WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I reverted back to XP Pro long ago.
Last year got a new notebook for one of the kids and that came with a brand new XP home OS installed,
guess MS finally realized Vista really did suck :D .

It's like everything else they do- Different ways to do the same stuff.. The trick is to find the way or WAYS to do what the heck you want it to do!! Do your selves a favor and ditch Explorer!! It's like having a set of handcuffs on! Lots of bloat-ware and extra crap-ola.. Download / install Firefox or Chrome and you will be pleased..

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 04:42 PM

I will give up Vista Home Premium when Microsoft pries it from my cold dead hands by no longer supporting it. Hey, I just learned how to get around in Vista from W98 and now I should learn another system to do.... What is it I do again with a computer, "add to favorites", boot off and try to find sub folders I think I created to hold stuff I can't find anymore? :D

Vista & Win 7 are quite alike but Win 7 fixed a bunch of the problems Vista had.. I too ran Vista but suffered the dreaded B.S.O.D. way too many times. Now I'm running ver #7 and there's ~ 300 updates so far.. :wallbanging:

#18 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Vista & Win 7 are quite alike but Win 7 fixed a bunch of the problems Vista had.. I too ran Vista but suffered the dreaded B.S.O.D. way too many times. Now I'm running ver #7 and there's ~ 300 updates so far.. :wallbanging:

I'm so computer illiterate... ("How computer illiterate are you, Hydro?")...that I don't know I'm even having any of the trouble Vista is causing! Maybe I'm just "special"! :D :dancingbanana:

#19 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:00 AM

I will give up Vista Home Premium when Microsoft pries it from my cold dead hands by no longer supporting it. Hey, I just learned how to get around in Vista from W98 and now I should learn another system to do.... What is it I do again with a computer, "add to favorites", boot off and try to find sub folders I think I created to hold stuff I can't find anymore?:D

"Unveil it and they will come!" (Literally!)

This hits so close to home I can't believe I didn't type it!!

#20 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:49 AM

I am running Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.4. Win 7 fixed a lot of the issues in Vista and seems to work really well for me. I am running it on older hardware so I can not use some of its features but that is no big deal. The next computer I build will be Untuntu only.
If you are buying a new puter I would get it with Win 8. There are a lot of new features in 8 that new hardware can utilize. I believe you can update from win 7 to 8 for $40 which is not the worst but will it be any better than what you have? Personally it would do me no good at this time being retired to update. When I was working I would always have a puter with the latest beta OS so I could get to know it as I would eventually have to support it at sometime in the future.
Ubuntu is a great OS that let you do most anything that Windows can do. I would highly suggest you download an image of Zorin. Run it as a live version. This will give you a chance to try it out and not take a chance of messing up your current system. It is based on Ubuntu and looks and act very much like Windows. It Free and what could be better than that.
If you like it You can install it as dual boot and not throw away your current OS in case someone else uses the puter and does not want to change. This why you will have the option of which OS you would like to run at boot up.
Do not be scared of Linux there are a lot of people here using Linux in one of it many flavors and will be here to help you though the transition.
I do have 2 licenses for Win7 that I have not used yet. When I bought Win 7 I bought the 3 copy upgrade because I planned on getting more puters but that never materialized. If anybody could use a copy please PM me. I could send you the ISO image.
Win7 001.jpg
  • sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#21 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:55 PM

I am still running Windows XP. No idea about 8

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ducky your post sounds very much like I would have written it. When I was working in IT I use to go to all the preview's and shows I could so I could stay on top and like you I knew a time would come I would have to support it. But now that I'm retired that is not important to me any more so unless something strikes my attention I don't check it out.

Zorn is an excellent crossover version of Linux. The free version will allow you to have your desktop look and feel like Windows 7, XP, or Linux. I have installed it on quite a few computers of people that have no technical skills and they have not had any difficulty going from the Windows environment over to Linux except they can't believe they can download all the many different applications for free.
  • ducky said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:50 AM

Bill, how would you install this on a computer that has no operating system? I have an older one that needs an operating system that won't accept XP..

#24 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Morning Kenny
You would want to download the ISO image and burn it 2 a disc. Then you insert the disc into the laptop and turn it on. It should see the disc and start the install.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

• KennyP said thank you

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:59 AM

This is a very old small desktop, but I thought this would give me a chance to try out the OS. Thanks.

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:16 AM

I keep seeing free down loads of Win 8, why would I pay $40?

#27 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I would be very Leary of a free win is.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#28 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:29 PM

A free download is usually a pirated copy and you will end up with an installation that will not up date and with out any security updates you will be a malware treasure house.

Kenny; do as Ducky said but you will want one of the distro's that are small enough to load on a CD Lubuntu, or others that are labeled lite. You may need to go into the BIOS and set your boot options to boot off the CD first. An old desktop is an excellent way to get acquainted with Linux and in fact I have an old desktop I use to test out different distro's I'm interested in or an upgrade.
  • ducky and LilysDad have said thanks

#29 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:22 PM

I won't upgrade to Windows 8. The only thing that I would possibly run it on would be one of the new laptop / tablet hybrids they are advertising now with a touchscreen and keyboard. I think they did a good job with Windows 7 and I will be running that for the foreseeable future. I would like to get a Linux distro running again at some point, just haven't had the time to get it setup again.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#30 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 08:43 AM

used it at walmart and didnt like it. im still using windows XP and 98 lol