you might have retired with this idea. I could see them molded in a rot proof nylon block.

#12 oldtimer ONLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks HH ! I keep forgetting to make 'em during the summer. After wrestling with one wheel this past week I thought I'd see if you still had them. I'm going to HD later on to get what I need to make a set. The old "drive on, pull, tug, yank, and cuss " way is gettin' to be too much for me. Again, thanks !

#13 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thanks HH ! I keep forgetting to make 'em during the summer. After wrestling with one wheel this past week I thought I'd see if you still had them. I'm going to HD later on to get what I need to make a set. The old "drive on, pull, tug, yank, and cuss " way is gettin' to be too much for me. Again, thanks !

Forgot to mention that the jack I have won't allow the tranny to set in a stable way ; so this setup seems much safer too .

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have seen this method used for mounting tire chanis before....Very good idea, and it works! :thumbs:

#15 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:52 AM

Okay, another dumb question. I have the materials, but only a circular saw to work with, but that's not the question. I already have a chain on one wheel, and my neighbor put a doubt in my feeble head.... if I use only one of these ingenious rigs to do the remaining wheel, will I put too much stress on the transaxle having one side over 2" higher than the other ? Should i just forget about the E-Z thing for now and wrestle the chain on the remaining wheel ?? Darn! nothin's ever easy :wallbanging: