• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • Member No: 14463
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hollo members. Newbie here. I was at a friends sons lawnmower shop looking for a impeller and housing to make a custom leaf vacuum system and I spied this Bolens. The guy knows very little about it so I googled and this forum came up so I hope you can help me. All I was told is that it has a twin cyl cast iron Kohler engine it it. Someone painted the whole thing white and green so I can't find any model or serial numbers anywhere.. There appears to be some creamish paint under the hood where the white is peeling off. There is also red paint showing in places where the white or green paint is peeled or chiped off. It has dual hyd ports in the front and rear. some pieces of a three point hitch in the rear. A PTO behind the front axle with splines facing front and rear. It has a filter under the seat area and a dipstick behind the seat. It won't start due to no spark. Coil or points bad maybe. Read some where that Kohler coils are expensive. The guy said the owner ran it last year. I'm a welder and decent mechanic but have very little experiance with three point hitches and the like. I have no experiance what so ever with Bolens and have no Idea what this is. Is it a HT large frame of sort. What kind of value is this worth? What do I need to install a scrape blade to the back? I want it for mostly grading !/4 mile plus of our gravel road. I hope I can post the photos of it I took. I have other photos to post if the first one post. I need to know asap as others are looking at it. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1345.JPG
  • IMG_1346.JPG

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:51 PM

its not a ht23 as it has no Hi N Low lever id say its a ht20 or ht18 ot 1886 thats been painted i dont have a Lg frame so i couldn't tell you about the 3 point but i do know a 3point blade is not dificult to build with some pipe and angle iron Actually i built a 3 point blade at school in a week i have a understanding of 3 point and you can make them (i would make one for my tube frame if i had torches to bend the 1/2 x 2 flat bar) you will figure it out The large frames (where i am are Not cheep they sell for more then 650 for the tractor alone ) Whats the chance you can get a picture of the back of the tractor ? Also welcome the the forum there is a lot of manuals and brochures (in the Manuel section of this forum ) you might be able to find a picture of a rear blade
cheers
Ty

#3 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:54 PM

More photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1340.JPG
  • IMG_1341.JPG
  • IMG_1342.JPG
  • IMG_1343.JPG
  • IMG_1344.JPG

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:21 PM

It's an HT18 or HT20. The end of the frame at the rear is the give away. Those rods aren't part of the 3-pt hitch for that tractor. Those are most likely for a tiller.

The 3-pt only uses only one lift arm which would be on the left side, and is made from flat bar stock..

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:26 PM

the 2 arms sticking back are for the tiller/ other rear attachments Not the 3 point but that being said it would not be hard to build a blade get a 4x4 1/4 piece of Sq tubing and make a u shaped piece of 2 1/2 x1/2 flat stock to go to the rear pins in the axle then weld up rights on for those lift Arms make the blade of a oil air pig or a section of pipe weld a 7/16 plate on it for the swivel then gusset it .. Strong as a bull and you have a home made rear blade

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:26 PM

It's an HT18 or HT20. The end of the frame at the rear is the give away. Those rods aren't part of the 3-pt hitch for that tractor. Those are most likely for a tiller.

The 3-pt only uses only one lift arm which would be on the left side, and is made from flat bar stock..

Also the brakes

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:37 PM

...(i would make one for my tube frame if i had torches to bend the 1/2 x 2 flat bar) ...

Sounds like you are talking about making the lower lift arms.

Maybe these 2 links would help with that:
http://www.redlandhi...ccessories.html
http://www.eezs.com/...bCategory_Id=54

If you can come up with a decent 3-pt for the tube frames, and would be willing to make more than one...there are probably a few people (including me) that would be more than willing to buy one from you.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 07, 2012 - 05:40 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#8 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ty. Thanks for your reply. No I didn't step back and take a photo of the back after I took the photo of the axle and hitch. Its about a 20 min drive to the shop. I don't know if its firm but I was told $150 for it. I have a 38" scrape blade I've been using with my 21 HP Yard Machine GT model 835 by MTD I bought in 1999. Its gear driven and the mech lift arm for the blade is getting old(me too) to keep using. (see photo) The thought of having a hyd system and the price caught my eye. Also thought it was kinda cool looking. I like old iron. Thats my DD green Scout behind it in the first photo. I thought my blade would be fairly easy to mod to work on this Bolens if I bought it and got it running good enough to use. I didn't see any levers or knobs for it but would this have any kind of cruise control? Thats one thing nice about my current gear drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1350.JPG

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi welcome to GTtalk.
Like said above you have a HT18/1886s-06 or a early HT20/2086.
But this may be a 1886s-05 is there black or white under the green on the frame?

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:59 PM

If your not going to pick it up for $150 I will......

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Get it .... Its worth 150 in the 2 rear tires 150 is a steal also the hydro is SO MUCH NICER THAN GEAR ... I feel sorry for the sears guys as there is not many Hydros out there

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:06 PM

If your not going to pick it up for $150 I will......

Not if I get there first....and I still have the trailer hitched to the back of the motor home :D :D :D

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Not if I get there first....and I still have the trailer hitched to the back of the motor home :D :D :D

Dont you need to retern it?

#14 tasthree OFFLINE  

tasthree
  • 3 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:11 PM

wilberj. Sounds like I'll be hooking up the trailer in the morning. I read some where about some hydrostatic drive that there is a knob or lever on left side in the back some where to disengage to move when not running. Would this have this feature?

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Dont you need to retern it?

Not until FRIDAY...and all it would take is a quick phone call to extend that :smilewink: