Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Motion Sensor Lights

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:10 AM

I've asked this question before but it may have been on another site. At the moment I have two lights out on lamp posts, one at each corner of the house on the end where the driveway is. These lights are on a timer so they are not on all night, just the hours we are awake basically. With electric bills about to go through the roof I thought I might replace those lights with some motion censor lights. That way we have light when we need it and I never have to worry about resetting the timer after a power outage or time change. That gets old. This is what I want to do and maybe someone out there knows if it can be done or not and how to do it if it can be done.

My wife leaves for work very early in the morning. There is an area between the porch steps and driveway that is very dark. We put up a worthless solar light to help but it doesn't work half the time. When it does, it's perfect but more often than not, it doesn't. I originally was going to put a third motion sensor light unto the eves of the porch to kick on and give her light so she doesn't kill herself on the steps. i don't really want three lights so what I want to do now is to put a MS light at each corner of the house, replacing the two lamp posts. The one at the front corner will light up the sidewalk and steps but not until she reaches the driveway where it will be too late. What I want to know is, can I hook up a second remote sensor to that light that will pick her up before she gets to the steps, thus lighting her way the whole way to the car? What I envision is two motion sensors working one light. The one on the light itself will trigger when you come up the driveway tot he walk, the other triggers when you are on the porch about to go down the steps. I don't know if this is feasible or if I should just go back tot he third light idea. Sorry it's long, I get wordy.

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:38 AM

you could use a relay and two m. s. connected in or circuit that way either m.s could energize the relay and relay turn on lights. The relay would need amp rating for the lighting load. The m. s. could time the light off. Anything is possible if a person has money to do it. :thumbs:

Edited by jms180, November 16, 2012 - 09:52 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:45 AM

David,

I did this very thing at our last home, and used 2 outdoor rated 3 way motion sensor switches , both firing two big lights to make things real bright. I did have to run new wiring to accomodate the additional light and switch.

I used Leviton ( I think) switches, and the sensors were pretty decent once dialed in.

Edited by marlboro180, November 16, 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:53 AM

I use a motion detector light on the barn. It has a sensitivity adjustment that allows it to come on with movement at something like 50’+. Turned it all the way down and still comes on at 15’+. Question is if the sensor will reach both of the areas needing light? The sensor on mine is adjustable for which way you point it, is it possible to angle the head towards the porch and just use one sensor/light combination? Just a few thoughts.
My light drove the neighbor crazy when first installed. He kept informing me someone was in my garage last night, the light was on! Wind blowing mud flap on the truck was enough to set it off. Turned down the sensitivity, moved the truck, neighbor could finally get a good night sleep. Now only thing that sets it off is the other neighbor’s cat. I don’t think he likes hunting in the dark!

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have a MS light on both ends of our house and the sensor will pick up when a car comes up and pulls into the first parking space, our driveway comes straight in from the road but it turns left into a parking area. It also picks up movement from the front porch. I would think it would depend on exactly how your drive and porch are set up and the distance evolved but to answer your question yes it is possible.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 12:35 PM

From the top of the porch steps to where the light would be is around 25 to 28 feet I would say. I imagine that one sensor would pick this up if set sensitive enough. Problem is, I have three cats that occupy the porch and I want to set this so that they don't set it off. I suppose I could get two lights set up and try it and just add another light if it doesn't work they way I need it to.

On another note, does anyone use those new LED motion sensor lights? Just wondering how bright they are compared to the regular ones.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Just set your sensor to pick up movement higher then the cat's can get. You may have to have your wife help you get the setting right.

Mine use spot lights so I can't help on the LED's. Sorry.

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Looking at a similar situation for my new (hoping) place. I searched "remote control lighting" and this is one of the results.
http://www.homedepot...l-6005-bk5.html
The drawback with this setup is having to carry a remote "clicker". There are several similar products, but I like Marlboro's system. I'll have to see what my wiring situation is there.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Jeff, I rely heavily on the people at our local Hite Co. for stuff like this. There's one on Evans City road in Butler. I would either give them a call or stop in. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. And they also carry Leviton (at least they used to) and at least one other competitor.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Jeff, I rely heavily on the people at our local Hite Co. for stuff like this. There's one on Evans City road in Butler. I would either give them a call or stop in. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. And they also carry Leviton (at least they used to) and at least one other competitor.

Thanks Alan. I just noticed something this morning. Motion CENSOR lights? Really? It must have been a tougher week than I thought! Sheesh! I'll have to locate this place and pay them a visit. I have all winter now. I just ordered a small step light with a motion SENSOR that is battery operated and LED. Supposed to be for outdoor use. If that gets us through the winter it will give me time to get this figured out.

Censor... Holy crap.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:18 AM

I fixed it for ya!

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I fixed it for ya!

Thanks Kenny! See, it's not true what they say, you really can fix stupid!