#1 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Good evening all!
Getting the tractors ready for the snow and one thing I lack is tire chains. Both of my tire sizes are 23.8.50-12. Should I get 2 or 4 link? Pros & cons?

I sadly don't have any wheel weights, but sure I'll figure something out.

Price wise, what's a fair value on chains? I see pricing all over the chart. Cheapest I've found so far are these:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35bf0716e6

$49.95 shipping for a set of two.

Thanks!

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:33 PM

It seems everyone prefers the two link over the 4 link. 2 link would have to ride smoother. Though I bought 4 link for my 318 and have no complaints.

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:58 PM

do yourself a favor regardless of style...get the red & black rubber chain tensioners from Amazon.com. They are like $7 for the set and are amazing for keeping your chains on no matter the terrain. I use them yearly and so do friends and family I've gotten them for.

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have used 4 link tire chains for a couple of years without any problems......BUT, I found some used 2 link chains this fall and plan on using them.
The $50 price you posted about looks like a good deal. The closer we get to winter, the more demand for these chains, and the price will probably go up.

As far as weight, you can put windshield washer fluid in your tires fairly inexpensive. A couple of years ago, I bought a 55 gallon drum of WWF for around $100.

Edited by KC9KAS, November 05, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:45 PM

All of my chains started out as car or truck chains. Some of them are really aggressive. All but one set are 4 link and they have done me well so far. I think the most I paid for chains is like $10 a set for almost new. Auction, flea market, etc. Are great places to find them. Lots of guys have a set or two in the garage left over from the 70's.

#6 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:32 PM

I got two sets of those $50 ones. I just don't have time, as I've looked for 2 years for used chains, and found very little. Now that i've bought them, I'll find them everywhere LOL.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Now that you have the chains, your next quest is gravity enhancement devices. WWF is a good start,but you will probably be wanting more.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:24 PM

I got a set of 2 link chains and tensioners from here:

http://www.tirechain...actorChains.htm

I like the tensioners as they are all steel and use springs instead of rubber. I have a set of chains and rubber tensioners on that the PO of another tractor I have, and one of the rubber ones just rotted away. I bought a 2nd set of tensioneers for it as well.

Here's what they look like

http://www.tirechain...DEN_TRACTOR.HTM
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#9 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:25 PM

I've made a few sets, getting not to bad at it now,

Just used old chain from were ever, 2 link,

I've got system for tensioner that works good, its a piece of round that get folded back over to provide tension,

I should take a pic when I put it on the H14.

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:38 AM

On smaller wheels like GT's 2 link is the way to go. On any wheel the correct size crosslinks and installation will determine whether or not you need "springy things".

>Size the chains right so the cross link/to side chain attaching links are completely off the tread area and are around towards the sidewall of the tire.

>Take the time to install the correct sized chains CORRECTLY, cross chains 90º to the side chains and no slack in the sides or cross links.

>Once you get the chains on right, trim off excess side chain links so they don't slap or hook anything back of the wheel. You won't ever need any "spare links" on them if you use them on the same tires. AND you'll never need to bother with any rubber bands or springs again.

>Correctly sized chains just won't allow room to fall off a tire. In fact, on full sized truck tires tensioners can pull a single chain off a tire that's going flat (at least it'll be in the snowbank instead of between the duals:D). Tensioners are good for keeping a broken link from whacking the truck body until you can put in a monkey link or replace the cross chain... (40-50mph truck plowing)

>On my JD GX335 (24/12/12) I found that one rear tire required one extra link in the inside side chain to allow for a difference in size from the other rear tire. I guess actual inflated size is not that critical at Carlisle for GT tires.

Disclaimer: May not apply to log skidder or large agricultural or earth mover tires. Luckily I never had to fool with those in the snow! :D

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'll second the WWF to the mix, unsprung weight is yer friend...

#12 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 09:43 AM

On the WWF, never heard of doing that before. Then again as an adult this is my 3rd winter in the North. Does it get installed into your tire? If so, how? Thanks guys!

#13 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Titus,

Yes, liquid ballast has long been used in tractors and GT's , calcium chloride mix in water is common, but rots a rim out over time. RV Antifreeze works ( propylene glycol) works too, Beet juice ( Rim Gard) seems fairly popular as well.

I have loaded a few sets of my tires with good 'ole WWF, and have had no issues.

There are many ways to get it in the rim/ tire, I like using an irrigation pump, some garden hose , and a fluid filling adaptor that mates the garden hose to the Schraeder valve on the rim, to the garden hose. The adaptor has a relief hole in it to purge the air as the fluid fills the tire.

I got my adaptor from Gemplers, it is found under the listing of Fluid Ballast Supplies.

Posted Image
http://www.gemplers....uid-Adapter-Kit

added: Many tire places will fill your tires with ballast for you. But, I am kinda a DIY'er :-)

Edited by marlboro180, November 06, 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:33 PM

You might want to check out this post, this was the system I used and it worked fine for what we're doing. If it was a 38" tire on a big tractor, I might reconsider the process, but this worked fine for a GT tire.
  • HowardsMF155 and marlboro180 have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:45 PM

You might want to check out this post, this was the system I used and it worked fine for what we're doing. If it was a 38" tire on a big tractor, I might reconsider the process, but this worked fine for a GT tire.

Why, thank you Alan :D .
  • MH81 said thank you