wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am nearing insanity on this one... I have a 2-3 Hp Clinton engine, roughly 1955 vintage. It has a Carter model N carburetor and the gas tank sits above the engine. No sooner do I turn on the gas do I hear the gas trickling into the cylinder... and it won't stop until i turn off the gas. So I pull it until it quits throwing gas out the currently straight piped exhaust and then it starts and runs nice. However, if I turn the fuel on more than a trickle it WILL FLOOD out almost immediately. So I pulled the carb and replaced the float needle with a like new one out of another Carter N carb (late model), adjusted the float, it didn't seem to have any real float issues, other then a dent (minor in my opinion). The float bowl is of the dome variety. The float needle is a square sided as opposed to triangle sided. So I tried the carb out again today and ran carb cleaner, had it running several minutes while manually controlling both throttle and fuel shut off... It runs great, but it still won't keep the fuel back. I am starting to get irritated, short of pulling the carb and rebuilding it (which all the kits I can find DO NOT have the screw adjuster needles or even a float and will cost 30 bucks with shipping, which is too much in my book. Anyone able to help me on this??

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 11, 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:09 PM

I know absolutely nothing about Carter N type carbs, but I do know that floats, needles and seats work together. If the float isn't leaking, and the needle is good, look at the seat.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:47 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352670336.341485.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352670363.989368.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352670394.480517.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352670440.763764.jpg

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:48 PM

First take the float off and shake the float to see if it sounds like there is gas inside of it. If it has gas in it replace the float.

If not leave the bowl off the carb, hook up the gas line, hold the carb in its normal orientation, push up on the float, turn on the gas and see where the fuel is coming from if it is leaking. Perhaps it is the wrong needle or the gasket between the inlet and the carb body is cracked.

Attached Thumbnails

• cartcarb.jpg

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 11, 2012 - 04:50 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Casey I don't see a fuel filter, is there a screen in the tank?
Maybe small particles of rust, dirt are getting into the float valve and causing you problems. ???

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Doug, great observation, however, I am one step ahead of you. it used to have a sediment bowl but I had to take it off and set it aside due to a previous owners idea of tank sealing the tank and uh, ya, the sediment bowl assembly... Therefore I have swapped out the troublesome sediment bowl with one of these screened shut off valves.
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649
Also, the fuel line is brand new and I shook the tank with pea gravel and an afterwash of gasoline before reinstalling it.

The inside of the carb looked decent. Short of tearing it down and dunking it in carb cleaner I thought I would try swapping needles. Especially since I can't locate a kit for the carb that includes float and or the adjustment needles......

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Casey I have that same carb out in the shop, I'll go out and check it out. I bought it on Ebay not long ago as a spare for one of my Clinton engines. If it checks out ok you can have it. I will go out right now, be back on soon.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Casey I had a carb do about the same thing a while back. It ended up being the float. It had a small hole in it and was allowing gas to get in. Did you shake the float like Bill suggested? Put the float in a can of gas and leave it for 24hr's and see if it is still floating. Remember gas will leak where water and other liquids don't.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:44 PM

If you remove the bowel and manually work the float up and down, does it stop the fuel flow?

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:45 PM

I have had the float out but not ever on the same day I last attempted to get it to run correct. So I do now know for sure... I have some of the square bottom float bowls and could change it to the square bottom float...
Arg, guess I am going outside, be back soon.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well, just back from a few tests. The float operates manually and the needle does stop gas. Took off the float and the float shake checks out empty.... And since running with gumout the inside of the carb is shiny from what I see... and got all over me.... and the tractor. Will gumout take off paint? I have a feeling I will be doing some touch up painting when all this carb trouble is over.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:43 PM

1352676524655.jpg 1352676572530.jpg 1352676711444.jpg 1352676787048.jpg IMG_20121111_183054.jpg Sorry it took so long! I had to polish everything for the photo shoot then put it together :D Is this the same one?

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Chris, that appears to be the exact same carb as I have. Has it been test run or just polished up for the occasion?

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:58 PM

When I bought it I took it all apart and soaked it in the carb cleaner for 2 days. since then it was in a box in pieces waiting to be rebuilt.

So I just went out polished it up, added the new gaskets and set the float. The needles are like new and they are the originals( they even have arrows and the word Lean still on them). I even set the mixture screws. I don't see any issues with this one. I bet if you installed it it would start right up and not even need tweeking on the adjustments. :D Oh yea the throttle shaft is nice and tight ( no play)

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Chris, I will send you a PM in a minute.
  • chris m said thank you