Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Gents,

I know it,s not a GT, but I thought maybe one of you Jake guys might be able to help me out with a bit of info.

I just picked up 2 rotary mowers for $20.00 (that's for both, not one) :smile1:

One of them is a old Jacobsen 4 blade. It's the 18" one with the 321 2 stroke engine.

I'm trying to find out what the correct gas/oil mix should be. There is nothing anywhere on the mower to indicate what it should be.

It appears to be in good shape and has pretty good compression. I'm hoping that it doesn't have anything major wrong with it, as I'd like to get it running.

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 11:13 AM

I'll bet a couple of pics would help too...

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3429.jpg
  • 100_3432.jpg
  • 100_3431.jpg
  • 100_3428.jpg

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 11:29 AM

To be on the safe side, I'd start with 20:1 and see how smoky that works. If it produces a lot of oil smoke from the exhaust and you can see signs of oil on the muffler, then move to 32:1. I'd be cautious in going beyond that because metalurgy has come a long, long way since that mower left the factory so 40:1, 50:1 and beyond are risks I wouldn't take. To me, as long as it appears to be burning fairly clearly, then that meets my criteria. I'd rather having it run with a tad too much oil then the other way around.

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Well, with a bit of googling, I found a manual for that rascal. The Jake manual says 1/4 Pt. per Gallon :smile1:

So, I zipped down to Wally-Mart, got a new gas can, some 30 wt non-detergent oil (which they also specified), mixed it up, poured a bit into the tank, put in a new plug, and danged if that old girl didn't fire on the first pull :bounce:

However, it wasn't running right, as it would run on choke, but when I moved the lever back to high, med, of light, it would run for a few seconds, and then cut out. As long as I kept switching back and forth to choke it would stay running. It was also blowing smoke like one of the Blue Angles jets as well. :(

I took a bit of a break, and then took off the air filter cover, to discover that there wasn't an element in it, and that the choke plate was COVERED in greasy dirt!

Seeing that, I decided to take off the carb, and see if I could clean it up a bit. With a LIBERAL dosing of WD40, I got all of the crud washed off, and had the carb looking not too bad. Some, if not all, of the fuel that was in it drained out as well.

I reassembled everything, and used the toe portion of one of the wifes old Knee-High stockings to cover the entire air cleaner assembly. I figure that it keep out most of the big dirt, until I can get a proper air cleaner element.

I checked the plug for fouling, filled the tank full, and once again, the old girl fired on the first pull, but THIS time, settled down and kept running on all of the settings. She was still smoking pretty bad, but after a minute or two that all went away as well.

I decided that it was time to give her a test. I have some pretty high grass/weeds in a ditch in front of the house, so I cranked the old girl up to high, and had at it. It didn't even breathe hard and was knocking down 1 Ft high grass and weeds like it was nothing. Just like I remembered my Step-Dads 4 blade Jake doing back in the mid '60s. :D

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 06:21 PM

You found a manual,good for you.All it takes is a little looking.

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 08:59 PM

Excellent. The mower takes 32 to 1 mix which was my second choice.