• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:58 PM

How many of you have to "ask" permission to expand or continue your hobby, favorite endeavor, favorite past time or what ever?
Don't give me the "I like to discuss it with my wife" baloney or any of that nonsense ( when's the last time she asked your permission to buy a new a new pair of shoes). It seems that that is a favorite excuse for you guy's to not purchase something you really want.
I, for one , am tired of hearing it. Don't get me wrong. If it's for the home, the children, the grand children or an emergency I am all for discussions, But I can't imagine asking "permission" to drag home another piece of old iron.

GENTLEMEN?

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Once I passed 5 tractors, I knew I needed helpin my decision making on GTs. The other factor is cost, usually anything over $200 I do have to talk to the wife on if I am out of tractor money.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Once I passed 5 tractors, I knew I needed helpin my decision making on GTs. The other factor is cost, usually anything over $200 I do have to talk to the wife on if I am out of tractor money.

Understood, if a loan is required. :thumbs:

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:26 PM

I wear the pants in my house, I TELL my wife I am going to buy whatever I want.

If you believe that I have some swamp land to sell you.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Lol....it all gets ran by the "boss". I was ona streak for a while wher they would jus show up and that never went well. Shes much more relaxed if i say somethin first...lol. Lettin er feel the power of hein boss makes it so much smoother and in the end i get what i want so....

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:31 PM

41 yrs of marriage does not come without a little cooperation on the part of both partners. We both earn our money and collaborate on where it goes. If that makes me less a man in the opinion of some so be it. We rarely argue and the peace is priceless.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 13, 2012 - 06:36 PM.

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:44 PM

I can buy whatever I want. That is, if I sell a toy I already have to buy another. When I found my suburban, I sold a guitar and then asked her if she would give me $75 to get it. That's how much I was short. I am retired with a small fixed income and she works. We do need my income so I can't just go out and blow it. If she couldn't have swung that 75 bucks, something else would have gone up for sale on craigslist. When I saw my plow for sale, I told her and she said to call the guy and see if he would hold it till payday. I did and he held it. She's a good one.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:53 PM

We rarely argue and the peace is priceless.

:thumbs:

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't ask permission, I made a promise not to buy another GT. We are saving to buy a retirement home in the Adirondacks and currently do not live together. If I sell one, then another will take it's place. I don't need any specifically, currently living in suburbia and mowing a postage stamp. I have a few at dad's place that I purchased for our house together. I have passed up many a good deal, but I'm happy and so is she.

One of the criteria for the retirement property is a large barn for current and future tractors.

#10 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

No problem here, I just tell her what I'm looking at or going after, she doesn't say much ------------------ for a week or so!

After all, the only time she gets to go anywhere is when I'm going after something!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ~~ Lowell

#11 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have a tractor fund. It goes up a wee bit from my paychecks. Otherwise, it's funded by selling or flipping tractors. I bought the Jacobsen this summer off from Ebay, and the fund was down to a few hundred. Sold the JD 185 and the Husqvarna ZTR. Back up to 1,800 or so. Parts and oils for the Kubota diesel in the Jacobsen. Back down to 1,700. Buying the Bolens nearly wiped that out. So I will fix up and sell the Bolens, or possibly the Homelite, before I buy anything else.

Unless.......

I find something that can flipped quick for a profit. (like a JD 318 cab for sale for $150)

JD Cab 007.jpg Cab II 001.jpg

#12 Kyocum ONLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:52 PM

If it something I want and it does not bother the bill money I will just go get it. Most of the time I just don't say anything at all. I had my deisel almost 6 months before the wife realised I had one. If at all possible I like the barter system best of anything. Trading is always a good scenario because everyone comes out a winner.

#13 Team_Green ONLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:53 PM

As long as i don't supprise my wife anything goes. Just don't spend the last buck in the bank... Heck she convinced me to buy a 60 hp CUT instead of the 30hp one i was looking at..

#14 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:17 PM

As long as i don't supprise my wife anything goes. Just don't spend the last buck in the bank... Heck she convinced me to buy a 60 hp CUT instead of the 30hp one i was looking at..

Still think you shoulda jumped to a 6 or 7 thousand series with a loader........
Posted Image

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:20 PM

41 yrs of marriage does not come without a little cooperation on the part of both partners. We both earn our money and collaborate on where it goes. If that makes me less a man in the opinion of some so be it. We rarely argue and the peace is priceless.

Can't argue with your thinking JD! My wife doesn't stand in my way of buying, as long as there's food on the table & no bill collectors at the door. :thumbs: