• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 12:56 AM

The total acceptance today by every level of our society of "The Drug Culture" has changed America forever.

Drunken-ness, wastedness, bad behaviour in public has gone way beyond recall and who could or would stand against it anymore? There's no turning back. "You can't tell me what to do or not do!" We law abiding people used to have a say in society. Now it's the crooked lawyers, dropouts and dopers who dictate the standards and we really can't tell them what not to do.

Current society's ills will get worse and worse and spread further into every aspect of life and family in every corner of the country. We know this is true because we can look around every town in America and see it. Interestingly, you can not do anything about it. If you raise YOUR KID right with values and purpose, his life will be diminished immensely by some DOPER"S BOY/GIRL with no upbringing. No matter how rightious a person is today there are 20 who will degrade that person's life every way they can and laugh.

Too bad no one took a stand back when it counted because it's too late to "...go home again."

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Harold, having a lot of life ahead of me (Lord willing) and having two little ones... I sure hope you are wrong. I pray about it every day... what should I do, how should we raise them so that they have the same mentalities that my wife and I have instead of the mentality that too much of this country does.

#18 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Harold, having a lot of life ahead of me (Lord willing) and having two little ones... I sure hope you are wrong. I pray about it every day... what should I do, how should we raise them so that they have the same mentalities that my wife and I have instead of the mentality that too much of this country does.

I used to hope I'm wrong too, but I got eyes and ears. Strong family values, possibly some form of religion...? I know that I rejected eveything my parents taught me except honesty. I finally found my place in life after learning everything the hard way. I wish I were 25 again today instead of just acting like it. I make no bones about it, I am truly blessed with no children.

#19 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:51 PM

While I am not a real big tv fan, I have been watching (well, dvr'ing and watching from time to time) Revolution - a show that takes place "in the future" where for some reason electricity (in any form) doesnt work anymore. Kind of pertinant to this discussion... Interesting to see how radically something "so small" changes civilization. And interesting how simple and basic their lives have become.... The show is kind of hokey at times, but an intersting premise and makes you think what could hapen if basic services broke down...

As far as values, I think that is one of the biggest problems we have, based on the breakdown of the family system. I grew up in a religious family. While I DID rebel and go my own way for a while, the core values that my parents instilled in me were always there in the background. How does the old saying go? "Train up a child....." I ended up on track and passed those values on to my kids. And it looks like they will pass them on to THEIR kids.

My grandparents died when I was young, but my folks "adopted" an older couple who went to our church and I learned a LOT from them. I learned about a time BEFORE tv, before airplanes, before indoor plumbing. The gentleman, who was blind when we knew him, had been a wrought iron worker and blacksmith in his youth in Europe. He taught me about a different world. Older people USED to be prrized for their knowledge and life experience. But that was before the internet.. :( Now they (we?) are just old and out of touch...
  • sacsr, twostep and LilysDad have said thanks

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 12:33 AM

Harold, for years and years I said I didn't want kids and that I didn't want to bring kids up in this world but having a new nephew and a couple of sermons at church made me change my view. And I couldn't imagine not having little ones now. They bring more joy to my life than anything. I definitely can't blame you though!

I think that everyone (at least most) rebel or pull away from their upbringing and try their own thing for a while. I did too. I partied, lived a sinful life (not that I'm all holy now) but God blessed me and I realized the value in the values my folks gave me. From mom it was religion and compassion and from dad it was hard work and honesty.
  • sacsr and LilysDad have said thanks

#21 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have seen this Proverbs in real life over and over again.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Looking back, I wish I had done more for and with my kids. They are all well behaved and hard workers, but what we teach them when they are young, helps them get through the bumps in the road when they are older. I too fall back on my parents teachings and actions as I have gotten older.

#22 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:22 AM

It seems to me that being prepared would include a lot of green technologies. Solar and wind power can produce a load of electricity. Composting toilets, solar water heaters, bio-fuels...these are all off the grid kind of things. Conserving and storing water is another. Raising/hunting animals is good (the latest development in green culture seems to be people getting back to hunting to get away from factory-farmed meat, and aging hippies seem to want chickens in their backyards).

The thing is that we don't know what the calamity will be. If it's slow and leaves a lot of survivors (like economic collapse), then you have to worry about looters. If it's fast and wipes out most of the population (say a super-virus, which is a very real possibility) then there'll be a lot of free stuff around we can use. In either case, I'd bet on a rural area being the safest place to be.

Whatever happens...even if there is no apocalypse...it always pays to understand how things work. How does the water get to your tap? How come the lights go on? How come plants grow? How do you build a house? How do you fix a machine? How do you slaughter an animal for food? How do you organize/manage a small community? Never stop learning, never stop asking questions.

I'm not much into prepping, but I'm pretty sure I can get by if it all goes bad. I won't starve or go thirsty. Not having tobacco will make me a tad grumpy of course, but it doesn't grow well in this climate.
  • boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#23 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have seen this Proverbs in real life over and over again.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Looking back, I wish I had done more for and with my kids. They are all well behaved and hard workers, but what we teach them when they are young, helps them get through the bumps in the road when they are older. I too fall back on my parents teachings and actions as I have gotten older.

I agree 100% with you.IMO too many people raising young families today seem to rely on books and psycologists. Those peoples kids are more screwed up than anybody.The kids today have all the rights and no respect. [not all kids..... most]
  • sacsr said thank you

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I too was raised in an ultra conservative christian home and while i rebelled for a time came back.
Unfortunately a lot of the moral decay in this country is due the the church considering politics to be a dirty business and not taking an active part. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and morally bankrupt people have raised the ruckus and politicians have catered to thier appeal. We can not change what has happened but it is our responsibility to take an active part in changing the future.
preparing will only acomplish so much without changing the attitudes and pracitices of society.
  • sacsr said thank you

#25 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:01 AM

I too was raised in an ultra conservative christian home and while i rebelled for a time came back.
Unfortunately a lot of the moral decay in this country is due the the church considering politics to be a dirty business and not taking an active part. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and morally bankrupt people have raised the ruckus and politicians have catered to thier appeal. We can not change what has happened but it is our responsibility to take an active part in changing the future.
preparing will only acomplish so much without changing the attitudes and pracitices of society

I agree entirely with the above statement. However, we of the "old values" are becoming less in numbers as time goes by and hence we are having rapidly decreasing influence on society. That doesn't mean we should give up, just see it for what it is and deal with it day by day. As far as the evolution in society we are seeing, only the players and eras change. History merely mirrors and records human nature.

Re. Religion. The Church has been legislated OUT of politics from the beginning via The Constitution and so separated it should be. Religion is a personal not a political tool. In places where this has not been true there have been uncountable wars whipped up in the name of religion.

But we can take heart in the trials and plights of those gone before because we are in good if long gone company, "Jeez Cleopatra... this dynasty sure ain't what it used to be back in Menes' time... now it's all going down the royal crapper! Next thing you know they'll be knocking the nose right off the Sphinx and digging up our dead!"