Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of December 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor of the month of December 2012 (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month of December 2012

1. Springfield 36 - Farmlife (2 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

2. Grillo G85 D - plumberroy (2 votes [2.00%])

3. Voted 78 Gilson - rat88 (2 votes [2.00%])

4. Pond - David Brown (27 votes [27.00%])

Percentage of vote: 27.00%

5. Bolens HDT1000 - OldBuzzard (4 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

6. John Deere 214 - mtoney (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

7. National Reel Mower - farmerall (8 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

8. Allis Grader - Michiganmobileman (10 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

9. Bush Hog D4-10 - sacsr (23 votes [23.00%])

Percentage of vote: 23.00%

10. Ford LGT-165H - BTS (4 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

11. Bolens 600 - tractorchick (10 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

12. WH Suburban 551 - antiquetractors (2 votes [2.00%])

13. Massey GTX316 - JBBR (1 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of December 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of November. This was an open month so anything goes.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of December and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 13 nominations this month so let the voting begin:
  • Springfield 36 - Farmlife
  • Grillo G85 D - plumberroy
  • 78 Gilson - rat88
  • Pond - David Brown
  • Bolens HDT1000 - OldBuzzard
  • John Deere 214 - mtoney
  • National Reel Mower - farmerall
  • Allis Grader - Michiganmobileman
  • Bush Hog D4-10 - sacsr
  • Ford LGT-165H - BTS
  • Bolens 600 - tractorchick
  • WH Suburban 551 - antiquetractors
  • Massey GTX316 - JBBR
Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.
  • farmer john, BTS and Huskyfan have said thanks

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:30 PM

I would like to nominate my 1964 Springfield 36. This is the tractor that will be the last in my collection if all others must go. After a few years of not being able to collect GT's, I seen this one sitting behind my girlfriends parents place near the barn. I could see just a glimpse of the hood sticking up through the weeds and the back side of the seat. I walked out to it and at first thought it was an older Wheelhorse. I tried for a few months to convince her father to sell it to me with no luck even in sight. Every day I talked about that tractor like it was the last thing on earth. One day while I was there helping her dad move a few things he said, "you really want that thing?". I thought he was messing with me at first and I believe the reply of, "YES!!" came from my mouth before I even knew I had said it. The next day it was on a trailer, (his trailer no less), and on it's way to my house.
The original motor was locked up tight and after having it looked over I had realized even tho the engine would not be original, I would repower it and keep everything else that I could in original condition. I found a 12.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine that I had paid $150 for with very low hours on it. After the tare down and all the extensive cleaning in which the project entailed, the Springfield was ready for paint. I searched many sites, forums, etc for pictures of Springfields and found that they aren't that common which made it difficult to scan paint schemes. I did however find a few and I matched the paint as best I could. I spent hours taking piece by piece into my basement to individually paint each section by hand. There was no heat in my garage and NY winters are bitter cold, far too cold for paint to dry.
Eventually I was able to get to the engine mounting which to my surprise bolted in place very easily and only left one troublesome part. The hood came down right over top of the plastic air cleaner cover. A few people suggested I trim the hood but to me this was not an option. Instead, I took put white chalk along the edge of the hood and pulled it down on the air cleaner cover where it would leave a line. I took a cut off wheel and made a groove in the plastic which worked perfectly. The last modification I made was the ignition. The key ignition was seized and I toggled the idea of a new one with the idea of a push button. Now before I get stoned to death for altering "original", in my mind I wanted to have something that would be my own style even tho visually this GT would remain original. I ordered a raceing push button start and a chrome standard toggle switch ( the toggle to act as a ground to kill the engine). The are very neatly placed with the push button in the same hole as the original ignition and the other toggle (kill swith) out of sight.
This project has been a huge starting point for me and since, I have accumulated more than 8 other GT's and have turned into what my fiance calls a "Tractorholic" ........I call it a "PASSION"
s3.jpg s2.jpg s1.jpg
  • olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 plumberroy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10862
  • 12 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:58 PM

I would like to nominate My kohlor powered Grillo G85 D
I puchased this tractor new in May of this year after a lot of reseach. My needs are to till a garden, mow the yard and to tow a wagon I have 1/2 acre. Growing up in Gravely country I was no stranger to walking tractors . Since Gravely quit making walking tractors in 2004 my choices were down to grillo and bcs The grillo G85D with the 22 inch tiller Zanon 28 inch finish mower and a hitch kit to adapt my existing agrafab trailer seemed to be the best tractor for my needs .

