Does Fred know you stole his tranny?

Not yet!  :bigrofl:

#32 Robert Webb ONLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Well if everything goes according to plan, I am going to be looking at building a 2 bottom to use this year!  I have a couple of ideas on how to build it so we shall see what happens.............need to find a couple of Brinly 10" plows.....maybe even a third one.

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well if everything goes according to plan, I am going to be looking at building a 2 bottom to use this year!  I have a couple of ideas on how to build it so we shall see what happens.............need to find a couple of Brinly 10" plows.....maybe even a third one.

A 3rd one!!!   You better weight down that 430 REAL good!  You better start eating a lot of snack products (for belly ballast)if you know where you can lay your hands on some!

#34 Robert Webb ONLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:55 PM

430????????  I cant afford one of those..................lol

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:20 PM

430????????  I cant afford one of those..................lol

JD400 then?  I have trouble remembering.  I guess you're on Drew's 430 in this pic then?

webb.JPG

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have a question about plows. I have a Sears 3-point plow, 8", 917.253010. If I could find another 8" plow, do you think this would make a good 2 bottom for the Ford or FF20? I'm not beyond modifying it. if you all think it would work.

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have a question about plows. I have a Sears 3-point plow, 8", 917.253010. If I could find another 8" plow, do you think this would make a good 2 bottom for the Ford or FF20? I'm not beyond modifying it. if you all think it would work.

It will pull the twin 8's with ease and the Sears 8" plows are built plenty stout.  I say go for it!  :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#38 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Down side is that a moldboard is supposed to run half as deep as it is wide.  So, in theory, an 8 should run 4 deep, a ten should run 5, and a 12 should run 6.  Anybody ever been able to put a full size 14 on one of these powerful little garden tractors?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Down side is that a moldboard is supposed to run half as deep as it is wide.  So, in theory, an 8 should run 4 deep, a ten should run 5, and a 12 should run 6.  Anybody ever been able to put a full size 14 on one of these powerful little garden tractors?

Yes, so the FF may pull three 8" plows with ease.  As to the 14", I've not seen it done, but would like to attempt it!  Likely I never will though....money & time constraints.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:04 AM

It will pull the twin 8's with ease and the Sears 8" plows are built plenty stout.  I say go for it!  :thumbs:

Guess I'm on the hunt for another 8" plow then. I'll probably need one of your wheels to put on the back, too. But that will have to wait a bit. I have a line on another FF20, without an engine. But it has the deck and 3-point on it.

#41 Robert Webb ONLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Daniel..........that was definitely Drew's 430....lol  Seems like every plow day we go to, we always seem to play tractor swap.  lol

I saw a 6 bottom "Flip plow" while I was at my aunts house a few weeks ago and spent about an hour out there taking pictures and writing down dimensions.  It is a very simple design that I have been thinking about trying to duplicate but leaving out the "flip" part.  Dont think my 400 would handle a 6 bottom but I think the way that one was made, I could mount 3 10" plows and make it work.  It would be relatively simple to narrow up the "bite" on the plows if I couldnt plow a full 10" with each plow.  Even if I had to adjust it down to only cutting 24" wide, you have to admit a three bottom behind a garden tractor would look cool!

Just in the "planning" stages at the moment...........

• KennyP said thank you

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Daniel..........that was definitely Drew's 430....lol  Seems like every plow day we go to, we always seem to play tractor swap.  lol

I saw a 6 bottom "Flip plow" while I was at my aunts house a few weeks ago and spent about an hour out there taking pictures and writing down dimensions.  It is a very simple design that I have been thinking about trying to duplicate but leaving out the "flip" part.  Dont think my 400 would handle a 6 bottom but I think the way that one was made, I could mount 3 10" plows and make it work.  It would be relatively simple to narrow up the "bite" on the plows if I couldnt plow a full 10" with each plow.  Even if I had to adjust it down to only cutting 24" wide, you have to admit a three bottom behind a garden tractor would look cool!

Just in the "planning" stages at the moment...........

Robert, I'm thinking about a 2-bottom setup for mine. And I've never plowed before!

• twostep said thank you

#43 Robert Webb ONLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:56 PM

as long as you have the weight and HP under the hood, you should be fine.  There is a guy from Ohio that brought his down to Alabama a year or so ago and several of the guys had a chance to pull his 2 bottom 12" plow.  One of the guys pulled it with a 20HP Magnum powered 318 but it was all that machine wanted.  Several of the guys with 430s pulled it just fine.

I have several implements in mind for mine..................if for nothing else but just to say "I have one of those for my GT".....lol

• boyscout862 said thank you

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I will probably only have 8" plows to start with. If that works good, I may try a 3-bottom! I have a 20 HP FF to pull it with.

#45 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:07 PM

And I've never plowed before!

Go big or stay home! I like you way of thinking Kenny!