• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I was hoping to get some suggestion as to possible replacement engines that would be fairly easy to install (not a lot of modifications) on a T65.

I believe the original engine was a Briggs & Stratton 5.75 hp.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 12:45 PM

More information would be helpful. A few pictures usually clarify things too. Good Luck

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:47 PM

The original style engine wouldn't be too hard to find or are you looking for more power? I forget the exact model but it was a 143???.

#4 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have a t70 that I am looking to replace the engine in also. The original Briggs is pretty tired. I think I will be trying to locate a kohler k161 to replace it with....

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:38 AM

a honda clone might fit. also there are other briggs that will work. not sure about the crank shaft size on the t65. u need the same size so the pulleys will fit, on the t70 is can take a honda clone, briggs 7-11 hp, kohler, tecumseh, ect anything with a 1in crank
  • TGaffney said thank you

#6 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I bought a 7hp horizontal shaft engine from harbor freight last night - I think if I remove the gas tank that came with the new engine and use the tank that is mounted in the tractor I can get it to fit. If it fits then I'll have to make some kind of a mounting plate as I don't think the bolt holes on the the new engine will align with the holes on the tractor frame.

I powewashed the panzer today to get the grease and oil off to make it easier to work on. As I was washing off the tractor the gray paint that had been applied at some point was coming off in places to reveal the robin's egg blue that is original. My Dad bought this T65bused sometime in the late 60's and it was gray when he got it. I need to post some pictures.

I have a question about the pulley arrangement on the engine crankshaft. This tractor has a power take off pulley system on the right side of the frame near the front wheel. There are two drive pulleys (not sure if that is the right term) one for forward one for reverse. So I'm womdering how many pulleys need to be on the engine crankshaft? Are there three - one for the PTO, a second for the forward puley and a third for the reverse pulley? Or are ther two - one for the PTO and one that is shared by the forward reverse pulleys? If that is the case the drive belt must slip from pulley to pulley as the shifter is moved - like on a 10 speed bike.

Any info on this and any pictures of a comprable set up would be appreciated!

#7 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 184 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:48 AM

There are 3 groves and a rubber wheel. There is also 3 grooves and a machined flat surface on the driveshaft. You have to manually move the belt between the 3 different groves to change forward speeds. The lever on the right basically applies tension to the belt for forward movement, or pushes the driveshaft pulley flat surface against the rubber wheel on the engine pulley to drive in reverse.

I will have an engine pulley w/worn reverse wheel available if you're interested? I'm swapping my 5.25hp briggs for a 20hp kohler magnum twin. The driveline is being completely redesigned.
  • TGaffney said thank you

#8 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the explanation Bow Down. I am interested in your engine pulley - any idea when you might be swapping it out? Also what price would yu be asking?

I saw that you live in the Utica / Rome area. I grew up in Whitesboro and get up that way every few months to visit family.

#9 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 184 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Cool. I work in whitesboro... Not sure what it's worth. I have the engine out. Just need to remove the pulley. I was told the engine runs but the recoil cord is broken. Was on my list to get it running.

I do not believe it's the original engine though. Similar size Briggs.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S III 32gb via tapatalk 2.

Edited by BowDown, November 13, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#10 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Bow Down - I sent you a message with my contact info - feel free to send me a message back or call when you figure out what the pulley is worth - if your willing to sell.

#11 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 184 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Back @ cha.