#47 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hey marlboro,

Didn't know if you knew this......Home Depot carries leaf rakes.....Ok so I know that kinda spoils the fun. :D Someday when I grow up I want a shop with as much as you have "laying around". :worshippy1: Things are coming together nicely. Keep us posted and we all expect video of you putting her to use.

#48 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Looks good!

What he said.

#49 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Moose, a leaf rake or two I could handle, but 4 acres of huge mature trees defoliating on the lawn, not so much. Maybe in my younger years LOL.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, maybe some more bits will fall into place tomorrow. Got some more linkage welded in tonight, and some other bits done tonight as well in the couple hours I had after family gatherings. :thumbs: Pics, well, maybe tomorrow...

#50 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Nice looking wagon. I like the 4 wheel steer set up, it should work great.

Personally I would ditch the spring mounts for a couple of reasons. First I would want the bed to be firm and stout. The springs will allow it to move around and even sag on which ever corner has the most weight. Second since none of the wheels drive there is no need go through a lot of work to allow the axles to swivel for ground contact maximization. Check out the pic I attached. I would weld a spacer block to the bottom of the bed frame and since you don't want to weld the axles you could weld a flat plat to the bottom of that and run a U bolt around the axle.

Notice how hay wagons are built. They are built so that the axles are solid mounted to the bed and the whole wagon bed acts as the frame. Of course they will twist some depending on the terrain.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03693.JPG

• marlboro180 said thank you

#51 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:05 PM

That's a good thought twostep, I'll have a look at that in the morning. Making the upper bed integral with the frame is a good thought for sure, though I am not sure which way I want to go on it just yet. Guess I'll make up my mind when the stinger is in my hand LOL...

Edited by marlboro180, November 27, 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#52 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 12:25 AM

Twostep, just thought I'd let ya know you were spot on. I whacked one of the srings with the trusty ball peen hammer, and it fell over like a tree in the woods .... rebuilt it some tonight, with your idea in mind. At the current pace I wonder how this is gonna be as a snow vacuum, rather than a leaf vac??? :bigrofl: Might have to add skiis to it.... oh wait .... N O o o . .
  • twostep said thank you

#53 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Aww heck, this thing is taking too long, like every other thing around here. But I made some progress anyways.

Cast is a sinister thing to weld to, but the TIG welds I made did not break when I smacked 'em. Hard. Had some cast rod, laying about, made a cover pass with other filler, seems to be okay. Not the prettiest, but okay.

The vertical tubes receive the upper frame, and the nuts and bolts tighten things into place, allowing just a bit of flex, as Twostep suggested , sorta.

Got the thing primed, and ready for the next step.

Anyways , the proof is is the pudding, as they say.

Aww frig, my card is corrupted, pics will have to happen another day, I am too tired to fix this darn computer thing...

Edited by marlboro180, December 15, 2012 - 11:09 PM.

• Moosetales said thank you

#54 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:05 AM

I feel your PAIN regarding SLOW progress. :thumbs: Just so you know, I've ordered the cigars and am anxiously awaiting to hand them out once we hear the vac is "delivered"; BTW, is it a boy or a girl? :D

#55 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:48 AM

If it wasn't for problems what fun would projects be. I mean who wants to go in the shop and in a short time have everything turn out exactly the way they wanted with no hitches or replans needed.

Oh wait...
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#56 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 12:18 PM

If it wasn't for problems what fun would projects be. I mean who wants to go in the shop and in a short time have everything turn out exactly the way they wanted with no hitches or replans needed.

Oh wait...

I'm in the garage right now freezing my a** off....so count me in for things going as planned so I can get back where it's warm. LOL

#57 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey marlboro,

Just wanted you to know that I bagged up some leaves before the snow hit here so if you don't get the vac completed before the snow flies in your neck of the woods I can mail them to you so you can try it out in your shop........ :thumbs: I believe I speak for others when I ask.....where are those pics you promised? :mad2: (J/K)

#58 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Oh, send them leaves right along, the vac is still on the bench, good and ready..... to tear them up. I'll gladly hand feed them into the impeller region.

It's the cart that is the issue, and the darned Elves in the shop I keep tripping over, short little tards... :rolling:

Edited by marlboro180, December 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#59 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Oh wait, and Jack frost seems to have a frozen fist on that SDcard, cold hearted bastard...

#60 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 06:17 PM

free trac vac I hate you.... I can't seem to get that lucky, I paid a pretty penny for mine (used and not running when I got it even)