#16 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:46 PM

There were two different 316's

The first 316 was the same basic machine as the 300 and it was only made for one year in 1978.

From WFM:

Capable of using many of the same attachments as the JD 140, the 300 series of John Deere garden tractors began production with the 1975 model year. In that year, the hydrostatic model 300 was introduced, replacing the John Deere 140 and its seven-year production run. Although it shared many components from the 140, the 300 was upgraded to a 16HP Kohler K-series engine and had numerous styling changes. Major changes included a more squared off hood with integral headlights, engine side panels and a black plastic instrument panel. Realizing the liability of mounting a metal gas tank under the hood next to the battery, the model 300 had a plastic gas tank relocated under the rear fender pan with an increased capacity of 4.5 gallons. The John Deere 300 came equipped standard with a two-spool hydraulic lift system, a departure from the single or three-spool system available on the model 140. The charge pump and differential were largely unchanged from the 140, with the charge pump being manufactured by Sundstrand and the differential assembly by Dana. Individual rear wheel brakes also came standard on the model 300. Notably absent on the left side of the tractor was the clutch disconnect/ neutral return pedal found on the model 140. Identical to the model 300, the model 316 (Kohler powered) was manufactured during 1978 only. This particular model is often confused with the later series model 316, which was produced from 1984-1992. Being distinctly different tractors, there are few similarities between the early and late versions of the model 316. Manufactured briefly from 1977 to 1978, the model 312 provided a basic, no frills 300 series tractor with 12 HP Kohler engine, no engine side panels, no ammeter, H1 hydraulics, narrower rear tires, and a single brake pedal for both rear wheels. Headlights were an option on the 312.

The later 316 was powered by the same Onan as the 318.

In 1984, the 318 was joined by its little brother the 316. Basically the same tractor as the 318, but without power steering and having only 1 spool of hydraulics. In 1986 the 330 joined the team, Deere’s first diesel powered Lawn and Garden tractor. And in 1988, the 330 was replaced by the 332, a diesel and the 322 was added with a 3 cylinder gasoline engine. The 330, 332, and 322 were all liquid cooled and the engines were sourced from Yanmar, the supplier of John Deere’s compact tractor line since 1979.

Edited by Trav1s, November 12, 2012 - 10:47 PM.

• dave8338 said thank you

#17 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:25 PM

I agree this could have alot of potential. Is it bad that when I first saw the ad I was thinking scam?

Not "bad" , but it is sad that we have been driven to becoming such pessimist and opportunist that when we read an ad like this one our first thoughts are "Scam" or "Great buy".
I'm not meaning to busy anyone's chops, no judgements on anyone, only on the state of thinking this world has come to.

Too bad all of our instincts weren't like Rats to feel compassion for these folks and help our neighbors.

May the Lord be with them in there time of need, for they truly are in need! Either they need his blessing in this time of suffering, or they need his heart on theirs to stop their scamming ways!
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#18 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 03:43 PM

I sent them an email last night requesting them to call me. There is no phone number listed in the add, so at this point, the ball is in their court. On the bright side, the add is still up.

We'll see

#19 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:57 PM

There were two different 316's

The first 316 was the same basic machine as the 300 and it was only made for one year in 1978.

From WFM:

The later 316 was powered by the same Onan as the 318.

Travis, THANKS for all the details. I have a phone number (I emailed and she replied) and will give her a call as soon as I'm off work, tonight. Not sure of anything until I find out some more details. I was told that there is a mower deck for an additional
$300.00 but if I were to buy this unit, I would have to work a deal on the whole package. Any known issues with the Kohler engine other than a rod letting loose?

#20 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 08:44 PM

They don't loose a rod any quicker than anything else.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#21 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 55 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I think they are really pushing it selling the deck for extra money.I too thought it was a scam with the "head injury" but thought if the money was right it would be worth a risk.If you have to pay $800 with the mower deck in unknown non running condition there is no way I would buy it.If they are in bad shape due to his injury why would they try to bleed every nickel out of it that way.Does he have something else to put the mower deck on?If so I guess his memory is not so bad he can't install a mower deck?Why then can't he put a fender pan and a couple other parts back on?I felt guilty for feeling like I did till I read on and now ants another $300 for the deck.Stinks if you ask me.

AJ

#22 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:32 PM

I will admit to NOT having called yet. Just something about the whole situation that I'm not getting good vibes about. Husband so disabled now, that he can't speak on the phone? Just don't know. Maybe if it is still there in a week or two however, it took all I could do just to get everything in the garage last night. One more and I'll have things sitting outside and in MN, that gets hard on the little machines.

We'll see... I usually go with my gut feeling and my gut is telling me to pass on this.

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think they are really pushing it selling the deck for extra money.
AJ

medical bills?

#24 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:41 PM

medical bills?

That would be my guess.

#25 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 55 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Medical bills may very well be the reason.Still,why not just offer it as one deal/price?
Sounds like they had nibble on the hook then decided to throw a curve,"oh yeah the deck is extra".
I would go check it out but keep an open mind and eyelids.
It still stinks to me.

AJ

#26 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Medical bills may very well be the reason.Still,why not just offer it as one deal/price?
Sounds like they had nibble on the hook then decided to throw a curve,"oh yeah the deck is extra".
I would go check it out but keep an open mind and eyelids.
It still stinks to me.

AJ

I may just do that. Have to see what Sunday brings.