• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Bought a WAKER/NEUSEN 9.7kw generator from the owner of the home I'm buying. The unit is a few years old, 4 hours on it, battery is good and comes mounted on a nice 4'X6' utility trailer. Everything has been stored inside a pole barn and is clean as a whistle.

I'm not familiar with that v-twin engine, a "Vangard Storm" and I can't find anything labled such on the Vangard site. They have an engine there that's pretty close in spec's, (18hp/34.6cid) but nothing expressly labled "Storm".

Can anyone fill me in?

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:58 AM

My guess only......since it is on a generator, and you need the generator during/after a "storm", that is what they are calling it.

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:29 AM

searched for ya....your right....nuthn with "storm" in it....heard of it before it seems but cant find anything on it. I have a friend that has worked at an RV dealership for many years as a tech and deals with alota generators....I 'll see what he thinks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:19 AM

It's probably a regular Vanguard with special features for use as a Gen set. The Vanguards have a reputation as very good engines and that gen set should serve you well. It sounds like the PO had it set up for easy use and looked after it! Make sure you test run it monthly and keep your fuel treated. I switched to a PTO powered generator using my diesel tractor for power source but when I used a gas backup I tried to run it once a month to keep fuel moving through the system and to test it.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Are there any numbers on the engine? May help you nail down series.

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:04 AM

Are there any numbers on the engine? May help you nail down series.

Look @ the side / base of the crankcase under the flywheel. The engine # should be stamped there as well.. Storm sounds like a marketing gimmick as if the B&S Vanguard shouldn't be enough?? :)

**Wot the heck is 'Vanguard' all about anyway?? I picture an angry doberman by a van in Texas !?! :shoot2:

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:27 AM

van·guard  (vngärd)
n.
1. The foremost position in an army or fleet advancing into battle.
a. The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement.
b. Those occupying a foremost position.
[Middle English vandgard, from avaunt garde, from Old French : avaunt, before (from Latin abante; see advance) + garde, guard (from garder, to guard; see guard).]
vanguard·ism n.
vanguard·ist n.

I assume they mean definition 2a?

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:42 AM

I assume they mean definition 2a?

Or when the govonor shaft seizes up and breaks off and it goes to 6000 rpm.

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thanks all! I probably won't get to see it close up again until after the closing for actual numbers etc. The PO is a pretty mechanically fussy ex dragracer/mechanic and all his equipment looks pretty sharp. (Kabota AWS 1800s is a bit "sun faded") so I'm sure it's been taken care of.

Here's a page from the Waker/Neuson site re. the specs. http://products.wack...partNbr=0008287
Under engine it just sez "Vanguard Storm" and all the particulars are there to compare with the "non-storm" engines on the Vanguard website. I matched the CID with one that is pretty close. I wonder if Vanguard made an engine spec'd out by Waker and put that name on it...?

(Wifey passed by the monitor when I was on the "Waker Site", she commented, "Oh? A "Waker" for the "wacky"! She knows me very well!:D)

#10 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:23 PM

i have a 10hp GENPOWER engine that is a briggs so i would think it's the same engine by another name :thumbs: