Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Pvc Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I built a water tower a couple of years ago. I affectionately call it the hillbilly water tower. Anyway, the completion of the water tower was part one of what I wanted to accomplish. The second half (a portable water buggy) is in process and I hope to have it done for next growing season. The idea here is to pull the water buggy behind the tractor to transport water up to the garden when needed. Pretty simple, even for me. Here's my question regarding PVC. I want to build a swivel pipe to attach to the water tower that will enable me to drive up beside the tank with the water buggy, park, swivel the pipe over to the fill hole in the buggy, fill up, swing the pipe back and go on my way. Do they make a swivel joint for PVC that would allow me to do this without leaking? I've never seen anything like that and I just wondered. My plan B is to attach a garden hose and go that route which would be fine but I wanted to see if they made any such joint. Anyone know of one? This would be for 2" pipe. Thanks.

#2 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:06 PM

These are irrigation swing joints: http://www.lascofitt...intOverview.asp and they are designed to handle some movement but will leak if moved too often. Most reliable set up would likely be the simplest so your water doesn't leak out. Just a valve and a piece of hose would be my choice.
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yeah that's kind of what I thought. Guess I better gear toward the hose and forget about it. Thanks.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:22 PM

This is an idea rumbling around in my head as well. My thought was to use one of the 12 volt electric pumps sold in farm supply stores for sprayers. Gravity feed could be simpler, but getting a tank high enough to use gravity feed could make for a top heavy and possibly dangerous water wagon?

If you have pictures of your tower I would like to see it. Knowing your set up might make it easier to come up with some ideas?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 12, 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Here's a quick picture that was taken right after I got it built. Right now I have a 55 gallon drum on the three point of the tractor that I can just back under the pipe to give you some idea of height. The buggy will be on wheels and the 55 gallon drum will be on its side. Very low center of gravity. I will have a 12 volt pump on the top and the wand will have a switch that I can turn on and off as needed.

Tower 2.JPG

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Looks like you can gravity feed into the drum from that tank. And my thought for my application was to do the same thing from my eves troughs on the house. Then set Tanks up just like yours at the head of the garden for gravity feed drip irrigation and transfer
from the house tanks by water wagon. That was where I intended to use a pump from the wagon to fill the garden tanks.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:06 PM

I like the sounds of what you have planned but it wouldn't work for me. My garden is actually in the front yard (further from the woods and less animals) and we won't want the tanks lined up out front. Nobody sees my tank where I have it. You've given me an idea for if we ever move the garden to the back yard though.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yeah in the front yard would be a problem. As it stands I like the tank you used and was wanting two for the eves drops off the house. As it stands I would have to plant shrubs to hide the tank in front. My gardens are in the back and the hill slopes away so I could use gravity from the tanks. There are pictures of my gardens in the Garden section if your interested in how they are set up now. The Drought and being on county water are prompting me to look for solutions for recaliming water.
http://gardentractor...ant-cover-crop/

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 12, 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yep, I see where you're coming from with your set up. Should work well!

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Maybe a peice of that 1 1/2" fexible sump pump discharge hose would make filling your water wagon quicker then a garden hose . I use a garden hose on mine but I'm not trying to fill 55gl like you are at one shot . Al

#11 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:25 PM

I am building the same thing only useing a 55gal drum for the water tower and for the buggy. (they were both brand new and free so why not) I decided to go with hose when I came up with the idea because it never occured to me about the PVC, guess I have my answer......

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image What do you think about affixing a PVC union in the line....It will "swivel", and it won't take much to hand tighten it so it doesn't leak.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image What do you think about affixing a PVC union in the line....It will "swivel", and it won't take much to hand tighten it so it doesn't leak.

Well that's a thought. This would swivel up and down which is not what I'm looking for but, a little bit of piping could make it swivel side to side. Hmmm, I have all winter to think about this but this is a good viable option. Thanks.

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't know if they make "Shark Bite" connectors that large, but they have quite a bit of swivel capabilities. Don't know how long it'd hold up, but with no high pressure, I'd think quite a while.