• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:33 AM

hi gents, does anyone know if there is a clutch adjustment on this machine, if i am in high and put it in gear and am not real careful the front wheels come right off the ground,you could use wheelie bars on the thing , it has almost flipped over and i will not let my 13 yr old son use it( i anything happened my wife would kill me, slowly i might add) thanks for your input.

#2 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:16 AM

The transmission relies on a belt tensioner to engage the transmission. That tensioner is held in place with a pretty strong spring and is operated, via linkage, with the brake/clutch pedal. There is no adjustment. My suggestion is to start in a low gear and "ease" out on the pedal. Pushing down the clutch/brake pedal part way will allow the belt to slip and you can then shift to a higher gear without actually applying the brake. Having the deck or dozer blade mounted will greatly reduce the front end raising in case your foot slips. There are also front wheel weights that willl help also. I have fabricated weights bolted to the frame on my dedicated tiller tractor to help offset the added rear weight.
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think there is a little (shock absorber ) the goes into the linkage for the clutch that's supposed to limit the speed it will come up. I'm wondering if that's missing or bad.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 07:19 PM

The transmission relies on a belt tensioner to engage the transmission. That tensioner is held in place with a pretty strong spring and is operated, via linkage, with the brake/clutch pedal. There is no adjustment...

The 414-8 should have a separate brake and clutch pedal. However if you press the clutch pedal in too far, the belt guide (a flat metal bar that prevents the belt from jumping out of the pulley groove) will bite into the backside of the belt and act like you're braking. That said, Jeepn' is right that there isn't any adjustment.

I think there is a little (shock absorber ) the goes into the linkage for the clutch that's supposed to limit the speed it will come up. I'm wondering if that's missing or bad.

It depends on the year of your machine. I'm not sure what year they started using the gas spring (shock absorber ). My 1986 doesn't have it, but my 1994 does. The most common problem with the gas spring system is sticky then sudden operation. If the gas spring is bad, Toro wants about $85 for a new one. I'm sure that there are ways around it, but the assemblies between the two types are different, so the solution will depend on which type you have.

#5 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4545
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Make sure both the engine and the tranz pulley grooves are clean and smooth.

The proper fabric-covered drive belt is a necessity for smooth engagement. I only run OEM belts on my gear-drive tractors.