#31 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 02:21 PM

You can use an aftermarket Harley Davidson coil to replace your coil if it is indeed dead.You can pick one up for around $40 shipped on Ebay or cheaper for a used one.

Used
http://www.ebay.com/...4eb6b1c&vxp=mtr

New
http://www.ebay.com/...7a50479&vxp=mtr

Looking at the Ohms ratings Harley coils are rated for 3-5 Ohms.I've used them on Onans and Kohlers in our old Skid steers and a couple GTs.

Have you tried to replace the condenser?Those pesky little critters have been the kink in all of my old machinery for years.My old saws and lawnboys and tractors have all had either they're condensers changed or EI modules put in they're place.Darn things used to cost me around $1-$1.50 now I'm lucky to find one for $10.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 09, 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#32 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • Member No: 14463
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Out of habit I double checked myself and put the coil back on and tried starting it. It fired right up. Yey!! But then it died. It would only run as long as I dripped fuel into the carb. It's getting fuel to the pump. The inlet side fitting on the pump was loose so I pulled the cover to tighten the fitting. The cover is a nylon type plastic and was cracked on the outer edge. I don't know if that would have caused it to suck air enough or what. As a temp repair I put Seal All on the threads then threaded the fitting in and coated the cracked portion of the housing till I can get a new one. After its cured I'll try again. It sounded good for what I ran it.

#33 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I think you have a 1886s-05.

#34 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks wilberj. I think I'm going to ask John at the shop for the phone number of the guy who brought it there. Maybe I can trace it back some. Put the pump cover back on and it still won't run on its own. Pulled off the outlet hose and started it. Fuel pump is working. Looks like its off with the carb for some cleaning.

#35 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Pulled off carb and cleaned it. Reinstalled and adjusted it and it runs pretty good. Drove it around for at least 10-15 minutes. Hydrostatic and hydros work good with no leaks. Locks up both wheel and pulls good. I think it may even pull a little wheely on pavement. Only a couple of isses for now. I live in Western NC and have some steep places on our property. When I get on some of the steeper stuff for very long going uphill it starts to run a little rough and blow smoke. I don't know if it has to do with the oil being over filled a little. I'm going to change the fluids and filters so I'll lower the crank case level down to the full mark and see if that cures it. The brakes aren't engaging. Going to have to pull the wheels and check the pads then replace if needed or adjust. I haven't went through the online manuals yet but do these things have a parking brake feature? Its missing the pivot bracket and pully for the front portion of the PTO engagement. No big deal for me now as I don't have a use for the PTO system as of yet. I may make them but if anyone have the parts they would relinquish for a fair price I would be interested. What I really need is a 3 point hitch for it(# 18086). There is a fella that has a three point hitch (# 18010) for the previous gen large frames for sale in the Greenville SC Craigslist if anyone is interested. There are other small issus like the lights don't work and cleaning up some cobbled areas from previous owners that I'll correct. It may get yet another coat of paint also. All in all I'm very please with it for now espically for what I paid for it and what its purpose will be. Thanks you all for your help.

#36 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yay 6 coats of paint LOL i would get some paint stripper and clean it up should be nice when done the smoke might be that its running rich turn you high speed in 1/8 to 1/4 turn Also the wheely i pulled on on my h14 with the tiller a i did some 20 foot wheely :P pretty awesome deal at $150

#37 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:50 PM

The is a lock by the brake.

#38 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:02 AM

wilberj. Apparently in the PO's infinant wisdow they removed the brake latch assembly. Or I have no wisdom because after studying the parts list for 1886s-05 ,06 and HT20 I can't figure out what I have or I should say what I'm missing. For the 05 and 06 a brake latch assembly is shown that is made out of round stock. For the HT 20 two types are shown. The same for the 05 and 06 and then there is one shown made out of flat stock. Then what is shown in the parts list for the brake arm assembly for the 05, 06 and HT20 dosn't look like what's in mine(see 2nd pic). I don't know what to try to make or buy cause I don't know what I'm looking at. Anyone with some pics of their brake arm assembly and latch. While I'm asking, Would anyone have any pics of the tins or heat shields on these things? I know I'm missing at least the top one. Also would it be correct that I'm missing a cooling fan on the driveshaft?(see pic) Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1358.JPG
  • IMG_1362.JPG
  • IMG_1365.JPG
  • IMG_1366.JPG

#39 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I relized after posting that its possible that whomever drew up the diagrams didn't give a good angle on depicting the end of the brake arm assembly where the torsion spring rest on the bent round stock portion on the brake arm shown in my photo. I would still like someone to confirm this please. Then I guess its what style of brake latch assembly would I want on it because the roll pin that the brake latch pivots down to catch on for all models show the same part number.