• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • Member No: 14199
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:14 PM

At the time those were built, there were countless foundaries around the country that would pour gears for anyone that would order enough to make a run profitable. My dad worked partime at the Newton Foundary as a moulder and my brother worked shakeout and grinding while in highschool. When I worked in the machineshop at Farmhand cast gears would come in is baskets and I would broach the keyways and drill and tap for setscrews. Finding the replacement parts might be difficult,you might have to find gears and fit them into the gearbox, (machining might be necessary). An enterprizing guy could mould, pour and machine any casting needed if so motivated. That's how guys like Henry Ford and the Dodge Brothers got started(infact the Dodge brothers started making castings for Henry Ford).

If I had a lathe and honed my lathe skills I had in tech school I am sure I could do something creative lets see how many years ago?

#17 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• Member No: 7954
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:36 PM

NRA1:
A front / snow blade for an Arkansas 1631? Does it snow down there? :)

My 1632 didn't have a plow when I bought it (did have the 48" mower deck which had very little wear). I dry fitted the 48" plow from my Wheel Horse and the unit was very close to the factory plow and mounts (primarily the rear mounts). I like the angle capability of the WH unit but before I started fabbing, I came across a factory 48" plow to fit the hydraulic lift on my 1632. Next year I'm going to weld mounts for angle cylinders. This year I'm going to have to plan my plowing (I have a 1500 foot driveway) to lessen the number of times I need to change angles (apparently you attach a rope to release the angle lock and then you run into a pile to change the angle much like a PowerKing). The final driveway / snow trimming is still going to be the responsibility of my 310-8.

Since I got into these tractors, I have found some info online. Should you need quick reference material, let me know and I'll forward what I got for the 1630 series. I have learned a LOT about these tractors in the short time I've owned one.

Tom
  • nra1ifer and speedyx have said thanks

#18 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well, believe it or not, we DO get snow here, although last year there was not much to speak of. The prior year, though, we got 2 feet of snow in one fast dumping. That one convinced me to go to Lebanon, MO to pick up a barely-used front blade for my GT6000. I had been watching it for a couple of weeks on CL, but once the roads cleared, we made the trip. I mounted it on the GT6000 and didn't get any snow since! Maybe I ought to leave it off, then I bet we'll get some! You just never know around here.

#19 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • Member No: 14199
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM

My dad back in the early 60's dug a half basement with the help of a M23 tiller steer!

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Try this website: http://www.speedextr....com/Parts.html