23 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Good to hear it is under control! After Indianapolis yesterday it's easy to think the worst and glad it was not two in a row.

The Hedlines in Des moines this morning was "Icy Mess" waterline broke on 2nd avenue and with morning temps in the teens it froze. Funny because Saturday I spent most of the day on my Ford in shirt sleeves with temps in the 70's.Yesterday we got a lot of rain and temps in the 30's, even saw some sleet.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Glad to hear nothing worse then an evacuation happened. We have breaks all the time in Atlanta but most of the time it is a construction crew that hit the line.

LD; "Anything man made the question is not if it will fail, but when it will fail."
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Natural gas was piped into this area in approx 1960. Seems like yesterday however it was 50 Plus years ago. I would suspect that most of the United States have gas mains that old or older, When you think about it some the tractors that we enjoy tinkering with are of that era also.

My point is our Gas pipelines are getting some age on them so it's not surprising that they get a leak in them once in awhile.
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Some of those lines could be much older . My Uncle worked for the gas company in Oskaloosa, Ia from the time he got out of the Army after WWII to his retirement. Long before the Natural Gas was piped into Iowa, the City had a Methane Gas generation plant(Many cities did).
When Natural Gas became available and cheaper it was ran into the same lines. So there is no telling how old those gas lines were?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 12, 2012 - 02:46 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Here's a article from my area from a few years ago , the line the blew was 80 years old but they said some are 120 years old :(
http://www.wfmz.com/...kz/-/index.html

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:52 PM

It's usually not a weld that breaks, just the line is deteriorated over the years. That and ground moving around them from the drought.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Curious about how old they could be I found an interesting read. http://www.lovell-la...l-gas-pipelines
But as I said earlier they were generating gas way before that and lines could be older.
I do know that George W. Parsons from right here in Newton built the first Ladder Trencher in 1903-1904 for instillation of sewers and pipelines.

#23 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Wow. Glad they got it shot off with no explosions. When I saw the post I was a little afraid that some genius would light a match to see where it was.

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Wow. Glad they got it shot off with no explosions. When I saw the post I was a little afraid that some genius would light a match to see where it was.

I was more worried about all those diesel Fire Engines sucking that gas in. Not good on them! Or a car driving by setting it off!