16 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:18 PM

well when i started out i use to get a ton of lawn and garden tractors for free. along with many push mowers and other junk. well over the last year that supply of free tractors ran out. and i dont make much money to buy ones. anyone else having this issue

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:52 PM

It is getting tougher. one because lots were scrapped when steel was high, and now that GT tractor pulling is becoming so popular a lot more people are out searching for the old GT's.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:56 PM

It is getting tougher. one because lots were scrapped when steel was high, and now that GT tractor pulling is becoming so popular a lot more people are out searching for the old GT's.

:ditto:

I think you pretty much said it all
Also since GT's are becoming more popular and there is a demand for parts many are being torn down and parted out....
  • chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Also since GT's are becoming more popular and there is a demand for parts many are being torn down and parted out....

YUP....... so buy them while you can all! At what I am seeing locally I can't imagine what the market will be like a year from now. :boo_hoo:

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 08:12 PM

i agree...some people are asking top dollar for GT's that aren't worth it in their "current" state just because someone told em there is a huge growing collector market for them.....people instantly think that means ALL are in that ring......
  • chris m said thank you

#6 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Ya its crazy what things are going for in South Western Ontario,

I think as other hobbies become more expensive and out of reach, there just getting more popular.

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Yup there is less free stuff When i was 10 ( 7 years ago ) i had built a bicycle trailer to pick up free mowers and weed-eaters and other good stuff from people i have never meet (most of it Just needed fuel or minor work ) but now i find you only find good stuff in the spring or fall (and its not always that great also it comes from friends and family ) IMO the stuff is Still there but People put it on Cl or kijiji for a easy Buck and I will tell you that YOU CAN SELL ANY THING on there i have posted stuff (that i was going to throw out for cheap and you get 5 reply's right away and they pick it up BOOM you a few bucks richer but for free stuff you need to be in the right place at the right time ! i had a sears gt given to me because the tires were Flat but once and a while you get a @55 that would rather throw something out then give it to you As i said Right place Right time
Cheers
Ty

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Still quite q few on Craigslist around here but it seems they all run good but need a battery and tires for $300 and up. I did pick three this fall a Cub Cadet 149 that has a 10 hp Kohler in it with no deck, a John Deere 111H with deck and a JD160 with no deck. Riding toys for the grandkids if nothing else. Cheaper and safer than a four wheeler for sure.

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 10, 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:35 PM

I think as other hobbies become more expensive and out of reach, there just getting more popular.

nail on the head.

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 12:51 AM

I feel forums like this might be contributing to the "drying up". Anyone hesitant about doing a restore or buying older used has but to read posts here and might feel free to buy one. As I tell my neighbor, somebody on a tractor forum has or has had a tractor like yours that had the problem you're having or knows somebody that did and got it fixed. And on here good advice is freely given to all.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:29 AM

:ditto: :ditto:

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Around here the biggest competition is the scrappers,with the outrageously priced craigslist people coming in a close 2nd.I ran into a guy who parts out tractors at a big auction last year he stated as far as Deere gt's go he pays a $100 per series i.e. a 200 series $200 300 series $300 etc. running or not,now how is a working man enthusiast like most of us are compete with that? I'm afraid our hobby is about to get rather expensive!

Edited by pigsitter, November 11, 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Maybe, we could start rebuilding old electric razors..... or collecting phillips screwdrivers!

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:43 AM

I feel forums like this might be contributing to the "drying up". Anyone hesitant about doing a restore or buying older used has but to read posts here and might feel free to buy one. As I tell my neighbor, somebody on a tractor forum has or has had a tractor like yours that had the problem you're having or knows somebody that did and got it fixed. And on here good advice is freely given to all.

I agree with you 100%

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Around us, the combination of high scrap prices and hard times has dried up most of the metal of any kind laying around.

Lots of folks scrapping out that old car/truck/tractor/??? that has been sitting in their yard (the stuff that we would drive past and try to buy...). Some of the guys locally with flat bed wreckers are even moonlighting them to pick and haul junk cars for a percentage of the scrap price now...One of the big shredder/seperator scrapping establishments is located just outside our town - seems there is a constant flow of semi flatbeds stacked with crushed cars and such flowing into that place all the time. Have seen quite a few CARS that I wouldn't mind having go in there and never come back out...

I also think that some people are starting to get fed up with our throw away society and are starting to buy the older heavy duty stuff (back to gt talk..) these days instead of buying the disposable junk from the box store. My neighbor, who is on his THIRD box store lawn tractor since I have known him, has asked me to find him an older reliable gt. He sees me with my 70's and 80's stuff that doesnt break and is fixable if it does. Compared to his throw away parts and light duty design, guess he finallly sees the light...