• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:02 PM

If any of you try to email me, I can receive, but not send. I think something has hacked into my email. I got 1200 emails of dubious nature in 2 hours today. I went onto my email server's "MagicMail" page, and it too was hacked with my sig line reading about some sweepstakes crap. It won't let me send out mail, saying I've sent too much, but MagicMail shows only 30 in my "sent folder"??????? I called my provider & all they could tell me was to change my passwords. Already ran virus scans & nothing showed up.
So if you need to contact me, use GTT's PM feature.
  • mjodrey, powerking56, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:58 PM

This is one of the reasons I keep a Yahoo mail account as a spare. Just in case something like this happens and I can store important information off sight and access it from anywhere. I'm just barely computer literate but this has worked good for me over the years.
I sure hope you can get things straightened out without too much trouble.

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 12:17 AM

That sucks man, just plain ole sorry, can't say any more.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 01:51 AM

Sorry to hear this Daniel. Hope you get it straightened out soon.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Sorry to hear this Daniel. Hope you get it straightened out soon.

Ditto that.

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Like you don't have enough to worry about. Yahoo will let you set up as many accounts as you can creatively think of. I have multiple. I use one for that time when your always asked what your email is and you know you'll end up ona sales list gettin junk emails, one I use for work, One I use for this account on GTT and another I use for all of my personal direct things. Sounds like alot but I keep them very short and simple and it makes life soooooo much easier.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Sorry to hear about this Daniel. From what you say, some spammer has hacked your account and used it for their own purposes. Try changing the password, mixing up letters, numbers, and use the shift key to put in characters like '@' for 'a' or use a '1' instead of an 'l'. Though, from what I am learning this semester, many attackers are getting sophisticated enough to get around this sort of thing too. You might also want to do a Google search for "Commonly used Passwords" and make sure you avoid using anything that pops up!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:24 AM

Daniel, that's a pain having your mail hacked. I've used Yahoo mail for years as my main mailbox and not had any problems at all. The spam I get is minimal. Most days there is none at all. It has never been hacked and I've used PC's and Macs over the years.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Changing the passwords will help. I am a prick when it comes to email. Those chain letters that are sent around saying that if you forward it to 5 of your firens..... blah blah blah. I delete them. They have trackers in them which is how spammers get email addresses along with viruses and hacking into peoples email accounts at the server level.
  • IamSherwood and sacsr have said thanks

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Changing the passwords will help. I am a prick when it comes to email. Those chain letters that are sent around saying that if you forward it to 5 of your firens..... blah blah blah. I delete them. They have trackers in them which is how spammers get email addresses along with viruses and hacking into peoples email accounts at the server level.

I do the same and any email that goes out to multiple addressees is sent using Bcc which is supposed to help stop spamming.

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:14 AM

That's tough! That's the trouble with you being famous, everyone wants to be you!!!

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:14 AM

There's abunch of problems building. People are having trouble logging in and there are viruses on atleast several sites. See the thread about logging in also.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Then I'm a prick as well, as they get deleted promptly, no matter the message inside. My mail is working this morning, but I shut my mail down as soon as I check it. My main trouble was my internet provider's email service side. My personal info there had been altered, so I was asttacked on both sides....provider & internal to my PC. Still checking things, and will keep vigilant.
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Daniel what I do is I give my yahoo email to the online orders and sign up etc and I use my gmail for my personal email. What I like about gmail is it lets you link back to your ISP email and pull the email over to gmail and read it but it also will let you reply to that email and it looks as if you had sent it from that email instead of gmail. Just another layer to shield you from the spammers.

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:38 AM

"What I like about gmail is it lets you link back to your ISP email and pull the email over to gmail and read it but it also will let you reply to that email and it looks as if you had sent it from that email instead of gmail."

Good Lord! Where in the world would I learn how to manipulate all that stuff? Who figgers all that stuff out anyway?:D