7 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi Guys! While I have been on the forum for a while, this is my first trip into the Bolens group. I have several Deere and Ford tractors. Now for why I am here:

I am selling some golf cart parts to friend of a friend. Long story short, he has a Bolens 853 that he wants to trade me for my stuff.

The 853 has been sitting out in the weather. There is a pretty little plant growing out of the seat.....Engine turns, tires look good. Hood has a medium coat of surface rust, but everything looks structurally sound. Doesn't seem to be froze up - throttle cable, hi/low, trans gearshifter, steering all work. Mower deck is the only attechment. Belts are all there but have some checking/cracking and I would replace them...

These were only made a couple years, correct? Any issues with hard to find parts, problem areas, things to watch out for?

I really don't need another tractor (according to my wife..... :rolling: ), so if I get this, it would most likely be a project to fix up and get running then sell/trade for something else. Course after I fix it up, who knows......

If he were selling it for CASH$$$ he says $150.00 as it sits. Course I would be trading it for stuff that didn't cost me anything (effectively) so the price is moot, but does that sound reasonable for a non-runner? Also consider that this is happening in FLORIDA - a virtual desert when it comes to GT's - not like you folks up north where they are for sale on every corner it seems.....

So what do you Bolens guys thing of the 853?

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Pics would be nice and I can't say as I've seen em' around much, as to to say how scarce parts may be. I'm sure one of the more seasoned guys can weigh in for more solid advice. If it's comin' in a swap I say; 'why not welcome a Bolens in and give it a try."

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Unfortunately, no pictures at this point..... I didnt have my phone with me when I went to check it out.

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:03 PM

There seems to be a few entries here about em' and the parts catalog., looks to be a stout enough tube frame, just below the 1050's from what I can tell...

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:59 PM

The 853's were made 1970-1972 and were a good sturdy machine.
Parts are interchangeable on most tubeframes so getting parts will not be a problem. I say get it and add a Bolens to your collection :D

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Re the numbering conventions - I am assuming the "8" represents the horsepower. Would therefore 1053 (if there is such an animal...) be the same tractor except for a bigger engine? Or is it just that the 8XX used the 8hp engine, and the 10xx were a different frame?

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,821 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 04:37 AM

Re the numbering conventions - I am assuming the "8" represents the horsepower. Would therefore 1053 (if there is such an animal...) be the same tractor except for a bigger engine? Or is it just that the 8XX used the 8hp engine, and the 10xx were a different frame?

Yes, the first numbers usually indicated the horsepower.

The 853 and 1053 used the same frame. ....The 853 had an 8hp B&S aluminum engine and a 3-speed transmission with HI/LO range selected by moving the drive belt idler pulley from one drive belt to the other. .....The 1053 had a 10hp cast-iron Wisconsin engine and a 6-speed transmission with the HI/LO range built into the transmission, and utilized dual belts to transmit power to the drive and PTO. .....The six-speed transmission had a locking differential.
  • Tennblue59 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have an 853 with a running engine but the driveshaft, stepped pulleys and clutch are shot. When trying to disassemble it the drive shaft snapped. The clutches, pulleys and driveshafts off of my parts tractors were all a little different. One of these days I'll come across a parts 853 or the driveshaft/clutch assembly. I've got several other tractors so I can be patient. If you need it in a hurry it may get expensive for Bolens parts. The old B&S engine should be cheap and easy to deal with. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, November 08, 2012 - 10:35 PM.