• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Casey you should be getting the carb in the mail any day now. But I was just thinking, does that have the correct float in it? I wasn't sure if this was something you just got and tried to get running.

Is the float in your carb the one with the round bottom? if not it is wrong.

I was just thinking and there isn't to many things that would cause this.Most common are Float with a hole,stuck needle,gasket missing from needle seat. then less common needle seat cracked or carb body has a crack.

You could always throw the old one in the box I shipped the other carb in and send it to me. Then I could check it out for you.

Or you could just save it and keep it as spare parts. In any case good luck!
  • wvbuzzmaster and HDWildBill have said thanks

#17 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know you are getting a replacement carb, but a couple other things to check that are less common.....

Check the play in the float hinge. If the carb sits canted a little, and the float can waddle around, it may be rubbing on something or hanging on a burr or wear marks. Same thing with the flat on the float where it touches the valve - look for burrs and stuff to hang up.

VIP to do the check of the valve seating as someone told you - sometimes you can get some varnish or crud on the seat lip so the float valve doesnt seal. Looks fine and moves ok, but still leaks.

Check carb bowl and body for cracks or corrosion that could be leaking fuel.

Finally, you really cant beat pulling the carb, disassembling it and SOAKING it in carb cleaner - one of the gallon can ones that you drop the carb in - not the spray stuff. For really bad ones, I soak it, then use the spray carb cleaner can and compressed air, then soak it again. Ben able to resurect some real bad ones that way...

Good luck! If you can get the original fixed, you have a spare.....

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I checked a bunch of things and when I have it running with the carb Chris is sending (didn't see it today, so mabey tomorrow). I will tear down the old carb and dunk it in the carb cleaner (I have the gallon can of it). My float is good according to all my tests and the hinge point seems good. However, if I can find a new float for it I will replace, cause that dent concerns me a little bit. Not sure what is going on with the carb but I will be inspecting it with a fine tooth comb. I would love to use the original carb if possible. But at this point I would be happy to use it at all lol.

#19 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:39 PM

For some reason I find a lot of crushed floats on Tecumseh powered snowblowers but not the ones with B&S engines. I believe it is due to water in the fuel settling in the bowl, freezing and crushing the thin brass floats. Don't know why only the Tecumsehs though,.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Every Tecumseh I ever had had water getting through the carb into the crankcase. Their air breather system sucks.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Quick little update. The carb Chris sent me was a no show today, so I got impatient and pulled my original carb, tore it down, and dunked it in carb cleaner. I have since reassembled it making certain all parts were tight along the way. Decided to stick with using a float needle with a neoprene tip when reassembling. Had to replace the air/fuel mixture needle with a late model N needle due to the bend in the threaded part. I then reinstalled it right as the dark overtook the light. I have both needles set at 1-1/2 turns and I am so far able to keep the fuel on, I am just fighting to make it run and keep it running now. I am hoping the problem is misadjusted carb, which is one thing you just cant get right when you are in zero light conditions lol. Meanwhile somewhere out there is a carb lol. If I can not make my carb work I will be removing it for the third and last time. I will update tomorrow as the goal will be to get it tuned in... Still not sure if I am 100% problem solved, because I don't know what the cause was to begin with....

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I guess shipping it Priority mail was not much of a Priority for the Post office! Sorry Casey! I thought for sure you would have it before the weekend. :boo_hoo:
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:26 PM

I thought that I would have it for this weekend too, and was certain of it. I was kinda irritated that I did not get it in 5 days ....

So I just took a shot and decided I would clean the carb and re-assemble it. So far I think I am making progress on the carb, and think I will get it all tuned up tomorrow (unless I have a bigger carb issue).

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Back so square one.... carb allows engine to flood... again!!! I hate internal combustion engines.... And last night when I bolted it on there.... it was working fine, just not adjusted right, what is happening!!

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Just back from swapping needle seat and still no luck with the thing. I adjusted the float again and everything... And then.. on top of that I learned about spark and I wasn't even touching the plug and got shocked from about an inch out! That is the worst spark shock I have ever gotten, my hand went numb for a few seconds and my whole arm was tingling. Not to mention my adrenaline skyrocketed...

I am getting pretty disgusted with that carb right now... only other thing I could think of would be an internal crack if water had gotten in it and froze.... which I can't see.... I dunno.... I guess I am waiting on the carb Chris sent to arrive... meanwhile I smell like gasoline again from this project...

#26 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sorry to here the troubles you are having Casey! All I know at this point is if the carb that I am sending you leaks gas, then I am gona hide :biting_nails:

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I hope to have that carb in my hands tomorrow, so you best have it all tuned in when it gets bolted on lol. However, if it is not working any better than the first carb, than I will be starting two new threads.

1. He used to live in Rhode Island!

2. Springfield walk behind LP conversion

#28 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:33 PM

LOL!!! I don't see why you won't get it tomorrow, I mailed it Tuesday (Monday was the Holiday).

Just remember to take the rag out of the fuel bowl first lol.

If there are any problems after you put my carb on post your results as soon as you can! That way I will know if I should head for the hills or not. Be right back, I am going to pack a bag just incase! :D

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:44 PM

I will be working on it tomorrow evening I hope and posting results. I sure hope your carb works....

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well, I have installed the carb that Chris sent and started it up, no issues, and it seems to be running as a normal engine should, just need to tune in the carb as I tampered with the settings (didn't think to back off the idle screw at first duh lol). Also need to change the engine oil to be certain it isn't contaminated. Anyway, Chris can continue to live in Rhode Island and I did learn why he only posts his last initial. Chris is a nice guy and doesn't want to irritate everyone that tries to pronounce his last name. :bigrofl:
  • chris m said thank you