How has it preformed ? Let's start with the tiller I chose a 22" tiller ever though my machine will run a 26" tiller because I have several small patches besides my main area for the garden. With the bolo tines and high tine speed it cuts sod like nothing as long as you don't try to cut to deep . Another pass at half depth and once more a full depth and you are ready to plant. Being a plumber I have rented commercial grade honda tillers and troybuilt tillers to reseed after buriing new waterlines or sewer lines. neather is close to the preformance of the grillo. I tilled 1700 sq ft this spring retilled about 900 sq.ft for fall garden and tomato patches flower beds etc. for several neighbors (you know how us garden tractor guys are with a new toy :D )
How about the mower? I choose the zanon 28" mower deck. My yard is cut up with fruit trees , grape vines gardens and a driveway around to the back basement garage . Tire size and horse power would allow me to use a 33" deck the 28" deck is more managable for my use The mowerdeck weighs more than the 44 " deck on a craftsman gt6000 , It is a side discharge deck . It isn't a mulching deck but cuts clipping extremely fine. I also cuts heavy stuff like nothing. I have included a video of cutting down an old perineal bed that was here when we moved in , I thought it might do it good to cut it completely down

It took 4 carrage bolts 2 u bolts 3 ft of 1 1/4" pipe and 1 2x6 as wide as the wagon to convert a standard yard trailer to a ride on hauling cart I have Hauled mulch cut brush and the Grand daughter all over the yard
I can switch from mower to tiller in 15 minutes
I call her Hope because Of the hope of having more land to use her on one day

Posted Image

Posted Image

• olcowhand, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Guest_rat88_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 07, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well if its open month, I will ante up and raise yall with a modified '78 Gilson.

I built this with my son about 3 years ago. I picked this up as a two-fer from a local guy who had sold me a '68 garden mark squire " that needed TLC but wouldnt take much to get it running". It turns out "TLC" meant Things Like a Crank. I got it home and found out it didnt have any compression. I had it loaded back in the truck and sitting in his front yard in less than an hour. He gave my money back and said I could keep the gilson. My son , 12 at the time, wanted to hot rod it like I do with the freebee Mtd's . So we got it running and he sanded it all down and painted it flat black. It was his first attempt at painting anything , so it took a few tries to get it looking right. I have modded a couple tractors for some of his friends and they came over one day just to jack around in the yard. The gilson still had stock gearing at the time ,5mph top speed. The others were 10-15 mph range. After that day he had a little interest and motivation to make this one better than the others. We spent the biggest part of every weekend for the next few months working on the tractor. I taught him how to use the welder and plasma cutter, along with how different gear ratios effect speed and power. We put a 4" lift in the back and a 2" lift in the front, along with widening the front axle 6". I swapped out the 26x12x12 I bought for my LGT100 trail tractor and put them on his. We put 20x8x8's on the front. Then we added a foot throttle and changed the motor from the briggs twin 16 to a 17 kohler single and moved it back 4" to make more room for a bigger pulley on the motor. Then we changed the transaxle pulley from a 6" to a 4". The first time he took it for a test drive after we got it running was priceless, he was still about half scared but couldnt quit smiling. After working out a few bugs to make it a little more reliable, he drove it any chance he could. It was nothing for him to go through 10 gallons a week on this thing. He would drive it on the road to friend's house several miles away. We GPS'd it at 26 MPH. It will go anywhere an atv will go.
He has moved up to 4 wheelers now and has a girlfriend. He has only started the tractor a few times in the last year, mainly just to show it off.

mud1.jpg trt.jpg
  • olcowhand, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,268 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 10:20 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by David Brown, November 08, 2012 - 07:56 PM.

• olcowhand, powerking56, kwj427 and 8 others have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,398 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well, since it's an open month, and johndeereelfman mentioned rare tractors, I guess I'll toss my Bolens HDT1000's hat into the ring.

The HDT1000 was intended to be for export only. However at least 2, and probably more, of them were sold here in the States. From a dealer sticker I found on mine, and from where the only other one that I know of was found, it appears that a dealer in Des Moines IA managed to get them and sold them there.

