Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I wonder if the connector is melted on. It looks like the wires where hot at some point , maybe a weak battery that kept the charging rate high or a bad connection causing the heat ? Or maybe like you said the PO glued it on lol. If it was mine I would mark where the wires go on the regulator and try breaking the connector , put crimp spade treminals on the old regulator to see if that's any good , if so either leave the spades on or try for a replacement pigtail , if still no good try finding a new regulator and plug , might find a site supporter having what you need , Al

#17 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:38 PM

Thanks Al. It very well could have been overheated and slightly melted. The wire insulation though is in good shape and not melted. I may just end up breaking the plug and going the spade terminal route. No matter what when I get it figured out I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help! Adam

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:40 AM

I had one where the wires came loose in the plug and backed out a little. Every once in a while it would quit charging so I would have to take each wire and push it up in the plug until it made contact again. Maybe not the problem but worth checking before you go through a lot of heart ache.

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well I still can not get that freaking terminal loose from the regulator/rectifier. I have tried prying and pulling till I am going to break it but its still locked on. Previous owner definitely glued it with something, maybe it kept coming loose for him? Anyway, I decided to insert straight pins into the AC wires coming from the stator just to get a quick reading of the voltage. I got 26 volts AC but I was just laying the lead on the pins so I think the stator is good. I checked the 2 yellow wires coming out of the regulator/rectifier and they were at 12.34 volts DC. All the wires at the various switches were also at 12.34 volts as well as the battery. This is while the tractor is running at WOT. Shouldn't I have more like 13.5 volts at the battery in order for it to be charging? Any suggestions? Adam

You should have 13.5 - 14.5 volts at the battery in order to charge the battery. That connector could have corrosion built up on the terminals causing high resistance. Soak it in some PB blaster and see if that helps get the connector off.

#20 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Ok guys I finally have the 1614 charging the battery. I never could get that blasted plug off the old regulator so I cut the wires and crimped on spade terminals. Once I had the new terminals installed I could properly test the stator output with a solid connection. Bingo! 28 volts AC! A buddy of mine had a standard Kohler regulator so I went ahead and tried that one first. The mounting hole were not the correct distance for the PK so rather than drill additional holes in the dash I fabbed up a couple mounting plates from copper. (I know they were overkill. LOL) To my surprise still no charge. I tested the B terminal and was only getting 2.5 volts DC. Another bad regulator? I then ordered a new regulator from e-bay and installed it today and finally, the PK is charging great. Thanks for all your help and Happy Tractoring! Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-12-03 19.20.12.jpg
  • 2012-12-03 19.31.55.jpg
  • 2012-12-03 19.51.07.jpg
  • 2012-12-12 16.10.49.jpg
  • 2012-12-08 15.55.57.jpg

• David Brown said thank you

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Glad you got it all sorted out and it is working correctly now. I always feel good when I get a problem like that fixed.

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Glad to hear you got the charging problem licked :thumbs: , Al

#23 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Glad to hear you got her fixed and this will help out people in the future! Nice looking tractor you have!