11 replies to this topic

#1 KBear OFFLINE  

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Okay, recently I've been giving some thought to purchasing a new John Deere D170 as a dedicated lawnmower tractor. I've read about the rear trans on these 100 series tractors not being all that good and not lasting. Any thoughts you guys may have on this series machines? Anyone have expereince with the 100 Series tractors that are willing to express here. You can sure send me a PM if you would rather. Not sure I want to step up to the X300 series with all wheel steer because that's getting pretty big in size for the tractor I would need.

Also, I know John Deere is having their Green Days Sales going on now but when would you guys say the best time is to purchase a LGT from a dealer? I wouldn't think the Spring would be a good time to purchase a new LGT from a dealer. Thoughts?

#2 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:59 AM

My simple advice is to buy as much tractor as you can $afford$. The higher the series the better the parts/components which usually means better working and longer lasting tractor. Tractors designed to be sold by box stores are designed to appeal to box store buyers looking only at the bottom dollar. They deliver the life and service worth represented by what they cost.

As to the X300 "size" being to big...? Would you mean "dimensionally" like won't fit in the shed or big as to price tag? You can always use a bigger tractor for smaller jobs, but a smaller tractor won't do so well on bigger jobs they're not designed for and be expected to last. (Especially so for lower priced tractor transmissions.)

Edited by HydroHarold, November 12, 2012 - 01:01 AM.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:05 AM

When is the best time to buy? When you need it.
Having been in auto sales, I was asked that question everyday. With rebates, bonus cash, loyalty, trade assistance or what ever they want to call it- it will be on "SALE." That being said I bought my John Deere X320 in March of this year. I did watch prices before and after and I did OK.

In my opinion spend a little more for the X series and get a lot more tractor.

#4 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:45 AM

I advise you go to an X series as well. More for your money. Why not used though? You can get say a GT235 or a 345 or a GX345 or maybe a older 318.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:23 AM

As said above don't overlook a well maintained used garden tractor as an alternative. Unless you like to repair and rebuild an older GT I would recommend one of the newer JD's like the GT series or even the GX as mentioned above. Way more tractor than the D series. You can get very nice ones up here for the 2000 to 2500$ range and our prices tend to run high. A GX345 for instance will get you a solid GT with hydraulic lift, liquid cooled engine and power steering. If you get a chance try one out.
The LX series is a good choice if you need a mower only and never want to do any GT work. They are the older equivalent to the x300 series being the deluxe LT with stronger transmission, frame etc than the LT and L models.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:33 AM

I have an LA 105 (same as a D100, basically) that's done some pretty serious duty. Only one problem and that wasn't the machine's fault.

My BIL bought a D130 this summer and has had no trouble mowing his 2-3 acres. He loves it. Not sure what he paid, but he managed to get a pretty sweet little lawn cart as part of the deal.

They are decent mowers for relatively even ground and established lawn. The important thing to remember is that they are mowers that will do some light towing. They aren't tractors.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,633 Thanks
  • 8,518 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have an L110 that was given to me. This tractor was not well maintained and sat out in the weather most of it's life but all I had to do to get it running is charge the battery and off we went. The deck was another story, the spindles were shot bearings and casing's were gone so I ended up rebuilding the deck with new spindles, blades etc.

As previously said get what you can afford and if you do decide on the D100 go over the tractor from front to end and make sure it has been set up and lubricated correctly. As I have gotten the L100 ready to sell I have found several areas that indicated that they had never received the proper lubrication even at setup.

#8 Guest_rat88_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:54 PM

If this is going to be strictly a lawn mower, why not buy a "lawn mower" Zero turns do a much better and quicker job of mowing. You can still use them for pulling carts and pushing snow. A tool designed to do a specific job will do it better, but a crescent wrench makes a pretty good hammer in a pinch.

#9 KBear OFFLINE  

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thank you all for your input. With your advice I think I'm leaning towards a X300 series. We'll see what happens in the near future. I'll post what I finally purchase. Thanks again.

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13665
  • 549 Thanks
  • 527 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Good plan Kenneth, but I still highly suggest looking at the older 300 and 200 series JD's. They were built far better back then, a true garden tractor, shaft drive to the hydrostatic pump on the 300 series and side belt drive to the cast iron gear drive transmission in the 200 series, fiberglass hoods with metal side panels, not all plastic, easliy broken and expensive to replace. Engines are side shaft or horizontal shaft, Onan twins in the 316 and 318, Kohler cast iron single side shaft in the 200 series back then. There was a 316 on the local radio call in show today for $800 in excellent shape. A 318 can be had for less than a x300 I believe, and its hydro static drive, hyd lift and the ablity for power angle on the optional snow blade. It can have a cat 0 three point hitch on the rear for implements as well. Much more tractor for the money. They can be easily repowered if the engine goes bad or there are sources for rebuilt Onans that I know of. IMHO, a 318 or even a 214/216 will work circles around that x300 series. But get what your comfortable getting and spending. As long as your happy, thats all the matters. Not sure if the x300 has the better hydro rear end or not. Others will chime in on that. Mike

#11 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Another thing is resale value. A good shape 345 with deck can fetch $3K. So that may be something. A D-series won't be worth much down the road. Used yet newer GT's seem to be a popular choice.

#12 ajcan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10208
  • 55 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:39 AM

I shopped pretty heavily for my GX345.I used machinefinder.com among others.Your avatar doesn't say where you live but in certain places the GX345 can be had as little as $2400 and as high as $4500.I got mine in Virginia for $2800.It has 300 plus hours and is a 2005 which comes with differential lock.
Not sure what and X300 runs but I bet more than $2800.The X300 has an inferior transmission as well.I think you have to step up to the X320 or higher for the better transmission.Google the model you want and the transmission type.If it has a cheap transmission there should be a handful of threads trashing it.
I recomend the GX345 BY FAR over the X300 and a box store.More tractor than you need?Maybe but it will still be going 10-15 years from now.The X500 series was the replacement for the GX345.
Here is mine to give you an idea what it looks like.Do some homework and bet you can find a good deal.Liquid cooled Kawasaki,traction control,hydraulic lift and power steering.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00007.JPG
  • DSC00049.JPG
  • DSC00048.JPG