The HDT1000 is basically a Bolens HT23 with a 22 Hp, 3-cyl, water cooled, Mitsubishi K3D-61FG engine. The engine choice made it necessary for Bolens to 'stretch' the hood a bit, and there is an extension at the front of the frame to provide for that. They also had to relocate the fuel tank and battery. The grill was also changed and is made of perforated metal to allow more air flow to get to the radiator. There is also a perforated metal screen on each side of the forward part of the hood.

As for the year of manufacture, that's up in the air at this time. I know that Bolens exported the HD20D as the HT22 in 1980 so I'm guessing that it would not have been concurrent with the HT22. A good clue however, is the model number, 2388s. In 1984 Bolens changed the HT23's model number from 2389 to 2389s. The 2389s was sold from 1984 - 1987 with power steering and cruise control as standard equipment. Given the 2288s model number and the fact that my tractor does indeed have power steering and cruise control, I'm going to guess that it was made in the 1984-1987 time frame. I should be able to narrow it down a bit more if I can find the year of manufacture of the engine. Bolens typically used engines that were one year older than the tractor. So if the engine was made in say 1983, then odds are that the tractor was built in 1984.

That's about all I know/guess about it for the time being, as I haven't been able to find any information on the HDT1000, other than a brief mention of it in the HT Large Frame Service manual.

It's going to need some 'help' as the dash is pretty well trashed, but I can replace that with one from an HT23. That and a missing PTO shaft, which should also be identical to the HT23's, are the only real warts. The rest is all cosmetic, and should make for an easy refurbish/restore.

Here's a video walk around that I posted earlier today and some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4432.JPG
  • 100_4433.JPG
  • 100_4434.JPG
  • 100_4435.JPG
  • 100_4436.JPG
  • 100_4427.JPG
  • 100_4428.JPG
  • 100_4429.JPG
  • 100_4430.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 09, 2012 - 06:18 PM.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 mtoney ONLINE  

• Member No: 13665
  • 549 Thanks
  • 527 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:27 PM

I would like to nominate my recently refurbished 1983 John Deere 214. I am the third owner, she has all her original tires with the fronts only showing light rounded on the outer edges, so I suspect low hours on the tractor. She runs strong. Here are pics of her in her summer/fall attire. If selected, I will mount up my refurbished snow blade and chains since December is the onset of winter and winter duties moving snow. For the rare part, you dont see many 200 series John Deeres fixed up, most are ratty and still working or in the dead lines. Thanks Mike and Michele T
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mtoney, November 10, 2012 - 07:29 PM.

• olcowhand, boyscout862, bowtiebutler956 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:41 AM

I would like to nominate my Four Wheel Drive Allis-Grader for this month’s contest. For those of you who are not yet up on the proper pronunciation of the term, the "s" is silent therefore this creation is pronounced "Al-E-Grader”

We moved to our lake property in winter of 2005 and now have about 600 foot of driveway to maintain. I had a box blade for the rear of my ford LGT 145 and my brother has a small Kubota with a back blade. These both worked OK but still left some "whoop-de-dos" and seemed to make the humps and holes grow instead of smoothing them out. So off I go to cyber space to see what was available that would do a better job. I ended up surfing many sites that had some good practical info regarding the advantages of a center mount grader blade over a rear mount. As I now considered myself more educated on graders in general, I decided to round up what I could find around here and build a center grader blade. This first blade was made from an old MTD plow swivel, cut up sides of a 100 pound LP tank and parts from a cub cadet mower carrier. I used this under my Allis Chalmers 919H with very good success. BIG difference over the rear mount blades and I was able to set the blade square and at an angle either direction. I hooked up a solid lift link and could raise the front of the tractor off the ground when lowering the blade down all the way. I used this grader blade and tractor for 5 years or so and was real happy with the outcome. But thanks to the info I had learned surfing about graders, swirling around in my head was an idea or two on what could be done to make it better.

