#16 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Daniel..........I am going to replace the Share on my 12" plow because there is almost an inch and half worn off........if you want it........it is yours.!

Robert, where are you ordering yours from?

#17 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Can you spell "r-e-p-a-i-r w-h-a-t y-o-u h-a-v-e"? If I ever need one, then I'll weld mine if it's broken, or build it up if it's worn.

As Daniel said, repair it! There are alot of members with welders sitting collecting dust because they bought one and have not mastered the techniques of using it properly. Build up is great practice. Ask ?'s and get yourself the skills needed to do larger and more fun projects. We have a great wealth of knowledge here,so fix em! Shawn

#18 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:08 AM

As Daniel said, repair it! There are alot of members with welders sitting collecting dust because they bought one and have not mastered the techniques of using it properly. Build up is great practice. Ask ?'s and get yourself the skills needed to do larger and more fun projects. We have a great wealth of knowledge here,so fix em! Shawn

I am a decent welder, definetly not an expert, but could you explain how to go about building up the plow.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:50 AM

I am a decent welder, definetly not an expert, but could you explain how to go about building up the plow.

I am by no means an expert, so I can only tell you how I do it. If it is just worn thin, you can lay beads together of a high carbon rod, like 7018 until built up enough, then grind smooth. If the tip is worn back, you can do the same. One can lay some beads of "hardfacing" rod on the highest wear points, as it is extremely wear resistant, BUT hardfacing is almost impossible to grind down....it's that hard! So running smooth beads with it is very important. In the case of a broken tip, I get a piece of similar metal & just weld a new tip onto the old, and reinforce it on the underside of the joint with a strap of steel.
Pro welders please point out anything I am doing wrong so my way doesn't lead people the wrong direction. I will say that I've never had a failure so far.
  • tractorgarden and countryboy88 have said thanks

#20 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:56 AM

But, if you're like me, and have very little experience welding, and dont even have a welder or access to one, then buying and replacing would be the next best thing.

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:58 AM

But, if you're like me, and have very little experience welding, and dont even have a welder or access to one, then buying and replacing would be the next best thing.

I bet you have a friend or 2 with a welder that you could trade out some work or something and get it built up. Just a thought..
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#22 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:22 AM

I would suggest taking the time to gain the experience. You will be glad you did. It is always good to learn new skills. With the use of the internet you have many people to help you learn for free. Just ask, Have a great day ,Shawn

#23 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:52 PM

David, I priced the 12" shares at JDPARTS.com and they are 37 bucks and change. I am going to order two, because I know they will go up again before I need another one.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:06 PM

David, I priced the 12" shares at JDPARTS.com and they are 37 bucks and change. I am going to order two, because I know they will go up again before I need another one.

Robert, just wondering what with how much some of you guys plow, just how long does it take for you to wear out a share, or a moldboard?

#25 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Daniel.......I have been using that plow for about a year now.......4-5 plow days and I know the share is worn out but didnt realize just how worn out until I compared it to my other plow that has only been used one plow day. I heard Drew talking at the last plow day in Guntersville that he had already worn his share out in less than a year. I am going to replace mine and measure it after each plow day event to see what kind of wear I am getting. I would say that it has a LOT to do with the soil that you are plowing. Down here in Alabama, (North Alabama) is a very sandy type soil and I am sure that is VERY abrasive.

Edited by Robert Webb, December 23, 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#26 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 11:56 AM

that is very interesting, i would have thought they would last years. but i have only been to one plow day too.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Robert, sounds like laying some "hard surface" weld on the highest wear points would be a great idea soon after the share begins to wear a little.  I may do just that & see how it holds up.

#28 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Daniel..........I was thinking the other day ( I know, a dangerous situation) but since you already have a two bottom plow.  You could put a NEW share on one plow and one of your "built up ones" on the other plow and keep comparing the wear since you know that both shares would be getting the same amount of use in the same type soil.

Just a thought..................

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Robert, I broke the 2 bottom apart a while back.  Once I get my diesel Bush Hog tractor dialed in, I may put them back together.  Not sure when I'll get the JB dialed in though.  Going to put a complete new hydro system under it.  One with Hi/Lo range, and turning brakes....same system as under the 430's.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Robert, I broke the 2 bottom apart a while back.  Once I get my diesel Bush Hog tractor dialed in, I may put them back together.  Not sure when I'll get the JB dialed in though.  Going to put a complete new hydro system under it.  One with Hi/Lo range, and turning brakes....same system as under the 430's.

Does Fred know you stole his tranny?