• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • Member No: 9183
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:07 PM

I was just wodering if there is such a Power King- a 1962 and the model is a x9317e? I've never seen or heard of one before. Does anyone know if these were ever made?
Thanks
Parry

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:35 AM

Yes, it's a 1962 Economy. The x9317e number you posted is the serial number which does match with the 1962 year. If it has 12" front wheels, its a Power King model. If the front wheels are 8", it's a Jim Dandy model. Those were the only two models the company offered until the latter half of the 70's when they switched the tractor name to Power King and went with number models. Engineered Products in Wisconsin built these tractors and the manufacturing run lasted from 1946 - approx. 1996. Company was sold several times starting in the mid 80's I would guess. That's probably more than you wanted to know and I could go on and on but I think I will spare everybody.

Are you looking to purchase this tractor or did you just see one and get curious? Are you able to get any pictures of it?
  • boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes i told the fellow that i would buy it but not til the spring, i have to save some money. I've gotten to know him pretty good. You got go about it some more thats ok because always willing to learn new things from people. It's restored to very good condition and he has a front plow and a mower for it. On a scale of 1-10, how rare would it be? probobly not too rare i would think? I really like this tractor and it'll look nice beside my 1947 Gibson model D when i restore it this winter. Sorry i don't have any pics of the Economy and he did say that it has 2 transmissions.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:54 PM

On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being very rare? Probably a 3. They didn't make a lot of these tractors but they are out there. I really don't consider it rare but I was heavily into them for a while so I've seen many of them and know people who have this vintage Economy. You don't see this vintage very often with dual transmissions so that would tailt the scales a little more to the rare side. Can't wait to see it when you can get some pics. Looks like you should have either a Wisconsin AENL or a Briggs 23 in that tractor if the engine is original.

#5 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Briggs but don't what model engine it is. This will be the first Economy I would own. I can't wait to get it! I better start working some weekends. Thanks very much and is there any websites that are just for Economy tractors that you know of?

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:37 PM

There are some groups on Yahoo if you do a group search.

#7 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks but would there be websites for parts or attachments that you know of?

#8 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:21 PM

does it look like my tractor? i have the 8" front wheels

#9 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:02 PM

does it look like my tractor? i have the 8" front wheels

I'm not too sure what the size of the front wheels are and it doesn't have the front lift mechanism on it like yours. And the headlights are at the back of the hood under the steering wheel. Is that where they were mounted in that year or would someone have mounted them there because they like there? Just curious.

#10 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:12 PM

my father custom made the lift mechanism for a plow i dont think these tractors came with headlights because he mounted these headlights to the plow frame

#11 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:26 PM

my father custom made the lift mechanism for a plow i dont think these tractors came with headlights because he mounted these headlights to the plow frame

Ok so maybe the headlights on the one that I'm looking at were put on at a later date which is possible. I really like them on the tractor in the spot they are and the style of them. Sorry I don't have any pics of it just yet but when I get it I'll try to post some pics. How much would it be worth, just a rough idea? It's in restored condition and comes with a front plow and belly mounted mower deck.

#12 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM

to me mine is priceless not sure what they are worth never did any research on that end

#13 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:33 AM

to me mine is priceless not sure what they are worth never did any research on that end

Ok thanks. Just curious that's all. I'm still gonna buy this one because i told the guy i would and i like it.