In early spring of 2010 I found a CL buy close enough to go for a trip. I picked up a 1977 A/C 700 series with no engine, but in real good shape with a 3 speed with high low. When I got it home it was such good shape that I hated to disassemble it and thought I should just park it out back for a while and get working on a Simplicity 3314H that I had gotten earlier for a parts machine. As the simplicity came apart and I got down to the front end disassembly, the proverbial light bulb went on above my head. Out comes the reciprocating saw and some c-clamps, a 2x4 to support the hood and here was a mock up of a longer wheelbase tractor to use as a grader. Granted there was one too many sets of front tires on my prototype but the thought was there.

So the day came when I got ready to weld the two front ends together and I ended with this 13 inch extension, (a little shorter than my prototype). Then I thought about the extra rear end I had and figured, "Why not" and so the idea was born. After attaching and connecting the second rear end, adding the 16 HP Briggs and rewiring the Allis-Grader from its Kohler beginnings, she was put to driveway duty with the blade I had used on the 919H. And a darn fine job she did too.

But being the kind of guy I am, I knew there was still room for improvement. I decided the A-G needed a different “Grader-Like” blade with more adjustments keeping the side to side swivel by using a circle like a motor grader, blade angle to ground so I could cut slopes and blade tilt front to back for digging or smoothing. This was mostly built as I went along, again with what I could find laying around, but I started with a good basic idea and a car brake rotor as my “Circle”. Using some scrap steel I had, a blue dish shaped steel piece and some welding rod I came up with this. Now it was time to add the electric lift I had as this new Grader Blade creation weighed in at about 160 pounds.

The brake rotor with blade attached spins in a welded circle with the blue disc as the top support for the hanger. There is a stop bolt at both front “corners” of this circle that allow me to adjust the blade to any angle short of the rear tires. The front of the hanger attached at the front axle mower attachment points. But I could not get the side movement I wanted and after a few attempts I ended up with this as my height adjustment (the top piece in picture), one each side, which gives me a side to side lift height of 6 inches high right and seven high left. This was after figuring out that an upside down trailer ball hitch would give me the best swivel on the front end of the hanger, instead of the mower mount points on the axle. My new blade was even better, my prototype was built and proven and now time for some cosmetics.

I eventually welded the two hoods into one, added two sets of Carlisle Ag tires, a toothed scarifier bar in front of the blade, put a deep cycle battery in front of the motor with some extra grill work to cover the space on the sides, used cans upon cans of spray paint, and the current Allis-Grader now looks like this, with a short action video. Future planned additions are hydraulics for the lift and swivel. I also have a 30 gallon steel drum that will be put on the rear-end instead of the blocks for extra weight.

This was created on a real tight budget. I used my stick welder, 4.5 inch cut-off grinder and a sawzall. All pretty basic shop tools that most of us own, just goes to show that tons of money are not needed for a little play project, just some ideas and some time.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Edited by Michiganmobileman, November 11, 2012 - 06:43 AM.

• olcowhand, boyscout862, bowtiebutler956 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Going to put my D4-10 Bush Hog in the mix.

This original Bush Hog D4-10 was found my friend Jack Shuey up in Pennsylvania. He saw it on the side of the road took pictures of it and sent them to me and Daniel. Lucky for me, distance and Daniels lack of need for another D4-10 allowed me to claim it as mine. Jack provided me with the contact info etc, and I called the guy to make the deal. Keep in mind I had never met the owner and neither had Jack. The owner and I agreed to a price and I promised him I would send a payment first thing Monday and that I would pick it up in 2 weeks. Later that day, Jack emailed me and told me too look at one of the pictures closely. He thought that it may have rear wheel weights on the inside of the wheels. After a closer inspection of the picture, I too thought this was a possibility. What if they were original Bush Hog wheel weights?? What a find that would be! At this point, just a what if, time would tell!

