Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Sunstrand Hydro In 68 Ford 120 Info Needed


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 67ford120 OFFLINE  

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14431
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts
  • Location: sault canada

Posted November 14, 2012 - 05:15 PM

i just got a 1968 ford 120 with the blower, lawnmower, and little trailer. (i was told it was a 67) ser no 53093-6616, with the Kohler 12 hp series K301 engine. got it running, but have not driven it, and will not attempt drive it until i can service the hydro trans. it sat for several years.
downloaded the manuals from this website (thanks to all who post these) and according to them i should have an eaton series 11 hydro with an obvious filter underside.
i do not. this thing has a sunstrand model 90 2029 ser # 01-HA-17651

acording to the manual i should be able to drain the old fluid via plug at bottom of case. what came out was definitely gearlube, added some new fluid at the breather to flush a bit out, and not a drop comes out of the drain plug. definitely seems to be 2 different sumps.
anybody got a manual / photos/ info on these? where is the filter? please see photo of underside of my unit
i want to start the drive with all new clean fluids. what is the fluid to use? i have seen reference to auto trans fluid type A
help! 67ford120tractor 003sm.jpg


  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,383 Thanks
  • 4,690 posts
  • Location: Holland, IN

Posted November 14, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but..... :welcometogttalk:

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  


    Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts
  • Location: benton harbor, mi

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:32 PM

:welcome: I am not familar with the sunstrand model hydro, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m


  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 4,063 posts
  • Location: Charlestown,Rhode Island

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:08 PM

First off, Welcome to GTt! I will have to do a little checking. I haven't owned a Hydro Ford/Jacobsen yet. But I can tell you that there are 2 separate units the one you drained is the transaxle it takes SAE 90 gear oil. drain plug is the one on the bottom, fill plug is the one in back half way up the transaxle.
Fill with SAE 90 till it starts to run out the filler hole.

The second unit is the Hydro pump. The fill is under the seat towards the front of the tractor. It takes Type A trans fluid.

I am not sure on the filter, if it has one it is mounted inside the reservoir (unit the fill plug is in) I will try and get more info for you later on tonight.
  • 67ford120 said thank you

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts
  • Location: Upper Granville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:31 AM

67ford120,sorry,I can't help you either.Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  



  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,408 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like Chris has your question answered. The Eaton's were started after 1972. I hope we get better manual help with these older units. There are a bunch of them out there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission