10 replies to this topic

#1 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:50 PM

I bought a good running old Briggs motor tonight. It came off a water pump and the kid said it only has about 10 hours on it and from looking at it I believe it. It does have a stupid tapered shaft so it won't bolt in to my 64 but I figured I could use my crank out of my engine or find another one. I only paid $40 for it and I figured the new coil/armature is worth that plus I have a points cover and flywheel housing that I needed and also have a good spare carburetor. He said he thinks its 9hp but the literature he gave me shows for a Briggs model 17 with 7hp. I have a model 23D rated at 9hp and I thought the model 19 was 7hp. It also came with a bunch of jiberish hand written about 2 models and one have a 7hp and the other 9hp and he thinks its 9 but with no reason to justify it. The metal tag is missing of the back of the engine and the tag on the bottom is scratched up to no recognition so I'm lost. He said its a 1975 model and came off a Homelite water pump but not sure what model. Is there any way to identify this without pulling the head off of it and my current motor to compare? They would have different bores right ?

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:07 PM

I can't help much; I know more about the K series kohlers then other engines, and even that is not much! But, I can tell you that one of the identifying features of any engine is the head bolt pattern. Just a heads up, the members who are smarter then I will most likely ask for a photo of the bolt pattern.
  • farmer said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:07 PM

did a lil research and there doesn't seem to be a ton on those water pumps. From what I did find, people all claim that the water pumps in that year were standard with a 7hp engine. If you are able to clean up that tag somehow and find any numbers, here's a link to download Homelite manuals. Good luck.
http://www.riverside...te_Manuals.html
  • farmer said thank you

#4 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Cool thanks, its likely a 7. Man what a huge motor for 7HP. I needed a points cover, flywheel shroud and better air filter assembly and wanted a spare coil and carburetor so for 70 bucks I think I done OK. The metal tag is gone and the sticker tag is cut and and is not legible. He was asking 75 which I would've gladly paid but when I said the crank was wrong he dropped down to 40. I kinda felt bad only giving him 40 for it but that was the asking price.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:30 PM

By 75 I would think the numbers would have been stamped in the shroud. Check close along the edge by the carb or on the top.edge. Of course, by 75 the points would have been behind the flywheel on at least the 7 HP. Bore and stroke would tell you more.
  • farmer said thank you

#6 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:33 PM

The tag was on the back of the cylinder on the sheet metal as is it on my 64. My 64 23d 9hp has external points ad this motor does similar to points on a Kohler k series.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Bore and stroke will tell for sure. Is the coil the same as the 23D? There were some different ignition systems used on the number series.

#8 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:43 PM

When I get a chance I'll pull the heads off both and compare. A good purchase either was but hoping its a 9 so I can use it!

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Did a little digging on the asecc site last night. It appears that the last year for the number series was 65.

#10 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Of engines? That's what I thought also but he said its 70s but I think you're right. Can't wait to get some time to pull it apart and find out. I so hope its 9 but I dont know where I would find a crank at anyhow

#11 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have so much to do that I shouldn't be playing with this but I couldn't resist. She has a 3" bore and 3.25" stroke which means if my research is correct makes it a model 23 9hp. Its not a 23d though because the armature/coil is 2 legged instead of 3. The cylinder wall still had the machining marks! I bought a brand new motor for 40 bucks. my next question is if I wanted to use the crank out of my existing motor what would be required and how hard would it be to find a new one?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20121116_132415.jpg
  • IMG_20121116_132354.jpg