Well by the middle of the week, I had gotten a call from the owner that they could not get my check cashed since my bank was not local. I assured him I would come on and pick it up that Friday and bring cash. We agreed to this and I started making plans to head up that way. Thursday afternoon I started to call to confirm he would be around for me to pick it up….well……9 calls later I still had not been able to get up with him. I decided not to leave the next morning until I could figure out what had happened. I started getting concerned that maybe someone had come along and offered him a better deal. I could understand if he had. Times have been hard these past couple of years and an offer of more money would be hard to turn down by anyone…..all that evening I kept wondering if I had lost the deal. In my mind, I knew he would not be the type of person to take my money, although we had only talked on the phone, I am good with people and I knew he was trustworthy, but I wanted to know what happened. I just needed to know, do I head north or stay home. I called Jack and asked if he would go by the owners home the next morning to see what was going on. I was concerned it may be gone and wanted him to verify either way. Jack called me the next morning….there had been a storm, but he could see that the Bush Hog was still there….to say the least, I was greatly relieved! Later that morning, I was able to get in touch with the owner. During the storm, they had lost their electricity and their phone service. He had just gotten it hooked back up when I called. I explained to him that I had not left since I could not get hold of him. I had already talked to Jack and he was willing to go pick it up, get my check, and pay him cash for me. (I have to say Jack is a great guy and a mentor of mine on these Bush Hogs!!) With Jacks help, the D4-10 was picked up and he held it for me till I was able to make it up there the next week. Jack was able to confirm hidden inside the rear wheels, was a nice set of red wheel weights. After much help from the GT Bush hog forum site and Daniel, it was determined that they were rare original Bush Hog weights!! What a great bonus to the deal!!

Jack took me by the owner’s house for me to meet and thank him in person. He had been offered more, but a deal is a deal and he held it for me to come get it. For that I will always be grateful! It is the nicest Bush Hog I own, and my pride and joy!

The story on the Bush Hog AE-40 aerator came at another time, again with the help of another fellow GT Talk member (New Restorer). Don sent me a private message with a link to the craigslist ad. The price was a little high, but I knew it would be hard to find another one so I better jump on this one before it was gone. The owner still had it and I explained I was heading out of town and would not be back till the middle of the week. Would he be willing to hold it till then?? I would send payment, etc what ever it took to get it held. It was a little hard to negotiate price when you are asking him to hold it…..he would not say he would hold it….but he said he was heading out of town and would not be back till then, and he doubted it would get sold in the mean time……I told him I would call him on Wednesday and if he still had it, I would pick it up on my way home. Wednesday could not get there soon enough to make the call. Yes he still had it and he would hold it till I came by the next day. When I arrived, I saw that it had been garaged its whole life. It may be one of the best examples of an original Bush Hog aerator out there. He had bought it new and kept it all these years. He never owned a Bush Hog GT…..just this one implement. It is a great addition to my Bush Hog collection and I look forward to using it to aerate my yard this Fall.

The Bush Hog Dump trailer DT-1 was another craigslist find in North Carolina. Daniel told me he has only seen one other Bush Hog cart besides this one. When I went to pick it up, I asked the seller if she knew the history on the cart. She said the son of the owner had told her that his dad had never owned a bush hog garden tractor so he was not sure where the cart came from. He guessed that his dad had taken it on a trade at some point. Interesting enough both the cart and the aerator were found about 60 miles apart. I have since found out there was a Bush Hog dealer in the area. I plan to make a trip over that way in the next week to meet with the dealer and one of the mechanics that worked on them back then. They no longer have any Bush Hog material but the information they are willing to share will be priceless!

Finding and collecting these Bush Hog GT’s has been great fun! The people I have met along the way have made the experience that much more enjoyable! Big thanks to Daniel, George, George Sr, Jack, Brian, Bobby, Al, and Don for all your help along the way!

Attached Thumbnails

• enhanced2ndtime.jpg
  • photo (3).jpg
  • photo (10).jpg
  • IMG_1561.JPG
  • IMG_1568.JPG

Edited by sacsr, November 13, 2012 - 11:07 AM.

• olcowhand, josh deaven, LTD and 3 others have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,635 Thanks
  • 1,671 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, here is my Ford LGT-165H, with Brantly Loader & Backhoe.
I converted it over to hydraulic steering and i also built heavier front wheel spindles.
I also made a blade for the backhoe and forks that go on the loader bucket. Right now i am in the middle of building a quick attach for the loader bucket and i am building a 4-in-one bucket.
I use this machine for everything, from digging/trenching to hauling and spreading dirt.

I also have a John Deere 140-H3 with a Kwick Way Loader.
I am going to put on a Kohler V-twin 18HP engine because the original engine is junk.
I can't wait to get it running and ad it to the collection.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pallet Forks on Backhoe 001.JPG
  • Backhoe Blade 001.JPG
  • John Deere 140 Garden Tractor and Loader 001.JPG
  • John Deere Garden Tractor Loader 002.JPG
  • John Deere Garden Tractor Loader 001.JPG

• olcowhand, boyscout862 and Huskyfan have said thanks

#11 tractorchick OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:18 PM

OH MY!! There are some fabulous nominations!!!! I am going to nominate one of mine too.

