9 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I realize Halloween is well past now, but I did a little bit of prepping for the holiday and haven't shared it with anyone. Our church youth minister lives in our neighborhood and chanced to see me giving the family a trailer ride. She immediately asked me if I would participate in the church's fall festival, and how could I possibly say 'No'?
My 12G Massey has headlights and tail lights, but I wanted to wrap something around the trailer as well to help with the visibility. I had found some red, white, and blue rope lights for sale just after July 4th, and bought them thinking I would put them on the trailer at some point, so now I had a deadline. Of course, the first problem was that the lights were 110, and the tractor is 12V. However, I had an inverter that fixed that problem. I was able to do a very neat installation under the seat, then wrapped the light around the trailer. Here are some pictures.
GE 029.JPG
The inverter is a snug fit under the seat
GE 030.JPG
Wires taped down to avoid being yanked
GE 031.JPG
Clamping to the battery and taped on so nothing falls off
GE 032.JPG GE 034.JPG
Let's Ride Dad!!

Lights.jpg
All Lit Up!

The sad part was , I had class that evening, went to class, and had to hand the actual driving over to someone else. However, the kids all enjoyed their hay ride and I'm sure they all made quite an impression parading through the neighborhood all lit up.
  • MH81, jpackard56, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Nice job with the wiring! Sure does look nice all lit up. Not to mention that the massey herself looks in great shape :thumbs:
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:20 PM

It really did look nice. I only got to drive it lit up empty at around 10:00 pm after my class was over. Sure is an odd feeling tooling down the road with a garden tractor at that time of night.

Edited by HowardsMF155, November 12, 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:23 PM

What a neat job. Somebody was lucky to drive that Massey!

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Looks like they were enjoying riding in the trailer. Great idea and execution!

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:01 PM

As they say in the infomercials----"But Wait! There's More!"

I finally had a stretch of nice weather and my little helpers were going to be available on a week day, so I arranged for about 8000 lbs of "#6" gravel to be delivered to our farm up in Virginia. The " If everything goes wrong" plan was to use the Massey to pull a trailer, use the Gravely with a scoop to load and perhaps unload the trailer, and move all that gravel by ourselves from a dump point near the road down to where we needed it. We had about 6 days straight of no rain, so I thought things would probably work in our favor. We got up at "Pre-dark thirty" so we could leave here at 5:00, because I wanted to make sure we were waiting for the gravel hauler. We arrived just after 7:30, quickly unloaded the tractors and unhooked the trailer and went back to the road by 7:50, and the truck had arrived! The driver was quite personable, and agreed to walk the road with us to see exactly what I needed. He satisfied himself as to the condition of the road and the location of our turn-around point, and then proceeded to drive right down our road and spread the gravel pretty much where it needed to go. I was quite happy, because this meant all I needed to do was grade the gravel out a bit and fill in some low spots and be done! I felt he had gone the extra mile for me, so I gave him a tip. We spread gravel as required, then were able to cut some firewood and stack it in preparation for our upcoming camping trip. Here are the photos!
1112121721.jpg 1112121720.jpg
Here is how I loaded everything. The Gravely has a 'knuckle' which the blade attaches to. In order for all the wheels to fit, I slid the knuckle under the tractor hitch, then dropped a bolt through so that things couldn't slide around. The rest of the attachments are in the back of the truck, as I was concerned about too much weight on the trailer. The trailer was TOO balanced, as I could easily lift the ball hitch up and down, but I couldn't move the weight any further forward and I didn't want to add weight.
Ready to work.jpg
Tractors running and ready to roll. The dump truck had done his thing and now we have to do ours.
Nolan. push gravel.jpg
This is a small area where water running down a long hill has washed out a pretty severe gully. Even the dump truck lurched to one side when it fell in. He dumped gravel here, then we pushed it off the road into the worst of the trench.
1112121306.jpg
Here is our "Soggy Bottom", the area where ruts have been holding water. There has been stone added in this area before, but it has been pushed down. I managed to drain it, but still want to cut a deep ditch along the road on the left of the photo, but not today.

I really enjoyed using the Massey today. Between the ATV tires and the extra liquid ballast plus 25 lb wheel weights, this tractor performed in an amazing fashion. Several of the grades on this road are quite steep, yet the tractor pulled a 4x8 trailer with both firewood and a Gravely loaded without slipping a bit. The motor bellowed and snorted a few times when the hills got steep, but the varidrive made it easy to change speed, and it rarely took much gearing down to get the motor happy. Downhills had to be monitored, because the engine would really overspeed if I left the tractor in too high a gear, so again the varidrive was a real asset.

Edited by HowardsMF155, November 12, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

• KennyP and Farmlife have said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:11 PM

What a neat job. Somebody was lucky to drive that Massey!

Yes, they were. I really struggled over whether to go to class or not that night. It was made even harder because my previous class was canceled 'Due to Illness'.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:09 AM

every bit of it looks like a ton of fun to me. From the church to camp...what perfect chances to really work all the equipment. Thanks!!

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Looks like a great day spreading gravel. Glad you got the driver to spread it where it was needed.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Sorry to hear you had to farm out the driving, but :thumbs: on a full day with the helpers and the tractors.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.