LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:10 AM

I was thinking about survival arms the other day. In the beginning, you may think you wish for high powered rifles to overthrow the government( Yeah, right! Good luck with that!!! One Black Hawk gunship will show you the error of that thinking!). But, for the long haul, I believe you need a fire arm that can be converted back to black powder. Eventually you will run out of shells or they will go bad, then what? What cartridges can be loaded with BP? 45-70, 45 Long Colt, 30-30, shot guns of any guage (shot or slug or ball), ??? Any hand gun shell in a revolver(I don't believe BP in an automatic would be user friendly). Your modern cartridges such as .223, 30-06, .270, etc. aren't going to work so well with BP. Of course eventually you will run out of primers and then what?

Do any of you have experience with making black powder? Where would you find potassium nitrate? Sulpher?

#47 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Don't worry about good quality ammo going bad. Store it in a cool place in sealed cans. I've fired 50 year old military surplus 30-06 without any problems. Stock up on bullets, primers and powder. A handy accessory would be a bullet remover to salvage powder from ammo that you can't use.

If you're thinking of BP firearms you would have to go back to flintlocks for sustainability. Sulfur is the hard item to get. Potassium nitrate can be obtained by processing urine. The south had to collect and process peoples urine in the Civil War.

#48 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:01 PM

Morton+Bath+Salts.+Ya+pretty+much_34e783_3755770.jpg
  • ducky and twostep have said thanks

#49 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:40 PM

I was thinking about survival arms the other day. In the beginning, you may think you wish for high powered rifles to overthrow the government( Yeah, right! Good luck with that!!! One Black Hawk gunship will show you the error of that thinking!).

If North American goes to hell in a handbasket I would not be trying to over throw the government. I would be fending off the tards that never even saved a pack of seeds to grow anything to eat or learn how to provide for their family. In a SHTF situation every day will be a day of work of some sort. Go read a survivalist board and see how many out there think that having 1000's of rounds is enough to be prepared. Can't fight if your starving...

Edited by Team_Green, November 17, 2012 - 06:42 PM.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#50 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm suspecting there may even be Zombie Tractors!!! You know the ones. They look like a rolling wreck, but for some unknown reason they refuse to die. They just keep putting along. Maybe you even have one!

Maximum overdrive!

#51 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:05 PM

If North American goes to hell in a handbasket I would not be trying to over throw the government.

I suspect everyone focused on the wrong part of my post. My ideas were to keep arms functioning as long as possible in case of ammunition depletion.

As for the military, what are those young men going to be doing when they don't get a paycheck anymore? More than one of them are going to be using their newfound skills to their own betterment. And maybe they will gang up!

Edited by LilysDad, November 17, 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#52 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:51 PM

As for the military, what are those young men going to be doing when they don't get a paycheck anymore? More than one of them are going to be using their newfound skills to their own betterment. And maybe they will gang up!

They'll be force fed thier three squares and living in the communist governments housing. They won't fight back.

On topic, I got the first two 55 gallon drums cleaned and in the crawlspace.

#53 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:18 AM

Zombies are lighthearted whimsical folk compared to the real people we would face. Just what the social structure of the country will look like after it's all sorted out is a broad topic to think about. One thing sure, some strongly $ supported group no one is even talking about will be ready and willing to come out and "run things" for us. Judging by the amount of ammunition purchases Homeland Security and other police and non-police agencies have been stockpiling lately I think order will come sooner rather than later. Government agencies have been doing more doomsday "prepping" than even the most prepped prepper. You will only have to hold out until the General Orders are sent down and you get your G-Card issued.

Edited by HydroHarold, November 18, 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#54 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Put up 17 pounds of deer loin in the new deep freeze... I hope to triple that number next fall.

See, this thread is not all about the "Zombie Appocolypse"... it's about being prepared in general and that is dinner meat for a month.

I've also been studying up on Aquaponics... interesting stuff. It would be fun to set up a small system in a green house just for kid's entertainment and growing some winter time veggies.

#55 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 02:28 AM

Two Step.. Where did the rest of the deer go??