• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Finally had a chance to get the snow gear on some of the Bolens :thumbs:

Also going to have the 850 with the Blade and EK10 with the blower ready as backups :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 11 10 12 001.JPG
  • 11 10 12 002.JPG
  • 11 10 12 003.JPG

• daytime dave and MailmAn have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Sounds like you are ready Brian,which is more than I can say for myself at this moment.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like you are ready Brian,which is more than I can say for myself at this moment.

I was about 2 weeks behind this year, Normally I get them ready the last week in October since the weather can be pretty unpredictable here.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Looks good. How much snow can you push with the 2 wheeler? It would be very maneuverable! I haven't taken the loader off my plow tractor yet. The walk behind blower is ready to roll though. The long range forecast for the next 10 days or so here is not showing any snow.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Looks good. How much snow can you push with the 2 wheeler? It would be very maneuverable! I haven't taken the loader off my plow tractor yet. The walk behind blower is ready to roll though. The long range forecast for the next 10 days or so here is not showing any snow.

Before I owned a 2 wheel Bolens I never thought they could push much but after a couple years of owning one and pushing snow/ dirt around They can handle just as much a load as the 4 wheel tractors.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Looks great...I love that walkbehind...was never really into them but I recently bought one with pulleys, gears and all except the engine. Hey it was $10 so I couldn't refuse and I think it'll make a great project. Anyway, here's my set up, plain and simple but this ol girl will move alota snow, she never fails......
ariens.jpg ariens2.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Good looking team there Brian.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Anyway, here's my set up, plain and simple but this ol girl will move alota snow, she never fails......

AH! The good old late 1960's vintage Ariens Sno-Thro. I have one of them myself. It is a really nice unit and very durable and reliable. I bought one used 2 winters ago for $200 that ran great and has the 120VAC electric starter on it. I hardly ever use the starter though since it starts so easily with the pull start, but it did come in handy when troubleshooting a bad carb last year since I would have had to pull my arm off turning the engine over by hand! lol... I bought one because I remember growing up my dad had the exact same Ariens Sno-Thro as well and it always worked great. He still has it, granted it has a newer engine on it now. But the frame and body will last forever on those things.

I also picked this up on the side of the road last year and got it running. It is a 1965 Snow-Bird with a 4HP Briggs and Stratton engine on it. I put some work into it rebuilding the carb, fixing the extended recoil starter, replacing the belts, replace the exhaust muffler, replacing some missing or wrong hardware to hold it together, etc... I have to say, it runs great now and starts by the 2nd pull every time. I just have yet to test it out on any snow since we didn't get any last year! I tried selling it last year too but had no takers on it. But still, I hated to think that someone was just going to throw this out for the junkman to scrap, so I had to rescue it! Plus, the price was right (free)!

PB029208.jpg PB029220.jpg PB029211.jpg

(And yes, I realize that this is getting way off-topic for a Bolens forum... But still, I couldn't help sharing!)
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:23 AM

It is a 1965 Snow-Bird with a 4HP Briggs and Stratton engine on it. PB029220.jpg

I have manuals for most of the SnowBird snowblowers, if needed.

What model do you have?

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have manuals for most of the SnowBird snowblowers, if needed.

What model do you have?

Thanks, Bruce! I actually have model:

PB029234.jpg
(Power Snow Remover S-227)

Also, if it helps at all I found this tag on the frame when I was cleaning it off after I got it and was in the process of fixing it up:

PA199087.jpg

I'm pretty sure that has to be a full Model # (or maybe a Serial #?) for the machine.

I think I actually found a manual for the Ariens Sno-Thro already too since I had to find one to troubleshoot my dad's problem with his. We think he broke a roll pin in the gearbox on the auger mechanism last year (one of the few times he actually used it) since the impeller spins with the engine but the auger doesn't. Still, if you have anything for that one too, might just double-check it with what I have here.

#11 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 05:33 PM

I actually have model:

(Power Snow Remover S-227)

Also, if it helps at all I found this tag on the frame when I was cleaning it off after I got it and was in the process of fixing it up:

I'm pretty sure that has to be a full Model # (or maybe a Serial #?) for the machine.

I think I actually found a manual for the Ariens Sno-Thro already too since I had to find one to troubleshoot my dad's problem with his. We think he broke a roll pin in the gearbox on the auger mechanism last year (one of the few times he actually used it) since the impeller spins with the engine but the auger doesn't. Still, if you have anything for that one too, might just double-check it with what I have here.

On the SnowBird, the S-227 is the model number. ...The other number would be the serial number.

I have no info for the Ariens.