#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm a believer in being prepared... Actually the more I research I wonder if I'm not a borderline "prepper" :wtf:

Seriously though I plan to prepare my family in several different ways over the next year, including training/education, food stuffs, backup water, backup electricity source, backup heat source, etc. I'll update this thread as I make progress and think of new ways to be ready for anything from a cold winter night without electricity to a major tornado.

Zombie Apocalypse Checklist:
-Generator - check

It's a basically brand new Husky 5000 watt. 3 years old and never used - only started occasionally and maintained. I found it on craigslist and the guy wanted to trade some tree service for it... correction "a LOT of tree service". He had several birch trees that were over 40' tall and he wanted about the top 15'-20' taken out of them. Plus he had a Bradford that was 40' or better (biggest Bradford pear I've ever seen) that hadn't even split out. I took it to the ground. At the base it was 20" or better. After cutting it all we loaded my trailer with probably three tons of wood and I helped him move the rest of it across his back property line into a lot of woods. I took the opportunity to buy a 32' HD extension ladder (found on craigslist for less than half price), which I needed anyway to get to some of the high points of my house.

Needless to say, I'm going to have one hellofa bonfire after this stuff dries out.

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16Z,!)8E9s4l8BKDBQhCE38gtw~~60_35.jpg

#2 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:53 PM

You might want to check this, just in case it's a REAL Zombie Apocalypse :D :D :D

• twostep and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 02:32 AM

Always good o be prepared.

Posted Image

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:19 AM

I don't have to be able to run fast, just faster than the next guy.......... :bigrofl:

#5 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:14 AM

Always good o be prepared.

Posted Image

Im not tripping him.. I'm shooting him in the knee.. I know he can't get back up that way..

:smilewink:
  • twostep said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Only 1 month to go until the Mayans get us anyway!

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Speaking of zombies, I was getting some ammunition the other day at the gun shop and noticed that they actually SELL ZOMBIE ammunition. Manufactured and packaged by Hornaday :dancingbanana:
Posted Image

Talking to one of the guys that works at the gun shop, they actually sell quite a bit of it! Available in several pistol and rifle calibers.....

Twostep, maybe you should add a case or two onto your list... :wave:
  • backwoods and marlboro180 have said thanks

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Shot gun shells also...

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:56 AM

The Boyscouts say "Be Prepared" and the US Coast Guard says "Allways Prepared". The "zombies" are just the people who ignore the uncertainties of life. You don't have to go overboard to be reasonably prepared.

A generator and fuel, a woodstove in the house, a supply of wood, some tools, some repair materials, some food, the means to keep what you have, and plans for how you will deal with possible problems is just being a responsible Dad. Most things you will need are not expensive just take advantage of sales. This week I bought 21 bars of antibacterial bath soap at 3 for a dollar. That's a six month supply. When instant oatmeal is onsale in the fall for $1 a box I buy 10 boxes. Two boxes go in my cars' survival kit with the cook pot and sterno stove the rest in the pantry. For my generator, I have a siphon tube to get gas out of the cars. Little conveniences will help alot like: matches, candles, toilet paper, soaps, good hand tools, large water storage container that you can put in the attic to provide running water by a hose, bleach, vinegar, salt, sugar, spices, ammunition, garden supplies, and books.

The list could go on and on. You have to decide what is right for you. My experience in the Army, 40 years ago was that the guys who gave me crap for being careful with my water were also the first ones to run out and then tried to take mine. I believe in being prepared and, as my fellow soldiers taught me, let the others reap what they sew.

BTW if something bad does happen, which I hope not, GTs will become very precious. Engines that can run on soy or corn oil will be needed. GTs may have to run on methane. Stationary engines can be run on woodsmoke. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, November 13, 2012 - 12:41 PM.

• sacsr, twostep and marlboro180 have said thanks

#10 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'll bet that "Zombie MAX" ammo would work real good with this puppy :D :D :D

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Team_Green, don't worry, I've already got enough ammo stored up to kill enough deer, rabbit, squirrel and birds to feed us for... a while.

Boyscout, I think we think a whole lot alike. I don't plan to go overboard but basically make use of the land and resources I have available. I've got a large below grade crawl space that is tall enough to store 55 gallon poly drums standing up

Here a few of my ideas:
-Potable water - 150 gallons or so... just store bought sealed gallon size drinking water. I'll just have the wife pick up 5 -10 each time she goes to the grocery.
-Bulk water storage - actually rain water collection system probably 500 gallons or so that will serve both purposes. This will have a 12VDC pump and deep cell battery that will be charged via solar panel or just a manual pump.
-(2) Sealed buckets with a week's worth of dry food. not that hard if you are not picky. Two packs of ramen and a multi vitamin per day can get you by right? Heck even the kids can live off of oatmeal, peanut butter and canned soup.
-55 gallon water tight drum filled with cold weather supplies, eg: tent, sleeping bags, blankets, two changes of warm clothes, fire starting supplies, etc.

All of this sounds kind of kooky but when I see how people are living after Sandy. Waiting for others to come and feed, clothe and shelter them... I just can't sit by, I've got to do what I can do.

Plus back in March a town about 1.5 hours from me had a tornado come through and basically wipe out the town. Me and another guy in my 4wheeling club loaded up the backend of my blazer with jugs of water, poptarts and snack crackers and a few other easy to eat foods and headed down there to help out. People were sitting on their sidewalks with nothing but the foundations left... wearing their pajamas and house shoes. I saw way too many people that had no means of fending for themselves. Photobucket has been acting up but here is a link to the pictures I took:
http://s448.beta.pho...liberty tornado
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:23 PM

As long as your stocking up cut that pear wood up in chunks to fit the smoker. All fruit woods make excellent smoking woods and some very fine smoked meats. At least thats what I would do.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 13, 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:30 PM

What is special about that 'Zombie' Ammo? Other than the packaging?

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:02 PM

If we're having a real zombie episode, don't forget safety glasses. Seems to me that half the zombie movies have people getting infected by bites or something getting in your eye. So, wear your shooting glasses.
  • twostep said thank you

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:13 PM

As long as your stocking up cut that pear wood up in chunks to fit the smoker. All fruit woods make excellent smoking woods and some very fine smoked meats. At least thats what I would do.

bradford pear... wonder how it would smoke?