• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 11:07 AM

Lovintractorin,
That exhaust is sweet. :rocker2: Fits the tractor very nicely. :thumbs:
My only concern is with the downward turn, If motor is left running while tractor is parked in one place on the lawn, the hot exhaust will kill the grass in that spot, during a dry year it possibly could catch the grass on fire, not good! Not really an issue just another thing to think about.

#17 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 12:55 PM

I like Horizontal exhaust.
masseys 043.jpg 006.JPG 008.JPG
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 01:19 PM

After looking, I think that with an IH muffler an exhaust on the '71 would be very simple to make. I could just go out of the block, down and into the muffler. I could put the muffler on the outside of the frame and pointing backwards.

On the '75 I have the heat shield and one of the grill supports that greatly restricts how far out I can go from the block before making a turn down. Right now, I have the elbow that is directing the pipe down touching the heat shield, that is why the muffler is on the inside of the frame. For this it might be easier if I do go forward with the muffler, like Doug does.

#19 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Have you seen the way that the muffler is mounted on the 1970's Wheel Horse C series? It is mounted diagonally in front of the engine from right to left and pointing downward. It doesn't interfer with the pto and is away from the operator. Ahh, but your shaft drive, aren't you?

#20 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I believe that what Ryan313 posted earlier today of his 75 is the design that is the most out of the way and quiet. His issue was that it is in the way of the forward hitch blocks. I mounted mine the same way (inside the frame) but I mounted my pipe higher than Ryan's appears to be and have probably another foot of exhaust pipe between the bend and the muffler. As a result my pipe is not in the way of items attached to the mounting blocks as the pipe, not the muffler, is in that area.
exhaust.jpg

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Someone makes an after market item for Harley motorcycles. It's an internal baffle that slips inside of a straight pipe. Has anyone tried one of those for additional silencing?

#22 sweve54 OFFLINE  

sweve54
  • Member No: 12558
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think the best, for sound anyways is to exhaust forward. Noisier for the neghbors, but quieter for the operator.
I haven't gotten that far on my 74 yet, but that is what my plan is.

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:17 PM

The other day I was at TSC and I looked at what mufflers they had. I like the exhaust they have for the 8N! I might use one of those!

#24 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:30 PM

8n exhaust is popular for PK's. The one with the pipe and 90* bend coming up to engine. Muffler can be just under frame rail or tucked up under frame on some, or even out along side. The changes are in the plumbing pipe used near engine to get it in right place. On my 85 PK Plastic King that I used older reversed engine in, there is so much room between engine and hood that I ran a 1" pipe stright down and was Inside the frame rail. Went past that, used elbow to back and right now is just pepper pot muffler on it. Could continue back with more tube instead an have muffler way back or anywhere really. Course, it's just a "Butt-Buggy", no implements gonna be on it.

#25 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Pretty high class mobility scooter. It would be fun to drive it in Walmart!!!

#26 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Stack!!!Posted Image

That is my tractor!!!! LOL I braced that stack on the bull housing(??). I never had issues with trees since I was at the same height (well, a little lower) that I was when sitting and I keep my lower limbs cut. I going to be moving mine though, because it was too loud. I noticed one hear was muffled after mowing. Looks great but my job requires good hearing. The pipe is just threaded cast iron pipe from TSC/HomeDepot and the muffler was $35 from TSC

Edited by willy1094, November 26, 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:18 PM

That is my tractor!!!! LOL I braced that stack on the bull housing(??). I never had issues with trees since I was at the same height (well, a little lower) that I was when sitting and I keep my lower limbs cut. I going to be moving mine though, because it was too loud. I noticed one hear was muffled after mowing. Looks great but my job requires good hearing. The pipe is just threaded cast iron pipe from TSC/HomeDepot and the muffler was $35 from TSC

Welcome to the site Willy! Glad to have you aboard! Last I knew the tractor was torn apart, any updates?

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:22 PM

Here's my set up. It's actually pretty quiet. Cub Cadet muffler.

Tractors 003.jpg

#29 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Welcome to the site Willy! Glad to have you aboard! Last I knew the tractor was torn apart, any updates?

I have it to a rolling frame. I ran into a few issues and trying to track down a couple oil seals. Too cold to paint so I'm stopped dead in my tracks right now. My new shed is not heated. Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by willy1094, November 26, 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have it to a rolling frame. I ran into a few issues and trying to track down a couple oil seals. Too cold to paint so I'm stopped dead in my tracks right now. My new shed is not heated. Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like you have done quite a bit since I last checked in "over there." Make sure you start a thread here as well!