• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • Member No: 14199
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Very strange little information about Speedex, Were gears in diff only made for them and who made them? No docmentation found for the M23 tho the S23 was similar.Heck I can still get parts for a Edsel and any documents you want.You would think out there some where even the people who worked for them would add some input, tho a lot of them may of passed.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:22 PM

I met a fella at a show with stories about buying up speedex factory stuff and even the re-do of company that folded AND, the Strongland company that followed as a junk buyer. Claimed to have gotten lots of frames and parts and even offices full of manuals and furniture. Claimed he hauled it around to shows and offered on web, with little interest. Ended up srapping most of metal parts and burning most of manuals!!! Couldn't believe he would do that. Was depressed after the stories. You have to post on what is left of the speedex sites and links given before and just wait for replies. There is some fella in Ohio that is supposed to have parts left over from one of the company's sales when shutting down? Go to the Strongland site and ask there also. Google search for the sites. There is always a big show in Ohio for just the speedex guys that brings in many models and lots of parts. Hunt on www.speedextractorinformation.org or close to find the dates for that show. Got to get to shows in Ohio and PA this summer for best results of finding parts and people with them.
  • speedyx said thank you

#3 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:44 PM

That is what happens,when these things were made no one ever thought they would last that long.I have a 41 Deere still going strong who would of thought.Antique machines 50 yrs from now? Who knows I do not think it will be a Husqvarna ha

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:42 AM

husqvarna....... :bigrofl: , yea can't see that one....

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:20 AM

husqvarna....... :bigrofl: , yea can't see that one....

Maybe one of their chainsaws but tractors.... not likely!
  • speedyx said thank you

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Due to the cost of parts and labor, very little is made to last anymore.
Mike
  • speedyx said thank you

#7 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:14 AM

By building junk it helps create all those jobs Romney and Obama talked about creating

#8 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:05 PM

to answer your question speedex built most of the gear train from parts from a number of companies as far as i can tell i have done a few searches online for stock suppliers for speedex and can't find any of the old companies names . The gears in the 2 speed trannies have a stamp on them , spent an evening looking for the co. but was not successful so the parts may be blanks then speedex did the final machining on them, but the gears are hardend so that would lead me to belive they were outsourced since you would need several different machines to do each gear style back in the day
  • speedyx said thank you

#9 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:18 AM

True,I know the ring gear in the rear is really a crude casting not finished.who knows who they used for gears,

#10 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:59 AM

imagesCA131L45.jpg Poor Jim doesn't have a Speedex either.

#11 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 04:56 PM

i own several speedex's and wouldn't take an edsil if it was given to me , well on second thought i would take it and resell it so i still wouldn't keep it but y'all will have to pry my speedex's from my cold dead fingers! :smilewink:

#12 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• Member No: 7954
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Needed a project this past year and stumbled across a 1980 Model 1632. The lack of information is challenging but if you are kinda familiar with fabrication, you can build and improve these tanks with a little creativity. Although I was looking for a Wheel Horse D model (and found a rusty / broken 180 in a barnyard that the owner is "going to restore" but could let go for $2000!) because of my 1967 1067 and 1986 310-8, I am very happy the Speedex came along. Thus far I have invested $400 in the initial purchase and about an additional $600 in upgrade costs. Looking forward to pushing a little snow this winter.

With the exception of the rear end, most everything was an off the shelf part. This can be challenging as until parts were used up, there are very few "two of a kind" Speedex's. Because the tractor was built nearby, there are many Speedex experts here in Northeast Ohio. If you have a specific problem or question, I could probably help out either by my own experience of by getting you in touch with collectors locally.

Good luck on your mission!

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT4004.JPG
  • PICT4181.JPG

• speedyx said thank you

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Needless to say, I LOVE my 1631!! I keep my eyes open for a front blade, though. I might need to do some fab'ing to make my Craftsman blade fit the Speedex. Wouldn't take much to do.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:23 AM

At the time those were built, there were countless foundaries around the country that would pour gears for anyone that would order enough to make a run profitable. My dad worked partime at the Newton Foundary as a moulder and my brother worked shakeout and grinding while in highschool. When I worked in the machineshop at Farmhand cast gears would come in is baskets and I would broach the keyways and drill and tap for setscrews. Finding the replacement parts might be difficult,you might have to find gears and fit them into the gearbox, (machining might be necessary). An enterprizing guy could mould, pour and machine any casting needed if so motivated. That's how guys like Henry Ford and the Dodge Brothers got started(infact the Dodge brothers started making castings for Henry Ford).
  • Alc said thank you

#15 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Needed a project this past year and stumbled across a 1980 Model 1632. The lack of information is challenging but if you are kinda familiar with fabrication, you can build and improve these tanks with a little creativity. Although I was looking for a Wheel Horse D model (and found a rusty / broken 180 in a barnyard that the owner is "going to restore" but could let go for $2000!) because of my 1967 1067 and 1986 310-8, I am very happy the Speedex came along. Thus far I have invested $400 in the initial purchase and about an additional $600 in upgrade costs. Looking forward to pushing a little snow this winter.

With the exception of the rear end, most everything was an off the shelf part. This can be challenging as until parts were used up, there are very few "two of a kind" Speedex's. Because the tractor was built nearby, there are many Speedex experts here in Northeast Ohio. If you have a specific problem or question, I could probably help out either by my own experience of by getting you in touch with collectors locally.

Good luck on your mission!

Tom

I like those tractors,I have a M23 the rear gears need a little work.