• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:17 PM

That 4-wheel steer throws a kink in things as far as swivel between front and rear. The drawing is only an idea, but if done semi-correctly, it will let the bed rest on the springs. That will allow some twist over uneven terrain. Kind of a 'try this' type of situation.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#32 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Interesting idea. How is the 4ws gonna work when you back up?

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I assume it will work backwards. :bigrofl:

Sorry, the gremlins made me say it! lol

#34 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Instead of welding the springs, simply run a bolt down through the center of them, just snug. Bolt will hold parts together, but allow the bed and spring to move up and down. Just a thought.

#35 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:22 PM

I presume not real well, but the proof will be in the pudding. In all reality , I am just making this for the big fall cleanups, and the 4 acres I cut have plenty of rather large Oak, Maple , Pine , and well,,,, lots'a trees, but no backing up really necessary. I'm sure getting it into the shed will be a conundrum of sorts though LOL....

#36 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:24 PM

Instead of welding the springs, simply run a bolt down through the center of them, just snug. Bolt will hold parts together, but allow the bed and spring to move up and down. Just a thought.

I really don't want to drill a hole through the axles. Welds stuck to cast iron can be erased readily , holes are not so easily mended properly. Trying to keep the integrity of the 400 series axles rather intact.....

Edited by marlboro180, November 18, 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:01 AM

I really don't want to drill a hole through the axles. Welds stuck to cast iron can be erased readily , holes are not so easily mended properly. Trying to keep the integrity of the 400 series axles rather intact.....

The mid 80's~ Sears used a pair of seat springs that bolt on (to the frame). Haven't got a pic right now. One thing about yours that bothers me is the springs are hardened and may break at the welds, especially on cast iron.
As far as backing, you will probably be better off unhooking and do that by hand.

#38 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I may be talking way out of my league here so take this with a grain of salt. How about run a threaded bolt up through the springs (as suggested by bmerf) but weld the post to the axle instead of drilling a hole through the axle? You could drill a hole through your bed support beams and that way you could adjust the tension the springs are under; tighten for a stiffer ride or loosen for a softer ride. If you were concerned that the bolt stem might snap off in the bed leaned too far left or right, you could fabricate a bracket that could be welded to the axle and somehow have a pivot point that would connect to the bolt (holding it securely) but allowing the stem of the bolt to pivot left or right ever so slightly should it need to.

Regarding the placement of the springs, you know best since you are looking at it in person, so take this with a grain of salt. I can't visualize what's going on top of the bed and I don't know the type of weight you will be hauling on the bed but I'm wondering if you might be ahead by moving the springs out to the edges a couple more inches or at least add four rubber "bumpers" at each corner to prevent the bed from leaning so much that it bangs against the axle or snaps one of your welded bolt stems.

#39 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:43 AM

T One thing about yours that bothers me is the springs are hardened and may break at the welds, especially on cast iron.
As far as backing, you will probably be better off unhooking and do that by hand.

Agreed about the springs, and the weld stress imparted on them. And yes , backing will most likely be an issue, especially because I intend to make the tongue rather short. I have a single axle utility trailer that has a real short tongue, and man, what a pain compared to my bigger trailers. Now add the 4WS, and it's all out the window LOL.

Moose- I like the threaded rod idea and will certainly look at that, especially because I have some rod in the shop... Thanks!

Edited by marlboro180, November 19, 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#40 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:47 PM

Not much happened on the axle to frame mount decision, though I did find some longish U- Bolts that might get used to capture around the upper frame, and the axles. Thinking short studs that will locate in the center of the springs as well might do the trick.

I did, however, get some shop time in tonight and get the steering assembly fabbed and welded up, though not mounted. It turned out just how I wanted--- " A little of this, a little of that," and a nice welder to help bring it together.
  • KennyP said thank you

#41 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Got the steering assembly actually mounted, looks pretty sturdy.

One thing I did not anticipate was the front steering cross link changing dimensions fore and aft as the thing is steered. I solved that by "milling" a slot in the steering drawbar , then running some weld along the edges of the slot to harden it up a bit seeing as the steering bolt is just some grade 5 stuff I had laying about. I'm sure it will last more than long enough.

Oh, got the engine running better , degreased, and painted, along with the blower housing and chute adaptor gizmo. Rattle canned that number LOL.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03689.JPG
  • DSC03693.JPG
  • DSC03686.JPG
  • DSC03696.JPG
  • DSC03685.JPG

Edited by marlboro180, November 23, 2012 - 11:06 PM.

• machinist said thank you

#42 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:01 PM

That is an excellent looking drawbar for the wagon.

#43 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks, I'll see how it pulls soon enough, hopefully before the real snow flies... :hitting_self_roller:

#44 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:16 AM

Im sending you snow.. i hate to not share

Unit is looking good so far bro..

#45 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 02:52 AM

You keep that white dirt, for now, just long enought for me to clean up these leaves . And yes that might be spring at this rate LOL.