Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Worked On The Large Frame Last Night, I Got Some Issues To Attended To!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hello everyone, Currently I have had many projects/jobs going, and the biggest one lately has been preparing for the white stuff. Over the last few weeks I've kinda got that squared away, so I started tinkering with the bolens fleet again. "The Mutt" project is coming along, I just have to snap some pictures and update that thread hopefully this weekend, and I also decided to pull the mower off the big ht20 I picked up. The previous owner stated that he could never keep the belt on the deck. It would constantly throw the belt, so I thought I would start there. While pulling the deck I found some issues that need attending. The motor is a bit damp with engine oil on the underside- any commom seals or leaks on these motors I should look at 1st before I really tear into it?? Also the pto bearings seem to be loose/shot. I can wobble the pto pretty good up and down after I removed the pto shaft. I also knew the muffler pipe was bad, but now found a broken stud where the exhaust bolts too, and the others aren't looking to healthy either. Lastly, the deck throwing the belt problem I was told could be the whole deck housing. A guy told me that the large deck housings would warp, or flex, and I would never get the belt right without fixing/repairing the deck shell. Im certainly hoping thats NOT the issue. Any suggestions or help with the above issues would be great, Thanks everyone!!

#2 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:04 PM

I would not think a deck like that would warp they are over made, its a 54 in" deck right?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would not think a deck like that would warp they are over made, its a 54 in" deck right?

:ditto:
I doubt the deck would be warped
The Bolens decks were solid, especially the Largeframe decks...

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have never put a tape measure on it, but its huge. My Massey ferguson sub compact has a 60" deck and this bolens deck is just as heavy and just as big. So I would say its atleast a 54" deck no smaller. My main concern really is the exhaust. I think all the bolts/studs are going to snap for the muffler in that cast housing. The cast housing appears to bolt to the cylinder head, and those bolts/studs look bad also.Really gonna have to think that repair through because I called a local dealer and he qouted me ALOT of $$$ for a used housing. I dont think the deck is warped, but a local Bolens guy told me that was a common thing to happen with them??? Im sure wilberj is a bit more experienced with large frames than the guy I spoke too. Well Im hoping to get back out into the garage sometime to enjoy some of the decent weather coming, and update people on my projects, but my week keeps filling up fast with "more important" things to do!!(wife's opinion).

#5 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 05:57 PM

The dealer may not know what cast housing you need his may have a used one off a deer thats not the same...

What we do is if a studs snaps off is we grind the stud off flat then drill and tap for a new stud or you can use a bolt.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Before trying to pull that exhaust, run the engine and warm the block up good. Try to loosen the studs/bolts while the engine is still warm. Some Acetone/ATF mix would be good for this, as well as candle wax applied to the hot bolts/studs.

#7 SnowmanPA OFFLINE  

SnowmanPA

• Member No: 2003
  • 12 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Kenny,

Candlewax to remove a stud??? Never heard of that one before...does it penetrate real well?

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:40 AM

Some folks swear by it. With the heat, the wax will wick down into the threads and lube them. The heat is the key to using it.