#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Has anyone have any tips on reviving a kohler starter. It's on a K301 in a JD 112. I figure this question was good for any brand tractor with a Kohler. The starter seemed weak when I first got the tractor. Well after the tractors partial restore it quit. I got all excited tonight cause its starting time and I GOT NOTHIN! Only the solenoid clicking. So I ran power straight to the started with ground to the engine and NOTHING again. Before the restore it would spin like crazy with the spark plug out. I've removed the head on the engine and verified the ACR is working. Are these starters fairly easy to rebuild or am I better off getting a new one. Thanks!

Eric

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Did the tractor get a paint job?

If the starter and mounting brackets have been painted, there is a good possibility that the starter is not grounding.

Paint must be removed from surfaces that conduct current, such as starter mounting bolts, battery cable connections to the frame, etc.

That being said, starters do go bad, so your problem may be in the starter.
  • dropped82 said thank you

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:48 AM

One trick that works for dirty commutator/ worn brushes, is to hold the key in start position and whack the starter with hammer. If it starts to turn, you have a bad connection on the brushes. This trick will get you by for a while but it will need rebuilt before too long

Another trick for weak starters is to manualy rotate the engine off of TDC

Edited by rat88, November 15, 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:59 AM

The Kohler starter is a quality unit. No Briggs tin can here! Depending on what is wrong with it and your abilities, you may be able to rebuild it. First when you take it apart, keep track of the bedix parts and the order they go. Take a photo. Most likely the brushes are bad and the commutator needs to be polished.

If you can't do it, take it to a rebuilder. They're cheaper than a new starter.
  • skunkhome said thank you

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:13 AM

I removed the engine before any paint so ground is not the problem. I've never rebuilt one but I guess this is the time to learn. I have the Kohler manual which I think has an exploded view of the internals. Is there any good place to get parts from? Does kohler still have parts for it? Thanks for the help.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:50 AM

One trick that works for dirty commutator/ worn brushes, is to hold the key in start position and whack the starter with hammer. If it starts to turn, you have a bad connection on the brushes. This trick will get you by for a while but it will need rebuilt before too long

Another trick for weak starters is to manualy rotate the engine off of TDC

Do NOT "whack" a Kohler starter. They have ceramic magnets and are susceptible breakage.
Rebuild kits are available on ebay at very reasonable prices.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 15, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Maybe whack was not the propper term. A gentle tap with an 8oz brass hammer will usually get the job done.