UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Heath is just starting to pull up and stand but has shown no interest in climbing. Well today he was playing in his crib - the side of which is about forehead high on him - and the wife and I were doing other things around the house. And we heard a terrible thump followed by a blood curdling scream. A mad sprint into his room found him on the floor under his crib. NO injuries, but it is time to lower his mattress. Little monster nearly gave me a heart attack.
  • KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Geez, glad he's OK.
Just so you know, the next lesson is pulling stuff off the counter or table onto his head or foot.
From this point on, nothing on the edge of anything is safe.

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Well yesterday he pulled the binoculars off the file cabinet and onto his foot. The day before that he pulled up on the couch and grabbed the kitten by the tail - who was peacefully sleeping- and dragged her across his face. He has a nice Harry Potter like scatch on his forehead. As we speak he is trying to get into the tote with the dog food in it.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, November 14, 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:37 PM

well your fun is just beginning. I think Bailey had a lump in the middle of his forehead from about 18 months untill he was 12. Thn he got a skateboard and the injuries moved around. Oh there was the time he was boxing in the basement with his friend and broke his jaw.
He seems to do these things less now that he is 35? But seems to alway be beaten a little from loading hogs in trucks?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 14, 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yep your days of bliss and just holding and enjoying your son are over. Now it is time to go to work, wait until he starts crawling and then walking you and your wife will be quite busy. You all will enjoy nap time or bed time. Have fun! :smilewink:
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:44 PM

My oldest son spent the first two Christmases in the ER. My youngest girl broke her elbow falling about 10 inches onto carpet. My oldest girl was one big band aid for a couple of years. This is the first one that has taken to free falling from their crib though.

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yep your days of bliss and just holding and enjoying your son are over. Now it is time to go to work, wait until he starts crawling and then walking you and your wife will be quite busy. You all will enjoy nap time or bed time. Have fun! :smilewink:

Little monster is already crawling. We have had to go through the moving and barricading anything he shouldn't get into. He is learning that playing with cords equals getting popped on the butt. But he hasn't begun to get into stuff yet.

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:18 PM

Had the same issue with my youngest but lowered the mattress before it got that far. Now he is at the pulling things down stage so everything gets pushed waaaaaaay back....oh yea, had to get the straps for fridge, dishwasher, and stove as well. I dont rem doin all that fir my 8 & 9 yr olds when they wer this yound....hmmmm

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Heath is just starting to pull up and stand but has shown no interest in climbing. Well today he was playing in his crib - the side of which is about forehead high on him - and the wife and I were doing other things around the house. And we heard a terrible thump followed by a blood curdling scream. A mad sprint into his room found him on the floor under his crib. NO injuries, but it is time to lower his mattress. Little monster nearly gave me a heart attack.

I was about 10 when my youngest sister was born, so I remember a number of things about her childhood quite well. One afternoon, sometime after she had learned to pull to her feet, she was having a crying fit. I remember Mom being totally exasperated with this non-stop crying child, so she ended up putting her in her crib, which was on a concrete floor. So, the entire family is suffering through this ceaseless "WWaaaaHHH" when all of a sudden there was a loud "Plop!" and several seconds of silence. My first thought was that Dad had had enough and had "Given her something to cry about", but then the wailing started again and I saw Mom AND Dad go racing by. She had managed to pull up over the edge of the crib, flipped over, landed on her butt, so no harm done, and it startled her into complete silence!
None of my 4 have done anything like that, so I'm quite happy!

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:07 PM

You know there ARE guides to "Baby-Proofing" your home and safety measures and items galore in stores to cover and lock things that baby's get into. More NO's may be needed for some also. We used the cupboard safety latches, there's some for FRigs too and some outlet covers are good in common areas. My Sister taped jar covers over all there corners on tables and such. Seemed a bit Overkill to me tho. Gates for stairs and other rooms are PIA for grown-ups, but good things to mount and use. Get ones with hinges to open easy for adults and the type that "pressure" into place are OK for not so often travelled spots.

Best prevention......Quit Making more Babies!! :(
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:47 PM

My son did the same thing.We already had the crib down the whole way and he wasn't even 2 yet.So needless to say he went from the crib to the toddler bed.

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:37 PM

My oldest girl was one big band aid for a couple of years. This is the first one that has taken to free falling from their crib though.

Wait until the Dr. at the ER starts asking you questions and the ladies at the market give you and Lil' Fauntlroy funny looks.

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Wait until the Dr. at the ER starts asking you questions and the ladies at the market give you and Lil' Fauntlroy funny looks.

I just tell them that little boys are supposed to be dirty and bruised. Today he was crawling around the floor in the office of a friends garage. Little monster was filthy but happy.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:31 AM

I just tell them that little boys are supposed to be dirty and bruised. Today he was crawling around the floor in the office of a friends garage. Little monster was filthy but happy.

I am so glad to see others think the same way.. I know in most of the pictures carved outta stone from my youth that i was almost always dirty.. head to toe dirty... hmm it seems nothing has changed either.....

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Update on the flop. He has a nice bruise on his forehead and the bridge of his nose. Isn't slowing him down a bit though. He is currently hot lapping the house in his walker. Going to have to put a stopwatch on him. Last night he was chasing the dogs around with it. Never seen dogs having so much fun in my life.
  • Team_Green said thank you