This is my Bolens 600 Huskee. I was in New Carlisle, Ohio to interview Julie Smart and take pictures of her collection in June of 2012. After that first visit, Julie and I became the best of friends and I went back to stay with her over a weekend. During the weekend, she hosted her first lawn and garden tractor show in memory of her husband, Stan. The night before the show, were were going through the barn while her friends Gary and Jeff Luthman loaded up tractors to haul to the show. I saw the Bolens in the corner and zoomed in on its unique color. Julie mentioned selling it along with a Wheel Horse and a few other tractors in order to make room for more of her favorite tractors...Economy. I immediately asked how much she wanted for it, she threw a price at me, but I chickened out of making the purchase because I knew Mike would have a fit if I bought another tractor.

At the show the next day, I was really eyeing the Bolens. It was in wonderful condition and all original. Plus, I wanted it because it was Julie's tractor and wanted to make it part of my collection for sentimental reasons. Julie had a few inquiries at the show, but the tractor didn't sell. I was secretly jumping up and down for joy about that! She continued to coax me into buying it, but I didn't want to rock the boat at home and declined.

The day after the show, she and I went out for some fun in her convertible, driving to Dayton to see the ballpark, driving through the country, stopping to visit friends along the way. When we got back to her house, what do you think was sitting on my trailer? Yep, it was the Bolens. Gary and Jeff had loaded the Bolens while we were out joyriding, putting it on and blocking it in with my John Deere 60, loaded sideways, preventing me from removing it off of the trailer! I was stunned, happy and so grateful! I tried to argue about taking it, but Julie wouldn't hear of it. Keep in mind....Julie can't speak for herself, she depends on her voice app on her iPad....how do you argue with THAT! Her reason for giving me the Bolens? Because of our friendship, plus it's color was a perfect match to my new Jeep! LOL! We girls are ALL about color scheme!

I love the Bolens. It needs just a bit of clean up and I plan to keep it in original condition. It is my favorite tractor and will remain a permanent part of my collection. More importantly, I will think of my friend, Julie every time I drive it.
kate 2.JPG
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

#12 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Some Great tractors this month. I will add my daughters 1961 Wheel Horse Sububran 551 she nicknamed "towmater".

To start with we went to a local tractor show and saw a Wheel Horse suburban and have to have one. I went home and began my search. I finally found a 1961 Wheel Horse Suburban 551 with the original mower deck on craigslist and decided that would be good for her since it is electric start. I went to look at it 2 hours away and bought it on the spot.
It was in decent condition when I bought it but wanted my daughter to have a nice new tractor so I stripped it down and repainted the whole thing while she was away for the weekend. As soon as she first saw it she said "it looks just like towmater." We took my 58 Bolens Ride a Matic and her Suburban to the tractor show this year and spent the weekend driving around the show in style on her suburban.

550.jpg 552.jpg 553.jpg 554.jpg 252905_10150212815528227_552508226_7367101_279318_n.jpg Tate-20110622-00328.jpg wh554.jpg wh560.jpg wh561.jpg

#13 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,246 Thanks
  • 2,377 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Since it is December, red tractors are a good choice!
If I can, I would like to add Big Red to the nominations. It is a 1993 Massey Ferguson GTX316. I put in a bid on an online auction for this tractor. I really did not expect to win the auction, but I did. The first time I saw it in person was when I went to pick it up.
Everything works good on this GT. It has a 16 hp Kohler magnum motor, it has a 2-speed hydraulic drive and it has hydraulic lift too. It has 8-16 rear tires. It also has an electric pto. I mostly use it for mowing with the 44 inch deck on it. A friend of mine made the custom front bumper for it.
I also have a sleeve hitch for pulling a garden plow on it and I have a 54 inch snow blade that fits it. You might have noticed that the sleeve hitch is not gray, it is orange. Same color as my snowblade. These tractors were made by Ingersol and some parts are interchangeable with a 4000 series Case tractor.

Edited by JBBR, November 14, 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Let the voting begin. :D
  • BTS and Huskyfan have said thanks