10 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:55 AM

Has anyone ever tried to plow black gumbo with a garden tractor?

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:51 AM

I don't know that it is the same thing your talking about. But in the winter 1984 I went to San Antonio Texas while layed off at the factory and built zero boundary fence around new homes. Digging post holes was an experience. The Black Gumbo clay was like rubber. I had to pour water in the holes and dip the muck out to set posts..

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have not tried to plow but I have used the LGT195 to dig a mud pit for the son's ATV and trail/mud tractor. Traction wasnt an issue due to the fact that it packs good. I had good luck with the rippers on the box blade. After a few passes of dragging out the loose stuff, it was packed back down. I went over it with a tiller and it was like digging cement.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Has anyone ever tried to plow black gumbo with a garden tractor?

Sounds like you have Chuck....where & when was this? I am not familiar with black gumbo.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Black Gumbo is a very sticky soil, I think it has a lot of clay in it. Digging it will be very similar to a clay soil, it sticks to everything.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Had to look at posting. Thought you were talking about my Wife's Cooking! :rolling:

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:46 PM

" My wife told me to take out the garbage.. I told her, you cooked it, you take it out"- Rodney Dangerfield

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Had to look at posting. Thought you were talking about my Wife's Cooking! :rolling:

Yummy!!! Only thing better is Etoufee!

#9 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 09:53 AM

Last Sat. I did. That is the nastyest stuff I have ever tried to plow. It is like cold tar. It turns over in chunks, some as big as basketballs. When I would get to it, I had to over reve the engine and shove the hydro wide open and the front wheels came a foot of the ground. The big tractors had to drop 1 or 2 gears to get through it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:08 AM

Ah black gumbo. Welcome to my life, boys. This whole area used to be lake bottom and the result is we have some very ugly soil. Clay that packs so hard you can roll an engine hoist with a big block across it. It really is like concrete. When I was building fences, I insisted on a hydraulic-driven PHD so when it got stuck, there was a reverse option. Even with that it often took a Jack-All and a wide vocabulary to get unstuck.

Still, though, the farmland around here was mostly broken with two horse teams, and a lot of was done with one horse or a team of oxen. Most GTs have more power than that.

#11 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Still, though, the farmland around here was mostly broken with two horse teams, and a lot of was done with one horse or a team of oxen. Most GTs have more power than that.

Don't bet on that. My neighbor's two Percherons pull a two bottom plow, I think 14" each. My other neighbor's one Haflinger pulls the same spring tooth harrow I barely pull with my Cub Cadet. Horses have better traction and can have far more than one horsepower, each. I don't know about oxen, but I bet they are pretty strong, too.